+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Snacking or smoking

What do people do all day without doing either of these?!
    For all those little moments, like the kids are being hard to deal with, or work is being stressful, or you're waiting for something, or the kids are finally asleep and you have a moment alone, or you just want to go outside and take a break for 5 minutes, etc etc…

I haven't smoked since before I was pregnant, and there's zero chance of me actually taking it up again but I've started to really miss it just in the last few weeks. They're totally disgusting but it's an otherwise enjoyable habit/hobby. Instead I just eat way too much and am still 15kg above my pre-baby weight. But I don't know how to stop wanting to snack all the time and curb hunger pains without smoking instead.

Ugh I'm just generally feeling frustrated and grumpy about everything right now.

Any suggestions for healthier habits I could take up instead, or how to distract and refocus in those times that I'd normally go for a smoke or have something to eat? (I know replacing one habit with another isn't ideal, but one step at a time! :-P)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I still reminisce over my coffee and smoke breaks and it's been two years lol.

I've come up with a few hobbies I'd like to take up (creative writing, learning piano, cross stitching). However three squawking kids means I just put on my favourite TV show and crank it. Needless to say I've packed on 35kg.

Wow this post has been completely unhelpful but at least your not alone lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylasWorld View Post
    Wow this post has been completely unhelpful but at least your not alone lol.
    lol thanks, I am glad that someone understands

It's not that I don't actually have enough to keep me busy - I have the toddler to look after (DH works about 70 hr/week), I'm doing a part time PhD and I have a hobby that I've turned into a little business. I guess it's for when I want a break from all of those at once? :P

I know plenty of people who have cups of coffee or tea every couple of hours, I guess that's a similar behaviour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I drink water when I feel hungry instead of snacking. Majority of the time that "snack hunger" that you feel is actually thirst.

You could also try a herbal tea (check out T2 they are amazing!) if you're wanting something to drink and sit outside for a short break. I love their Japanese green and lemongrass & ginger teas. Even the Lipton Lemon teabags from Coles/Woolies are quite nice. I also find tea helps a lot with stress and anxiety and can calm me down quite well.

Otherwise you could try simple things that are easy to pick up and put down again quickly like some light reading, sudoku, crosswords etc to keep your hands/mind busy.

Do you have time to yourself to go out for a half hour walk around the neighbourhood?
    Haha I always think that drinking more water seems like an obvious solution, but it's just not quite satisfying...
    Herbal teas is a great idea, there's just so many of them I never know what to try! I should take a closer look next time we're at the shops.

I go for walks every day to get DS out of the house (plus it's my primary means of transport) so unfortunately they've sort of landed in the "essential daily chores" basket, rather than being something fun or relaxing to do. :-/
    Although even 5 minutes of exercise in the house is a very good idea, I just to motivate myself to jump around and do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmmm that's a tough one. I stopped smoking 5 years ago and will never take it up again but occasionally when super stressed I'll crave a cigarette and glass of wine which was always my go to after work/weekend stress relief. I'm not a big snacker though so don't know how to deal with that. You need something to occupy you for a short break - what about a nice coffee machine so you can make a good coffee if you like that? Or as PP suggested some nice tea? And 10 minutes reading through your favourite website (forum, newspaper, blog etc). Sorry they all sound so lame when compared to the pull of a naughty snack or a cigarette lol. Hopefully you get some good ideas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm another tea drinker. I am pretty happy to try just about any sort. In terms of herbal, I am loving T2's vanilla mint at the moment. I've also started drinking camomile and spiced apple or camomile and spearmint in the evenings before bed. There is also the Pukka brand - their combos are amazing. They've got them at my chemist, but think you could get them from health food stores. T2 also has fruit teas - strawberries and cream and fruit Royale are really lovely. I tend to have them as iced tea though. If you want something that's not caffinated, you could try Rooibos. I have a chai version that's divine.
    I find the whole ritual of making tea relaxing, so if I am feeling more stressed or anxious than normal, I'll go for a loose leaf tea in a pot.
    My others are reading, word puzzles (crosswords or arrow words), and colouring in. All of them stop me thinking and let me breathe for a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    What do people do all day without doing either of these?!
    Lurk bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I drink loads of cups of tea

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never smoked but since having my children (I have 3) I have piled on weight.

I snack all the time, it's like a comfort to me. Something I can do for myself.

I should stop but I don't know how to and honestly I don't know if I want to :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Carrot sticks and dip. Saviour for me.