+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default No periods?

Hi, I'm a long term reader of this forum but it's my first time posting.
    I'm a mum to one little girl who is 5 😊 My husband and I were thinking of trying for a 2nd in the new year, I'm worried that might not be a possibility with how my cycle has just disappeared, so I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has been in a similar situation.

Has anyone else just had their periods stop with no medical explanation?

I have endometriosis and my periods are generally very heavy, long, usually arrive early, but I've not had my period come for 5 months now, nothing.
    No spotting or period pains, just nothing.

I've had blood tests done, ultrasounds, Pap smear and thin prep and all sorts and the only thing they found was a 7cm follicular cyst on my left ovary. Which hasn't gone by itself in the past 3 months.

I came off the implant 7 months ago as I had bleeding the whole time, I had 2 periods and now nothing.

My gynaecologist has said a follicular cyst won't cause changes in my cycle, but because it hasn't gone by itself I will need to have it removed, I'm on a waiting list right now and have no idea how long it will take to be removed.
    He has also said my ultrasounds and blood tests show no signs of PCOS.

I'm definitely not pregnant as I've just had a blood test and they checked HCG, I just had an ultrasound too.

I just want my period back.
    I'm so worried there could be something more going on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It could possibly be your endometriosis? I know when I was younger my periods would be all over the shop if I wasn't on the pill, my gyno put this down to the endo. The other thing could be if you were on the pill for years, that could also mess things around. Hopefully it will come back really soon so you can start trying for baby # 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Could it be peri menopause?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have u checked your thyroid levels? I also have endo, regular, long, heavy periods and the only time my period disappeared was when my thyroid was out of whack...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default No periods?

My period disappeared for four months suddenly and eventually I had a scan that revealed a 6cm cyst.

I really think you need to get that removed. When they discovered mine I was put straight on the waiting list for surgery and it was taken out with laparoscopic surgery within a few weeks.

There is a risk that the cyst could twist and cut off the ovary's blood supply (that's what they told me when I had mine).

Once the cyst was removed I got my period back. You need to get something done about that, in my opinion.

Edit: sorry just re-read properly, you are having it removed. Hopefully your cycle returns!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Was it implanon you used?
    My friend took 15 months to get her period back after coming off it.

It could be that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    my thyroid has been checked twice now and all good, so has my prolactin levels and anything else that could cause my body to stop periods, everything has come back normal 😕

They apparently ruled out early menopause as I'm still producing some particular hormone (sorry I can't remember what specific hormone it was)

As for the cyst, I agree it needs to come out, it hurts when I try to exercise, during intercourse it hurts, but the gynaecologist at the hospital was just so chill about it.
    My sister who is 31 just had a full hysterectomy a year ago due to ovarian tumours, my gynaecologist knows this and put it in the report that was sent to the hospital about having the cyst removed but the gynaecologist at the public hospital just brushed it off and told me my expected wait for laparoscopic surgery is a year and that this type of cyst will most likely be gone by then anyway (I pay to see a private gynaecologist, but as I don't have private health I have to go public for any surgery)
    I also had to have a leep procedure done 2 years ago for cervical cancer my recent Pap smear, thin prep and colposcopy all came back negative 2 months ago.

I'm quite freaked out the public hospital have put me on such a long waiting list, given my history and family history, I do worry this cyst isn't just a follicular cyst....
    Perhaps I should call my private gynaecologist and see if he can get in contact with the public hospital and see why I've been put on such a long waiting list.
    I do live in a rural area with the local hospital being quite small so maybe I should also ask about being referred to one closer to the city

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it was the Implanon, the whole time it was in I was bleeding, when it was removed my bleeding stopped a day later then 28 days after that I had a period, then another period 25 days later and then nothing.

I'm really hoping all this is just from my body trying to get back to normal after the Implanon.
    I really wanted to start charting my cycles this year and seeing how my endometriosis goes before trying for #2

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kimmymumma1 For This Useful Post:

DT75  (26-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kimmymumma1, I've had this happen before. I have pcos & endo. For years I've experienced really long & heavy periods but then they will just randomly stop for 10-12 months! I don't know why my body does this but has done this many times in the past. It's super frustrating, especially when ttc! I've been tested for all sorts of things but no ones really been able to tell me why they just stop for so long.

When we were ttc the doctors got me to tale clomid to force my body to ovulate & then get a period. Unfortunately we had to go to ivf but many of my friends have had success with clomid.