Closed Thread
Page 103 of 107 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1061
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outoftime View Post
    Happy new year to everyone. Looks like there is going to be some very busy people at the end of this year juggling lots of twins. Congrats to everyone. I really hope it continues for those heading over in 2016.

We we are getting ourselves organised. 4 weeks and counting until we get to visit and meet the teams at CFC for the first time. One thing DP is concerned about which I know you all will be able to offer comments on, is, how safe is CT and areas outside of the city and at night? We want to head to some places a couple of hours drive out of CT but we just keep hearing how dangerous SA cities are. How has everyone found it?
    We felt totally safe in Cape Town and the other cities we visited. We were mostly around tourist areas and the security is good. Where are you hoping to drive to? We had a car and did a number of day trips from CT. One thing to be aware of is the 'car minders' who will want a few rand to look after your car when it's parked. It's not anything to worry about and we just went along with it. They weren't aggressive or anything.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsErinR For This Useful Post:

Outoftime  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outoftime View Post
    Happy new year to everyone. Looks like there is going to be some very busy people at the end of this year juggling lots of twins. Congrats to everyone. I really hope it continues for those heading over in 2016.

We we are getting ourselves organised. 4 weeks and counting until we get to visit and meet the teams at CFC for the first time. One thing DP is concerned about which I know you all will be able to offer comments on, is, how safe is CT and areas outside of the city and at night? We want to head to some places a couple of hours drive out of CT but we just keep hearing how dangerous SA cities are. How has everyone found it?
    We drove all around the coast, 1500km from memory and it was all very safe and good roads but EVERYONE local said its best not to drive at night and I tend to agree.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JulieMalooley For This Useful Post:

Outoftime  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Yeah I wouldn't drive at night there especially out of the city limits. It's fine to drive to restaurants in the city & touristy areas like the V&A at night where there are security patrols etc. but no way I'd be highway driving at night there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

Outoftime  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    On my last trip there i met an australian girl at the airport who had bought herself a ute and travelled all over South Africa through national parks and cities by herself! She mostly slept in the back of her ute when she was in the national parks. I told her she was extremely brave! She said she didnt have any real problems and that the scariest part was being charged by a male elephant. She had some great experiences but i am not sure i would be up for it!

When we were there we made sure we didnt walk around at night but i never had any problems on any of my visits. I consider myself a smart traveller. You always have to be aware of your surroundings.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ECM1981 For This Useful Post:

Outoftime  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    To be fair the only trouble we had was my husband and little E being caught up in an armed robbery/heist in Cavendish Square while I had a massage in Sept/Oct... totally not a everyday occurance as Cavendish Square is really quite safe but does go to show things happen everywhere... but still don't think I'd be driving over the countryside at night.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

Outoftime  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to go slightly against popular opinion here and say I don't feel 100% safe in CT on my own. I stick to the populated areas I know and definitely don't go out after dark. I've learnt to stay in accom where dinner is easily accessible. You just need to be really sensible & listen to local advice. I'd love to go there with a travel companion, hire a car and get out to explore more!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tahli For This Useful Post:

midnite01  (06-01-2016),Outoftime  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Tahli I'm exactly the same - seriously if you read the smartraveller website it outlines all this and what to be aware of. Travelling solo I'm extra cautious but in reality I'm not an 'adventurer' by any means unless that means a massage, a good bottle of wine and a hot restaurant 😂.
    Just be sensible, there's lots to love about the place but its definitely not all sunshine and lollipops!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

midnite01  (06-01-2016),Outoftime  (08-01-2016),Tahli  (06-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We were last there around 15 yrs ago and travelled from nairobi downwards. Its like anywhere don't wear flashy jewellery we wore money belts in clothes last time mainly through eastern africa. If i was on my own i would stick to daytime and not go out much at night apart from very populated areas.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnite01 For This Useful Post:

Outoftime  (08-01-2016),Tahli  (06-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello ladies, I finally received my treatment plan this week and have just booked my flight for The second week of March.
    My DH and I discussed safety as well and decided to get accommodation in Claremont. Incidentally, my lonely plant guide reckons that Claremont is one of the safest places in the world. We want to be by the sea as well so are planning to spend some time in Simon's Town.
    Good luck to everyone else planning their journey

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aspire For This Useful Post:

ferngirl  (07-01-2016),Outoftime  (08-01-2016),Tahli  (08-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happy New Year from Canada!

I am breathing again. Had a bright red, but very brief bleed on Xmas day, but everyone was on holidays until this week. Finally had an u/s yesterday to confirm that in fact all is well and can thankfully confirm that both babes are super active and continuing to grow well. We also saw both heartbeats again. What a journey this is ...!!!

As for safety in CT, it is a lot like any big touristy city. Always requiring you to be mindful of your surroundings at all times. I have done much at night, although always with DP, and we had a rental and kept to main, busy areas.

I was born in Johannesburg, but have not lived in SA for almost 40 years, but have travelled extensively throughout tHe country. More recently, DP and I have road-tripped from CT to Jo'burg, as well as into the bush, and driving at night has been fine. Jo'burg in general is an entirely separate kettle of fish and I would not use the word safe to describe it, nor am I a fan at all. But for my 91-year old grandmother, I would NEVER venture there at all!

And then finally, as for seaside or beaches not to be missed, I would highly recommend both Muizenberg and Llandudno beach, both easy drives (under 30mins) from downtown CT, more undiscovered and not to be missed!

To many of you set to begin your travels, best of luck!

Xoxo

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cjocoh71 For This Useful Post:

JulieMalooley  (08-01-2016),Outoftime  (08-01-2016),Tahli  (08-01-2016)