+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I first introduced bub to formula as the last feed of the day as I found the formula kept bubs fuller for longer and so that meant getting a better nights sleep. I used Nan ha in a medella calma bottle, it's quite expensive but well worth it if you are going to mix feed long term as it makes bubs suck harder for the milk unlike other bottles, and there shouldn't be a problem with nipple confusion. If you are only going to do a couple of feeds per day you won't need to buy to many bottles either. I would also maybe wait a week before introducing any formula to make sure bubs gets all the colostrum at the beginning. I hope that helps and I wish you all the best with becoming a first time mum.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to crazybaby For This Useful Post:

DT75  (29-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The Karicare formula is currently having a serious supply issue. They seem to have them quite regularly so I'd opt against the Aptamil Gold HA because it can become really difficult to find and you don't the last thing you need is to go around swapping out formulas at the very beginning.

We had DS1 on the Gold HA when he was born and they had a huge supply problem, so we swapped to the regular Aptamil formula (now called Karicare Gold, I think). It was mostly fine but sometimes we had to shop around to find the one we need.

This time we put DS2 straight on the regular Karicare formula and they're having supply issues again. So we've moved onto Bellamys; they have an excellent reputation and are really gentle on tummies. I don't think DS2 even noticed we'd change it (but he eats grass, so what would he know?).

So yes, caution against Aptamil/Karicare Gold formulas. They're a b!tch to find!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to snowqu33n For This Useful Post:

DT75  (29-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had ds on karicare aptimal gold but found it hard to find at times. Switched to bellamys and found that great. Ds2 had top ups initially until my supply established and he had no trouble on it either. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by wikidwitch View Post
    The Karicare formula is currently having a serious supply issue. They seem to have them quite regularly so I'd opt against the Aptamil Gold HA because it can become really difficult to find and you don't the last thing you need is to go around swapping out formulas at the very beginning.

We had DS1 on the Gold HA when he was born and they had a huge supply problem, so we swapped to the regular Aptamil formula (now called Karicare Gold, I think). It was mostly fine but sometimes we had to shop around to find the one we need.

This time we put DS2 straight on the regular Karicare formula and they're having supply issues again. So we've moved onto Bellamys; they have an excellent reputation and are really gentle on tummies. I don't think DS2 even noticed we'd change it (but he eats grass, so what would he know?).

So yes, caution against Aptamil/Karicare Gold formulas. They're a b!tch to find!
    Must depend on the area? I see it all the time, everywhere, near here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Must depend on the area? I see it all the time, everywhere, near here.
    Maybe. All of the shops are sold out around here and they've all implemented maximum purchases of 2 tins per child. Walking into the shops you have shelves full of s26 and NAN and maybe 1 stray tin of the Aptamil allergy formula. It's cut throat man!

At the moment in Sydney they're having supply issues with the Gold HA, Karicare 2, 3 and 4. When DS1 was little it was the HA and then the Gold 1. I'm starting to think that I just have children at the wrong time for formula availability around here :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    One of the issues is that ever since the melamine scare in baby formula in China, some of the Chinese people who live here are sending it back home. There is a massive black market for Australian formula in China. This is why they have set limits on how many tins you can buy at a time in a lot of places. It's more noticeable in areas with a large Chinese population. This might be why it's sold out in some areas and more readily available in others. There was a big drama recently because chemist warehouse (I think) were advertising cheap shipping to China. There was a massive outrage.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (29-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @M'LadyEm, that's really interesting. I hadn't heard anything about that before. If anyone is interested, here's an article about it . http://mobile.news.com.au/finance/bu...-1227534870524

Thanks
    Reviews
    I typed out a long and thoughtful reply TWICE then lost it! Grr.

In summary, we found Medela Calma teats no good, too fast, and found Pidgeon narrow neck teats better.

I also second what a PP said about being prepared for bub to have ideas of their own that might be different to what u have planned. Ours certainly did -didn't want to breastfeed! But that's another story ☺ Good luck w birth and bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Maybe. All of the shops are sold out around here and they've all implemented maximum purchases of 2 tins per child. Walking into the shops you have shelves full of s26 and NAN and maybe 1 stray tin of the Aptamil allergy formula. It's cut throat man!At the moment in Sydney they're having supply issues with the Gold HA, Karicare 2, 3 and 4. When DS1 was little it was the HA and then the Gold 1. I'm starting to think that I just have children at the wrong time for formula availability around here :P
    Maybe. All of the shops are sold out around here and they've all implemented maximum purchases of 2 tins per child. Walking into the shops you have shelves full of s26 and NAN and maybe 1 stray tin of the Aptamil allergy formula. It's cut throat man!At the moment in Sydney they're having supply issues with the Gold HA, Karicare 2, 3 and 4. When DS1 was little it was the HA and then the Gold 1. I'm starting to think that I just have children at the wrong time for formula availability around here :P
    Hmm I'm in Sydney and there is no limits or supply issues here...I know the main problem is that people are buying it and sending it overseas- but it doesn't seem to have started in our area.And, really, that could happen to any formula. It just happens to be Karicare at the moment.