+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default "I quit sugar" program / additive & preservative free

I have been considering changing the diet of my entire family for quite a while now. I don't know what's stoping me. I know I want to do it. Maybe the convenience of being able to buy a lot of things half done for me. Or the overwhelming amount of information on everything. Or I am just lazy.

I've looked into additive & preservative free and I think it would benefit us all.

I've just watched that sugar movie and now I'm looking into the I quit sugar program.

I've brought a cheap version of a thermomix with the intention of making everything from scratch. I'm looking into Air Fryers.

I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed.
    I'm not the best cook as it is and labels confuse the hell out of me.

Has anyone done the I quit sugar program... I don't know if I can give up milo. I love a milo when I have a cold or a headache or even when I am feeling a bit sick. Or after I have been sick. I don't have it all the time but it's my go to drink when I'm feeling blurgh!

I'm so confused what to do or is preservative/additive free and sugar free something that goes hand in hand?? What's working for you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm curious about it too & have thought about having a go at it after this bub arrives.
    I did a round of Michelle Bridges last year which I found very helpful in helping to cut out sugars & processed foods. Since then I've had less tolerance for junk/processed food.

Start slow would be my advice - e.g. reduce sugar added to milo. Look up simple recipes for things like pasta sauces etc. Maybe get a cookbook from the program first to try out a few things? Pick a night or two each week to have meals from scratch to start with so you can build confidence in the new habit. And meal plan! Helps alot so you arn't tempted to go to an easy option.

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (24-09-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (24-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We are mostly preservative and additive free at home, i only buy packet food etc for parties , I do still bake with sugar but we try stick to the 80/20 rule, if your eating clean 80% of the time then the odd milo or dessert at a restaurant won't be so harmful - I started when pregnant with DS and made a no soft drink, packet food or processed meat rule and I make my own sauces/curries/stocks/soups - DH in his teen years and early twenties ate McDonald's maybe 3 times a week, he had a burger about 3 years ago and threw up - your body ( and your tastebuds ) do adjust and crave only good food so don't stress and take it slowly

meal plan weekly and after a few shopping trips you will know what to buy - most things I buy at a supermarket are more household items ( plus staples like milk , butter , rice cakes and olive oil ) as most of our food is fresh from the butcher/fruit shop/bakery/deli and organic shop

Buy the Additive Alert book and they have an app so you can type in a additive when you are out to checking it's ok!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (24-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm starting the I Quit Sugar 8 week program on 1st October. I'm really looking forward to it. I like that it comes from bit a whole food perspective - a bit of old school cooking...

Anyway I'll let you know how I go :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (24-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you drink cocoa powder instead of Milo?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Dragon View Post
    I'm curious about it too & have thought about having a go at it after this bub arrives.
    I did a round of Michelle Bridges last year which I found very helpful in helping to cut out sugars & processed foods. Since then I've had less tolerance for junk/processed food.

Start slow would be my advice - e.g. reduce sugar added to milo. Look up simple recipes for things like pasta sauces etc. Maybe get a cookbook from the program first to try out a few things? Pick a night or two each week to have meals from scratch to start with so you can build confidence in the new habit. And meal plan! Helps alot so you arn't tempted to go to an easy option.

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    That's an awesome idea... I didn't even think to do that... 👍👍

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bigZ For This Useful Post:

Izzys Dragon  (24-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The I Quit Sugar program is very much additive/ preservative free/ whole foods based so I would totally recommend giving it a go.
    The structure of it might help you get started too.
    When I gave up sugar I replaced milo with raw cacao powder mixed in warm milk. Doesn't taste great at first, but the longer you are sugar free the sweeter this will taste. My kids (4&6) will drink this now, and also enjoy 85% cocoa chocolate.
    Good Luck!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (25-09-2015),wobbleyhorse  (24-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I find most of our diet is preservative/additive free. There are still things that I have tried to change but didn't enjoy it! like cutting out margarine and deli ham. I cook most things from scratch and always have, so I am very used to it. My mum was the same so I guess that's how I learnt; I've never known anything different.

About a month ago I decided to cut down on my sugar intake, and then a couple of days ago I watched That Sugar Film with the kids and they have halfheartedly agreed to try too lol.
    I did find though that cooking from scratch means that your sugar intake is fairly low anyway.
    Our main thing that I am trying is to stop the kids thinking snack=sweet, like cupcakes, biscuits, slices etc. However the past couple of days we've tried some new savoury snacks and they didn't really like them , so I'm not sure how we're going to go there. They did enjoy today's morning tea though, I put out a plate of leftover chicken schnitzel strips, cheese cubes, carrot sticks, and strawberries.

Sorry I don't think I've given much advice. But I do want to reassure you that if you just start cooking from scratch, your preservative/additive/sugar/salt intake will really dramatically go down all on it's own.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (25-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've done this and I can definitely say it didn't happen overnight! It's overwhelming at first but at the end of the day if you hold on to your milo that's ok. You don't have to be perfect to make positive changes. I find small changes quickly turn into big changes when you start feeling better.

I found the easiest thing to start with was breakfast cereals, sauces and sweetened drinks. I didn't miss cereal and making sauces from scratch wasn't too hard (maybe not soy sauce but things like tomato sauce, gravy, cheese sauce, salad dressings and so on). Sugary drinks were mostly just replaced with water or herbal teas. Just find one type of food that you want to swap and start there. Then another. And so on.

Be particularly weary of anything "low fat". That's usually code for 'highly processed and full of sugar'.

And finally if you're not comfortable cooking, take classes! There are lots of cooking classes available these days. And spend some time watching food shows for inspirations.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (25-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks everyone. I'm going to give it a go. DH and I spoke about it last night. I got him to pick up one of the I quit sugar books yesterday we're going to work out a menu and start by making sure 1-2 full days are sugar/preservitive/additive free. And we'll clean out the cupboard in the mean time.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bigZ For This Useful Post:

Izzys Dragon  (25-09-2015)