+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    I'm not an expert on CF but I do know another couple whose DH is CF carrier (missing the van deferen as well). The child has the CF gene. Obviously, passing down from the father because she doesn't have it. Luckily, the baby doesn't have the severe type and health wise is OK. Some people can be very sick with CF. I guess it is up to you if you want to take the risk or be safe to get all embryos tested. I would do some reading.
    For a baby to get CF, both parents need to be carriers. Some people can be carriers with no symptoms, which is likely the case here. See
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/cystic-...es/Causes.aspx.

I am no expert, but OP if you have been tested and are not a carrier of the CF gene, your baby shouldn't be a chance of having CF either, so PGD shouldnt be needed for that.
    Last edited by JustJaq; 24-09-2015 at 04:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    As for whether there's a hereditary chance of twins, I'm no expert, but I think that if the twins are non-identical, there may be a hereditary link, but if they're identical, there's not? Could be wrong there. I think if they're non-identical, it's because of two eggs being released at once (which could be hereditary), but one egg splitting (identical twins) is just random luck of the draw.

I would second PP about how hard twins would be - one's been hard enough!

Good luck!
    They weren't identical - he had a twin sister (passed away at birth sadly), so maybe it is hereditary. This FS hasn't asked about any history of multiple births in my family, where my previous one did ask that pretty early on.

Gut feeling tells me it's probably better to just do one embryo, the risks don't sound worth it. I go in for my first BT and U/S on Tuesday 29th so I guess we'll know then how I'm tracking. Getting more than one embryo may not even be a factor!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck. Only takes one ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive only read a few replys...so here goes...

Our clinic always transfered 2 to 3 embys with us...and it took the 18th transfer to get our first bfp which resulted in miscarriage. .and then number 20 a fresh double transfer resulted in our dd..... for ds again all double transfers. ...with our twins we actually had 3 transfered and were pregnant with triplets...but lost 1 baby.... i actually dont think multiple transfers is what gave us our babies its other factors and medications we used..... if i knew what i knew at transfer 18...at the beginning of the journey ...it wouldnt have taken 6 years for our first bfp.

Just my 2 cents 😊

5. The Following User Says Thank You to katiana For This Useful Post:

babybeanie  (25-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A double transfer will increase your chance of a bfp but won't increase the chance of a take home baby. Just something to consider.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

babybeanie  (26-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by katiana View Post

Our clinic always transfered 2 to 3 embys with us
    Thanks for your reply, interesting to see your side & I take my hat off to you going through so many cycles. My clinic is against multiple for us, we have to sign a waiver before they'll do it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeanie For This Useful Post:

katiana  (30-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No worries hun 😊 how did u go with ure decision?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by katiana View Post
    No worries hun 😊 how did u go with ure decision?
    Still undecided to be honest. I'm probably leaning more towards just doing one. I'm having a follow up BT & scan on Saturday to see if we're proceeding to EPU so that's on my mind at the moment. Probably wait until we see what we actually get to make a final decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We transferred two due to age. One split and we have identical twins. The other began but didn't progress so we were certainly close to triplets. I had a great pregnancy and our girls have been calm 'easy' babies. Having said that. ...twins are massive work in the early days and its important to think carefully about the support you have around you. We didn't have anyone to help and it's been a LOT of work. Twin pregnancy certainly carries more risk and we were very lucky. If you have any other issues, such as weight etc, it might add to that risk a little too. Also think about cost. Buying two of lots of things ( especially when you aren't having more children to make use of them again) is super expensive. Twins are amazing and special and definitely worth it, but they aren't an ideal way to have kids so if you have time, a single seems safer and less pressure on you in the long run. And like others have said, i think transferring two only increases your chances by about 5 per cent anyhow.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

MonkeyMumma  (02-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My good friend had two embryo's transferred. She had to do a lot of previous cycles with just one though before the clinic agreed to it. On her last cycle she got 2 embryo's which were both unsuitable for freezing. Got told the odds were incredibly low but she was pregnant with twins from that cycle. I know she had an incredibly hard pregnancy & both bubs were born 12 weeks premature. She is such an incredible Mum but I know that it is very full on for her looking after twins. It's such a hard decision to make for you but I'd be guided by what your doctor recommends. Good luck with it