+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Does anyone's kids do Nippers?

Please tell me about it.

My ds is 5.5 so he'd be in under 6's.

He's not a very good swimmer, can barely float but does swim lessons so is improving. Friends keep asking us to enrol him so that our boys can go together.

My limited understand is that it's just kinda like 'beach familiarisation' is that right?

Any tips or info would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I looked into it for 2 of my kids this year but decided not to because they were really strict about helping out, plus I couldn't be bothered rushing out of the house on a Sunday morning.

I will do it in a couple of years.

Not sure of your child's age but I think they don't do swims in ocean until u/8's and if they can't swim, they just don't do water activities.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

misho  (25-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing.. I think nippers would be great for my dd1..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Following. I think this summer would be too early for my DS 4.5 but I would like to next summer. He is already swimming laps in our pool and I would love him to get confident in the surf and understand surf safety etc. What is the minimum age? 5?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I looked into it for DD1 but they seem very strict on parents volunteering which is fine if you can but i have the 2 littler kids with me so couldnt be much help as would need to be watching them constantly.

DH often works weekends so thats whats ruled it out for us at the moment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nippers requires volunteers to run but if you have younger kids you're not expected to do anything except stay with your nipper's kid on the beach. I have two kids in different age groups on at the same time and if I'm on my own I ask the age manager if they can watch my more confident child and I go and be with the less confident child's group...but stay with my kids who aren't old enough for nippers yet. When they were younger and not confident swimmers I just took the oldest one to join the younger one's group for the day. I've even left an age manager in charge of my confident kid to help out on the bbq when they've been desperate. It's just not a drop them off and pick them up at the end type of sport. You get involved as much as you can understanding that ultimately your child is your responsibility.
    Nippers is fantastic. If I could only afford for my kids to do one sport it would be nippers, no doubt about it.
    Oh, and they are required to do proficiency swims for under 8's and under 9's....at under 6 they aren't expected to be great swimmers...but nippers doesn't teach kids to swim so you need to keep going with swimming lessons.
    Check oit the registration dates though, ours need to be done by the end of August.
    Last edited by Full House; 26-09-2015 at 06:15.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (26-09-2015),misho  (26-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son (6yo) does, he loves it. They don't do much in the water beyond knee height in the first year, so swimming skills shouldn't matter too much. Ds loves water activities - swimming, surfing etc. And dh loves helping out with it every Sunday morning, so it just works for us.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

misho  (26-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all.

I have 2 littlies too so I wouldn't be much help volunteering.

Perhaps next year then when they're all a bit older. No fun running after a toddler and 4yo whilst trying to watch or help.

Is it very 'cliquey'?

I have this notion in my head that it's very much for surfy parents, which we are not (but I would secretly love to be 😋), but I'd hate to be the odd one out because we can't surf or do kayak or what not!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not cliquey at all, there are many families who aren't surfy types (that's often the reason they go, because they don't feel confident to teach the kids themselves) and IME the earlier you start them the better. The kids build confidence over the years, and it's very obvious when a new child starts at an older age group...not to say that they can't catch up, but many drop out before the season is over because the kids just refuse to co-operate, mostly out of fear. The kids I've seen come and fit in at an older age are the kids who come from surfing families. One of my kids started with a girl in under 6's (she was one of the more confident kids then), and then they moved away for a couple of years...they came back for under 9's and the girl just cried on the beach the whole season. The mum is determined to get her back in to it (heavily involved in volunteering and really believes in the value of nippers) but it's a hard slog.
    Nippers truly is a fantastic program, but it's designed for you to start in the younger years. If not this year, I'd definitely sign up for next year...by the time you get to under 8's and they're actually swimming in the ocean it gets hard for the kids to have the confidence to join in.
    By under 9's kids are going out a reasonable distance in the ocean...way further than what we would take kids out ourselves, and that's really daunting for a child who hasn't ever gone that far before...especially when they're on boards (which are hard to use until you know how! You have to be able to balance them well) and catching waves in/getting dumped etc.
    Last edited by Full House; 26-09-2015 at 17:35.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

misho  (27-09-2015)