Closed Thread
Page 16 of 106 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls, congratulations to all with births and bfp! Im just wondering if anyone feels like sharing their thoughts on telli g family friends and most importantly babies the donor egg story? I have always said that i will be very open to my future children about how they were conceived and also open about it to family members and friends. How does everyon else feel about it? I would just like to hear peoples opinions because its always good to see different points of view especially on a topic that although has become our normal, is perhaps not that normal to others. We have not yet told our parents that we have moved onto overseas egg donation because mostly i wanted to be able to surprise them with the "im pregnant" thing but its getting harder to think of excuses as to why im not around for a few weeks at a time! Although i dont mind people knowing we are using donor eggs because i feel very lucky to have such wonderful women helping me acheive my dream- i have a mother with a very loud mouth and i dont really want her telling every second person she meets about my story. At least not until i get a positive outcome. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @ECM1981 - you could always just tell people you are on holiday in Africa. And you are going back because you didn't get to do everything you wanted to do last time ? I don't think there is any realistic way to keep the donor egg part a secret - not for me anyway so honesty is the best policy. Ideally I would only want close family to know about the egg donor part however there is also a part of me that feels like the more people that know about it, the more childless couples out there will potentially hear that there IS another way. I NEVER would have known about Cape Town if I hadn't stumbled onto this forum and thank God that I did.
    Personally I just hate people using the term 'infertile' about me. I'm a bit sensitive about that bit.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JulieMalooley For This Useful Post:

ECM1981  (02-10-2015),Hopeful1975  (02-10-2015),KLM0511  (04-10-2015),MamaKes  (22-12-2015),mardicharli  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    hi ladies, completely stupid noob question but can someone please explain why you need to go overseas for donor eggs? is the donor egg situation in Australia not very good?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi turquoisecoast
    The main reasons i chose to do donor egg overseas is because its anonymous, finding a donor was an easier process as they had a huge database of donors and in South Africa a large choice of girls with all different hair colour skin colour etc. A bonus is that the ivf process is slightly cheaper, the clinic i use is fantastic but you do have the added cost of having to do an overseas holiday but i love travelling so its a great excuse. I personally dont want to do egg donor in oz because i dont really want to have a 'relationship' with the person who chooses to donate and in Australia you must not be anonymous to your recipient-at least i think thats right? The only person other then donor from SA i would have picked is my sister but unfortunately she carries the same cystic fibrosis gene as me. Also i think there is a long waitlist in australia. But if yiu have someone you know who is willing to donate to you and you are happy with that then it may be an easy process but i couldnt tell you honestly as it isnt something i really looked into. I just jumped straight into South Africa!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ECM1981 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @turquoisecoast, agree with all those points. It is hard to find a donor in Australia. My first donor was in Australia and all up with her ivf, my fet's for 5 embies, I was out of pocket around $30,000. In Cape Town, the initial IVF cycle was about $7500, then each FET after that is around $500 (I think). Of course there is the travel costs, but I had reached a point where everything had been about IVF/money for so long that I was extremely grateful to combine it with a holiday. And yep, their list of donors is as long as your arm and completely anonymous.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JulieMalooley For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    thanks for the replies ladies. I've always wondered about that so glad I asked

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    The donors are also generally younger too do therefore a higher chance of success, in Australia you have to have finished your own family if you want to donate, therefore most donors are 33+,

11. The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

ECM1981  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone have any idea what the statistics are for a pregnancy completing after a BFP with donor eggs ie in my case? This will teach me to be a POAS-a-holic.... Just had a pretty light line. I know urine concentration, FMU, varying tests etc but it still is a worry and DP asked the question and I didn't know the answer....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    It would be 15% miscarriage rate that applies to all pregnancies.
    Hoping its just a dodgy test love x

14. The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

JulieMalooley  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by emski72 View Post
    It would be 15% miscarriage rate that applies to all pregnancies.
    Hoping its just a dodgy test love x
    I'm madly rustling up another wee for another test ...