+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Due Date Discrepancy

Hey guys,

Just after some personal experiences or insights etc.
    When I went to my doctor after got a positive pregnancy test, we calculated my due date to be the 16th of October based on my LMP. I went in for the dating scan at 7+3 only to be told that I was actually 5 weeks (new due date put at the 27th of October) and she was shocked to see a heart beat that early. I myself was shocked that there was such a difference in dates because my periods are 28 days to the dot and I ovulate at the same time as well. The technician made a comment that my bladder was hardly full but she should still be able to get a measurement. The whole thing felt wrong but that was now that dates my doctor was going off.
    At the 12 week scan the measurements showed my due date as at 20th, which further confused us but we had to stick with the dating scan.
    At the 20 week scan the measurements had my date back to the 16th. But again my midwives said that they were sticking with the 27th.

All my fundal height measurements have been 2 weeks ahead and after a negative gestational diabetes test, I was told my baby is "Huge!!!!"

Is it possible for the 6 week scan to be wrong? I have no problem with using the 27th as my due date, but I'm trying for a vbac and I've been told it may not happen now cause my baby feels 'sooooo big' which is too depressing to think about. My first baby was 8pounds 1ounce - hardly a big baby- and was a day early.

Has anyone else had due date discrepancies like this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    This happened to my with my 2nd child. I was pretty sure of my dates as I know exactly when I ovulated and had 28 day cycles on the dot. They kept going with the scan date (2 weeks earlier than my dates). He was 1 week overdue (3 weeks by my dates) and 9pound 10 when born. They also discovered when they "broke my waters" that there was very little amniotic fluid left and what was left had stated to turn jelly like!?!?. We are so lucky that he was still alive. If you believe the dating scan is wrong I would personally be pushing the issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That has happened with all my pregnancies.

Dd1- dating scan 7/8, lmp 15/8, bub was induced and born 20/8 and she was perfect. No over cooked symptoms.

Dd2- no lmp as I was breastfeeding. 1st scan 19/06 2nd scan at 20wks 11/6. Bub was SVD on 11/6 and again no placental nor fluid problems.

3rd bub still incubating. Lmp 1/10, 1st scan 5/10, 2nd scan 26/9.... Now waiting.

Dating scan has been wrong on all of mine significantly. Go by LMP as that's the most accurate

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 dating scan put me at about a week earlier than my dates. Like you, I had regular cycles. By their dates I would never have got a positive pregnancy test when I did.

After the 12 week scan, the dates lined up much more with my dates. My Dr said they take the 12 week scan as the due date, as it is generally the most accurate (less margin for error than an early dating scan). The midwives at the hospital also agreed that the 12 week scan would be the date.

Second time around I didn't take a dating scan, so I can't compare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This really annoys me - the fact there is so much emphasis from the hospital/midwives/obstetrician on your due date and so many decisions are based on that date (ie what date they consider you to be full term, and hence what date they would induce you, etc etc). And yet the correct due date depends on who you talked to and when!! We hear this kind of story all the time.

Your first dating scan sounds very similar to my first with DS. Went in thinking I was 7 weeks, date scan said 5 but with a heart beat also. I didn't think it was possible with my dates etc. It changed my due day by 12-13 days from memory. Then all scans from then on measured ahead. For me we moved state and had a different caregiver and they were happy to go with the date of my 12 week scan rather than the early dating scan. DS did come late but was very obviously overdue (was born with very dry cracked skin for one).
    I have absolutely no faith in the early date scans. The sonographers that do them will swear black and blue that their early scans are most accurate. But as my OB explained there is sooooo much room for error early on as the angle of your uterus (mine is tilted) and angle of the baby can be slightly off, even half a mm difference in measurement can have a huge impact on dates at this time.

I don't know how you handle this - other than, if it causes you issues in late pregnancy make sure you bring up the probable inaccuracy of your due date so they can take it into consideration in their decision making.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Due Date Discrepancy

With DS I was told 18/5 by scan and my own dates were 6/5. I had him on time for my dates. He was 6lbs 2oz and I was asked if he was overdue as he has very dry skin but nope on time..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes my due dates changed like three times during my scans i was also told i was having a huge baby and that she was measuring above what i was and how far along i was. She came two weeks early induced due to me having pre eclampsia and was only 8pound.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yup my due date changed.

My dates were pretty solid because i had a trigger shot so knew when we conceived. But because I measured small my whole pregnancy they put my dates 2 weeks later than they should have been.

I ended up getting induced at 38.3 (going by due date) but 40.4 going by my dates.

DS had stopped growing and the placenta had started to calcify. He was 6pd1 born.

Have you tried talking to your ob to change the dates?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like the dating can was off and you are due somewhere between the 16th and 20th. If you're VBACing I would also stick with the 27th though. It gives you an extra few days to go into labour by yourself. The only problem I see with the later due date is if you go past 41 weeks because it could really be 42 weeks or more.

With the "huge" baby, ignore fundal height. It's a very subjective measurement. A scan is more accurate but even then it can easily be out 500g each way. I've seen one that was a whole kg over and a "huge" bub was unnecessarily born via CS because of it. The baby ended up being only 3.5kg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds to me like they screwed up your dating scan. I'd be a little worried about this actually. Two weeks is a long time. A pregnancy should not go over 42 weeks (from my understanding) so if they're wrong, they'll be thinking your due date is in actual fact the 42 week mark.