Closed Thread
Page 104 of 106 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1057
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cjocoh71 View Post
    Happy New Year from Canada!

I am breathing again. Had a bright red, but very brief bleed on Xmas day, but everyone was on holidays until this week. Finally had an u/s yesterday to confirm that in fact all is well and can thankfully confirm that both babes are super active and continuing to grow well. We also saw both heartbeats again. What a journey this is ...!!!

As for safety in CT, it is a lot like any big touristy city. Always requiring you to be mindful of your surroundings at all times. I have done much at night, although always with DP, and we had a rental and kept to main, busy areas.

I was born in Johannesburg, but have not lived in SA for almost 40 years, but have travelled extensively throughout tHe country. More recently, DP and I have road-tripped from CT to Jo'burg, as well as into the bush, and driving at night has been fine. Jo'burg in general is an entirely separate kettle of fish and I would not use the word safe to describe it, nor am I a fan at all. But for my 91-year old grandmother, I would NEVER venture there at all!

And then finally, as for seaside or beaches not to be missed, I would highly recommend both Muizenberg and Llandudno beach, both easy drives (under 30mins) from downtown CT, more undiscovered and not to be missed!

To many of you set to begin your travels, best of luck!

Xoxo
    Happy new year also! That's great news everything is ok. Very frightening though. Look after yourself

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were told this week that we have good embryos frozen so we are definitely going over hopefully the last week in February. I am looking at travelling on SAA. We used them 2yrs ago, they were partnered with Qantas at the time so we were actually on a Qantas plane from here to Joburg. Now they are using Virgin so the ladies who have used SAA recently, what is it like? Do you have to pay for your food and to see movies. Tahli you mentioned the seats were smaller, would they still be ok for travelling with a toddler? Can you specify food requirements eg gluten free? Otherwise we will probably go Qantas which isn't as convenient and will cost us $800 more.
    Also, when I was looking at the flight prices, SAA charge for an infant, not much, about $200 return, the flight cost would still be cheap ~$3200.
    Last edited by BB4Me; 08-01-2016 at 07:52.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BB4Me For This Useful Post:

Tahli  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    10% of adult fare for an infant is pretty standard now - I'm pretty sure Qantas is the same.
    You fly East to West coast with virgin then Perth/ jburg with SAA. I found their flights fine and less full so always had a spare seat next to me (might have just been lucky) I thought they were pretty good. The transit time between Jo'burg/cpt and vice versa was fairly tight but you can opt for different connecting flights to allow more time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

BB4Me  (09-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Remember our motto "act like a tourist, get treated like a tourist".

We've been to some really dodgy places in the world, twice to CT and never felt threatened at all. We hired a car both times, with GPS, and only had to use GPS a few times to find our way around (DH has a really good inbuilt compass, I learned to always trust it). The first trip we did just under 2000kms, the 2nd about 600kms. We always locked the doors at traffic lights - there are people hawking all manner of things (fruit, plastic bags, newspapers etc) but we just waived them away and had no problems. We did, once, miss a turn and come face to face with the entrance to a shanty town ... DH did an ultra quick U-turn and we floored it out of there, still no harm done. We loved our experience. On our 1st trip we stayed for 3 days in the city, then drove over to Sea Point, on the beach, and just knocked on the door of a house that had an accom sign out the front. The lady was 101yrs old on a good day, but welcomed us, and got her maid/nurse/assistant Sandy to organise our apartment. 3br, lounge, full kitchen and secure parking for 450R ($45) per night. We were at the end of the Main Street and could wonder down each night for dinner at one of the numerous restaurants. It was so great that we rang and booked there for our second trip. Sea Point has a really nice promenade along the beach so it's an early morning paradise for people walking, jogging, doing Pilates on the grass, swimmers etc. We loved it.

I read where one of you is looking at staying at Simons Town ... That's a long way from where you need to visit, like Claremont, a good 30-40min drive or more. You would definitely not get a cab. That's where the Naval Base is, and the Penguins. Nice place to visit, not as good for restaurants etc.

When you go, hire a car (it's soooo cheap compared to Aus), keep your doors locked as you drive around and be courteous like in Aus. The only ones that aren't courteous, we found, are the white vans with yellow stripes - the taxi vans - typically like taxis in Aus though, always in a hurry and have to be first in line. We just let them go, we weren't ever in as much a hurry as them. We wouldn't have felt as safe if we didn't hire a car. Cabs chew through money and, I guess what I'm trying to say is, having to hail/wait on the street is giving off signs that you are tourists. If you come out of a restaurant, or whatever, and walk up to a car, jump in and take off then you don't stick out as much. As soon as the cab drivers hear your accent they know you're a tourist and have the opportunity to take advantage by taking you the long way round to you destination. The hire cars are all new little Hyundai I10's or equivalent and cost about AU$35 to fill up, some cab rides cost AU$20 bucks a throw. Ohh ... When you get out of the airport at CT there will be golf buggys ready to take you to the hire car offices - these buggys are ok and are free. Trust them, they take you down a tunnel and out the other side where there are about 8-9 companies to choose from. We used Europcar both visits. On the flip side, we were trying to be safe and got a cab from the airport into CT on our 1st trip and it cost about $45 - it cost us $40 a day to hire for the rest of our stay.

When people asked us, hearing our accents, how long we were in CT we told them we lived there a couple of years - that got us the 'local' price and treatment. Fake it till you make it. Be savvy!

