+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default If your child got bitten at daycare what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    If it's just an isolated incident, there is no need to avoid them.

Imagine if it were your child, who was very frustrated at daycare one day for whatever reason, and lashed out and hit another child who was near him, and then the parent of that child told him to "stay away from that SAgirl's son". That would be OTT and not very nice, would it?
    Geez, why do I feel like I'm being attacked here? Or maybe I'm feeling over sensitive.

Anyway, there are already a few boys at daycare who are very cliquey and bully my son, so I don't see why I shouldn't try and protect him.

Edit: I also see a big difference between hitting and biting. I know kids don't see the difference but I wouldn't tell my child not to play with someone if they just hit him. In fact, I never tell my child who to play with and I wouldn't, I haven't in this situation.

By 'avoid them' I mean I wouldn't be encouraging the friendship, like i wouldn't go and seek out the mum of this child for a play date, unless my son specifically asked to play with him. Basically what I'm trying to explain is that I haven't said anything to him either way about this child as I don't even know him, all I said so far was that it wasn't nice of him to bite him and that if he does it again (or anyone else for that matter) then he must tell me or his teacher. I just won't be organising play dates with this child unless my son asked. (For the record, I haven't organised any playdates for him with any of the kids anyway as I don't actually know who his friends are or if he even has any, except for one boy who he played with a few weeks ago and DH happens to know this boy's father so we were going to arrange it)
    Last edited by SAgirl; 25-09-2015 at 14:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd ask what their policy is, and if this kid has bitten before (no need to know who it is). Purely because if it is an ongoing thing, the kids should be shadowed to an extent.

Our have both been bitten and done the biting, and I have worked in daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have another question, what's the general policy on cleaning the wound? I was told the daycare uses soap and water only, no dettol or antiseptic etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've never asked. Soap and water should be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    I have another question, what's the general policy on cleaning the wound? I was told the daycare uses soap and water only, no dettol or antiseptic etc
    No, antiseptics are going out of fashion, it has been shown they can be too harsh and can damage already broken skin and impede healing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They can't use dettol. Soap and water is fine... it's a bite from a child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    They can't use dettol. Soap and water is fine... it's a bite from a child.
    Yes and the mouth carries more germs than other body parts.

Was just asking as i think it's infected now. We're booked in to see the GP tomorrow morning.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (25-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes and the mouth carries more germs than other body parts.

Was just asking as i think it's infected now. We're booked in to see the GP tomorrow morning.
    Wow so it broke the skin a fair bit? My nephew was a biter and my DD was bitten all the time. One day she exploded in a ball of rage and did a massive bite on his face. They are still besties. So I've had it from both sides. My DD is truly lovely and sweet she just lost control once or twice. Sometimes they have trouble communicating and biting is how they express it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (26-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was the mum of a biter. One day he bit 6 kids. I was so ashamed and freaked out. They assured me it was age appropriate and not to worry. Thankfully he did grow out of it. Your kids bite or they don't. I used to hate the parents that think they were better than me cause their kids didn't bite. Like its was their sh1t hot patenting or something. Anyway, hope your boy is ok.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (25-09-2015),JustJaq  (26-09-2015),Mokeybear  (25-09-2015),PomPoms  (25-09-2015),Wise Enough  (25-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    I was the mum of a biter. One day he bit 6 kids. I was so ashamed and freaked out. They assured me it was age appropriate and not to worry. Thankfully he did grow out of it. Your kids bite or they don't. I used to hate the parents that think they were better than me cause their kids didn't bite. Like its was their sh1t hot patenting or something. Anyway, hope your boy is ok.
    Had a giggle over you signing 6 incident reports with your head bowed and shoulders slumped .... For shame 😀

DD's best friend at daycare went through a stage of biting her constantly, one she still has a scar from, apparently they competed endlessly over toys. It all worked out fine, I really love DD's bestie and we catch up for play dates as much as we can, it was a stage and he just grew out of it. It didn't mean he was less of a beautiful boy he was just acting on his frustration.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (26-09-2015)