+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    These ones have been known to cause hyperactivity and behavioural problems and kids should avoid:

Colours
    102, 104, 107, 110, 122, 123, 124, 127, 129, 132, 133, 142, 143, 151, 155, 160b (Annatto), 173, 174, 175

Preservatives and examples of foods they are in.

Sorbates -
    Cheese and cheese based products, dips, drinks.
    200, 201, 202, 203

Benzoates - Soft drinks, cordials, medicine
    210, 211, 212, 213, 216, 218

Sulphites - Dried fruits, cordials, juices and processed meats.
    220, 221, 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227,228

Nitrates - Cured & processed meats (ham, bacon, hotdogs). They are prohibited for use in food for infants ( under 12 months). 249, 250, 251, 252

Proprionates - Bread and bakery products 280, 281, 282, 283

Artificial Flavours
    All – they don’t have numbers

Flavour Enhancers – Flavoured chips, corn chips, pop corn, flavoured savoury biscuits, instant noodle sachets, vegetable spreads,
    620-625 Glutames inc MSG
    627 Disodium Guanylate
    631 Disodium Inosinate
    635 Ribonucleotides
    Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein (HVP)

Artificial Sweeteners
    Aspartame 951
    Oh wow...

He has fresh ham and bacon.

Junk food is limited

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I find with DS that colour additives set him off. I've tried to get all of the ones on that list out of his diet. I've also had to get colour free antibiotics for when he needs them because he turns into a wild beast!!! I think I notice it more now when he has colours, I can see the difference in him where before I cut them out I thought his behaviour was normal for him. He's not a complete angel now but heaps better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, yes it can be normal behaviour. Children/toddlers often find it difficult to express or control their emotions or feelings.. Well let's be honest many adults don't know how to either πŸ˜‰ My advice would be to choose a method in dealing with the violence and stick to it. Even if After a week or two and there is no improvement. Kids are very clever, and wonder how far they can push before they get away with it. Consistency is th number one key. I would talk through your house rules and explain the consequences if they are broken and follow through each time.

In conjunction with this I would use a lot of positive praise for correct behaviour. Also having one one on one time together and including him in big boy roles in helping to care for his little sister.

And I just wanted to finish off by saying your doing a great job 😊

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarylee For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (27-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    My DS is 3.5 and I have a 10 week old. Is he bored? Does he have excess energy? My DS improved out of sight with a trampoline and cutting down tv. I also think it's the age, 3 sucks! Everything is an argument and I found DS pretty aggressive. I truly believe the trampoline has helped and giving him loads of time outside.
    Yes he has a trampoline and he certainly is much better behaved when we are in the garden or at the park, it's just that you can only do those things for so many hours a day, the rest of the time is the challenge! But I do agree that getting him outside more would help, glad to hear I'm not alone 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    It sounds like he might be sensing your weakness (late pregnancy and now a newborn attached to you) and exploiting it for all its worth, cheeky little thing! My DD was just about to turn 3 when DS came along and she did the same thing. For her it was more cheeky things and not doing as she was told rather than the physical stuff your DS is doing. But given you said he's not angry when he does it, it sounds like boundary pushing.

I don't really have much advice though, my DD got over it once she got used to DS being around and I wasn't as glued to the couch feeding him. All you can really do is be as consistent as possible with your discipline technique and ride it out.

Good luck!
    Thanks, I guess I know it's just a phase I just wanted to hear hat others have gone through it as well, as it's totally shocked me out of the blue! Should have expected it with the pregnancy though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarylee View Post
    Hi, yes it can be normal behaviour. Children/toddlers often find it difficult to express or control their emotions or feelings.. Well let's be honest many adults don't know how to either πŸ˜‰ My advice would be to choose a method in dealing with the violence and stick to it. Even if After a week or two and there is no improvement. Kids are very clever, and wonder how far they can push before they get away with it. Consistency is th number one key. I would talk through your house rules and explain the consequences if they are broken and follow through each time.

In conjunction with this I would use a lot of positive praise for correct behaviour. Also having one one on one time together and including him in big boy roles in helping to care for his little sister.

And I just wanted to finish off by saying your doing a great job 😊
    Thanks yes i agree he responds much better to positive praise rather than discipline. We are trying to just gently remind him that what he is doing is not acceptable, then distract him with other things. I tried a sticker reward chart for good behaviour but it didn't seem to excite him that much. He is really lovely when somebody is playing one on one with him so I guess it's his way of telling us he feels like he's not getting enough attention