Funny how things work out. On our 2nd trip, at the airport we found an ad in a mag for a nostalgia festival at this Ostrich Farm on the N1 out of CT ... We hired the car from the airport, dropped our bag off at our accom and took off on the N1, drove for miles and eventually saw the sign, turned off the highway along this dirt track for a couple of Km's and came across the best day ever! There was clothing and nostalgia stalls, old cars to look at, beer tents, barbers, roller derby, pop up restaurants, bands, dodgem cars and ostriches. It was great.

Night time is the same as any capital city in Aus, don't walk down any dark alleys, take the car and stay/park in the populated areas. There's nothing out there on the streets in CT that isn't in, say, Sydney's George St at 11pm on a Saturday night. Just keep your wits about you and you will be fine. We found CT very laid back on the whole.

We flew SAA both times. We found Sydney to Perth, and on the way back Perth to Sydney with Virgin a real chore - no gluten free for me, hassles checking in, missed flight etc, their "couldn't give a sh^t attitude". SAA was good though, would fly them again. Virgin, not so much.

Good luck to all those going over, you will be fine.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jennski For This Useful Post:

Aspire  (08-01-2016),BB4Me  (09-01-2016),Outoftime  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Aspire My transfer is 11 March. It sounds like we'll be there at the same time! If you'll be at The Vineyard that weekend just sing out!!
    @cjocoh71 Congrats on seeing your babies heartbeats again!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahli For This Useful Post:

Aspire  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @BB4Me Congrats on your good quality frosties! Em has already answered most of your questions there. Virgin from Melb to Perth. The 5 hour stop over in Perth allows you to leisurely transit between domestic and international terminals and give your little poppet a run/crawl around. You don't have to pay for the movies or food. But you do have to pay for your seat selection from Perth to J'Berg, about $70 return. At the back of the flight there might be 2 seats together then a gap and a single seat...which could be good for 2 adults and a toddler?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahli For This Useful Post:

BB4Me  (09-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @cjocoh71 - Sorry to hear about your bleed. Relieved to hear that everything is okay.
    A friend sent me this article discussing donor eggs that I found reassuring. https://aeon.co/essays/why-are-donor...tility-options
    I found it interesting that 10% of IVF cycles in the States use egg donors, but 15% of live births from IVF are a result of egg donation.
    And this quote made my day "A whole body of evidence now shows that deep bonding between mother and unborn child occurs during the nine months of gestation. And the science of epigenetics – in which environment shapes gene expression – means that nurturing the unborn can influence lifelong temperament and health."

I travelled to Cape Town on my own and had no problems. I used Uber a lot, I didn't think I would do well driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. I did have a hairy taxi ride - but once I got my SIM card and switched to Uber it was all good.

AFM, embryos are here (of course with some last minute drama). I have started Tamoxifen (improves lining) and will likely have my FET on January 22.

Happy New Year and best wishes to you all.
    Last edited by Canuck1; 08-01-2016 at 15:38.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Canuck1 For This Useful Post:

Aspire  (08-01-2016),BB4Me  (09-01-2016),cjocoh71  (09-01-2016),JulieMalooley  (08-01-2016),KMP  (10-01-2016),Outoftime  (08-01-2016),SalSA2015  (08-01-2016),Tahli  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck1 View Post
    @cjocoh71 - Sorry to hear about your bleed. Relieved to hear that everything is okay.
    A friend sent me this article discussing donor eggs that I found reassuring. https://aeon.co/essays/why-are-donor...tility-options
    I found it interesting that 10% of IVF cycles in the States use egg donors, but 15% of live births from IVF are a result of egg donation.
    And this quote made my day "A whole body of evidence now shows that deep bonding between mother and unborn child occurs during the nine months of gestation. And the science of epigenetics – in which environment shapes gene expression – means that nurturing the unborn can influence lifelong temperament and health."

I travelled to Cape Town on my own and had no problems. I used Uber a lot, I didn't think I would do well driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. I did have a hairy taxi ride - but once I got my SIM card and switched to Uber it was all good.

AFM, embryos are here (of course with some last minute drama). I have started Tamoxifen (improves lining) and will likely have my FET on January 22.

Happy New Year and best wishes to you all.
    That's great news Canuck! I'm glad the embies had a safe journey. All the best for this cycle.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lolly99 For This Useful Post:

Canuck1  (09-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Canuck1 After all you've been through to get your precious embryos over to you I'm so glad to hear of your transfer date! Your patience and determination deserves to be rewarded with a BFP!!
    I've had nothing but good experiences with Uber too, as a solo traveler. I just can't get Uber to recognize my card so have to get my BnB host to keep ordering them for me which is a pain.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tahli For This Useful Post:

Canuck1  (09-01-2016),Outoftime  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. We are looking at doing a shark dive at Gansbaai, visit Inverdoon park in Ceres Kanoo, check out the meerkats in Oudtshoorn, go to Simon Town, Cape of Good Hope, Chapsman Peak, head over to Robben Island and general sightseeing in Cape Town city. We are hoping these trips won't send us into any direction of problems. Of course we have no idea what we can book without knowing exactly what dates we need to be at CFC other than my first lining scan and appointment with the Dr. I read on here that someone just booked everything once they were there so we hope we can do the same without missing out on anything due to lack of availability.

4 weeks today we are flying out and all we have done is book flights and filled prescriptions ready to use.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Outoftime For This Useful Post:

Aspire  (08-01-2016)