+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    17
    Reviews
    0
    We did mixed feeding with our son from about 2 days old. We used S26 because that was what the hospital had and our son didn't have any issues with it, but my sister said she used Heinz and was happy with it too. Not the gold versions.
    I agree that breast feeding is so much easier at night than getting up to warm up bottles. If the baby is crying and crying and breastfeeding is not getting everyone back to bed for sleep though, then it was bottle time in our case. No sleep = insane mummy and that's no good for anyone.

    I usually prepared that day's bottles in the morning and then warmed them if we needed them. Eventually DS just drank them cold from the fridge.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,265
    Thanks
    159
    Thanked
    1,143
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congratulations!

    Im a couple weeks shy of 6 months of mix feeding my second. (born 1st April)

    With my first he was exclusively bf at the start but lost too much weight, not enough wet or pooey nappies, became more jaundiced, sleepy, unsettled and finally vomited up mecronium....we ended up being readmitted to hospital. so i tried every trick in the book to boost my supply...but no matter what, i couldnt fully feed him, so every 3hrs, around the clock, i would breastfeed him, then offer a bottle of ebm/formula, burp him, then express/pump. Every 3 hours...for 4.5 months. Then he refused to latch so i kept pumping every 3-4hrs day and night until he was 6 months. when i pumped, for 20-30mins at a time, i may have got 10ml at a time...but i kept at it.

    When i found out i was expecting #2 i made sure to research as much as i could on bfing. i saw an IBCLC at 35wks and we developed a plan. i tried to exclusively feed him but my worst fears were right. even with expressing and 2 formula topups we lost too much weight. (Irequested the formula as i just knew things weren't right.) his jaundice wasn't improving
    , He was very very unsettled, he started to look thin from our day 1/2 photos, and he went 18 hours dry nappy! I just knew i had the same problem. despite this time around, bfing so much in the first few days in hospital, even the mws were saying "omg are you feeding again?!?". If he so much as sighed, i put him to the breast.

    I spent his first month powering into attempting to establish a full supply a but it never happened , as i expected...sooo here we are now. almost 6 months old... and our daily routine is:
    First morning feed (where I'm staying awake) i breastfeed, then will offer a topup of formula/ebm. Burp him. then pump.
    all other feeds i offer breast, then top up with formula/ebm
    our last feed for the night before i go to bed, i offer breast, then bottle of formula/ebm, burp, then pump.
    overnight if he wakes i just give him a bottle of formula. i have a 4yo also so need my sleep!

    Its working for us. when i pump i get 20-30mls most times in about 30mins.
    in addition to feeds, he also has breast for comfort and to go to sleep as well. i think its all about finding a balance that works for you and your little family.

    good luck!
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 24-09-2015 at 22:12.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

    DT75  (25-09-2015)

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,841
    Thanks
    1,819
    Thanked
    1,421
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by tb2 View Post
    We did mixed feeding with our son from about 2 days old. We used S26 because that was what the hospital had and our son didn't have any issues with it, but my sister said she used Heinz and was happy with it too. Not the gold versions.
    I agree that breast feeding is so much easier at night than getting up to warm up bottles. If the baby is crying and crying and breastfeeding is not getting everyone back to bed for sleep though, then it was bottle time in our case. No sleep = insane mummy and that's no good for anyone.

    I usually prepared that day's bottles in the morning and then warmed them if we needed them. Eventually DS just drank them cold from the fridge.
    Someone said to make up a thermos of water in the evening and have the formula in the bottles. Just make as you need during the night.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,168
    Thanks
    520
    Thanked
    713
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't read other responses so apologies if there's a double up.

    You may be as prepared as possible and then baby will throw a curve ball at you and you have to start from scratch. I guess what I'm saying is the baby will be dictating what you do essentially and the best is to just go with the flow.

    Formulas may be trial and error or you may be lucky and the first one you try is perfect.

    Good luck for very exciting and tiring times ahead!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (25-09-2015)

  7. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,841
    Thanks
    1,819
    Thanked
    1,421
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    I haven't read other responses so apologies if there's a double up.

    You may be as prepared as possible and then baby will throw a curve ball at you and you have to start from scratch. I guess what I'm saying is the baby will be dictating what you do essentially and the best is to just go with the flow.

    Formulas may be trial and error or you may be lucky and the first one you try is perfect.

    Good luck for very exciting and tiring times ahead!
    Yes I know. But we have to buy something in order to start.

  8. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,168
    Thanks
    520
    Thanked
    713
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ok then. Good luck

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

    DT75  (25-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (25-09-2015)

  10. #17
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    738
    Thanks
    471
    Thanked
    306
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We mixed fed our first DD she was a bit older though (6 months) and my supply dropped when I was pregnant with DD2 we used bellamys organic as the consistency is most like breast milk (it's quite thin) it was a good formula for mixed feeding and we had no issues with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Someone said to make up a thermos of water in the evening and have the formula in the bottles. Just make as you need during the night.
    Make sure you always measure the water in first and then add the formula if you do this idea.

    Good luck with it all. As a PP said if you are doing it as a regular feed you will have more luck with maintaining your supply and mix feeding.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

    DT75  (25-09-2015)

  12. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,841
    Thanks
    1,819
    Thanked
    1,421
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2be4 View Post
    We mixed fed our first DD she was a bit older though (6 months) and my supply dropped when I was pregnant with DD2 we used bellamys organic as the consistency is most like breast milk (it's quite thin) it was a good formula for mixed feeding and we had no issues with it.



    Make sure you always measure the water in first and then add the formula if you do this idea.

    Good luck with it all. As a PP said if you are doing it as a regular feed you will have more luck with maintaining your supply and mix feeding.
    Our thermos' are all measured
    I've been making up bottles since I was 5 haha

  13. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    790
    Thanks
    669
    Thanked
    367
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One thing to consider is whether you might travel while baby is on formula. When we lived in the UK we used to visit family in Spain quite a lot and the formula we used for mixed feeding was only available in UK so we had to take it with us. This time around with second baby I have some aptimil to use if needed as it's very widely available.

  14. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,841
    Thanks
    1,819
    Thanked
    1,421
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    One thing to consider is whether you might travel while baby is on formula. When we lived in the UK we used to visit family in Spain quite a lot and the formula we used for mixed feeding was only available in UK so we had to take it with us. This time around with second baby I have some aptimil to use if needed as it's very widely available.
    That's a very good point. Thank you


 

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for an angel to complete our dreams
    By SweetHopes in forum Egg Donor Needed
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-12-2015, 08:25
  2. Stage one complete now help
    By monnie24 in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-07-2015, 07:47
  3. Looking for an angel to complete our dreams
    By SweetHopes in forum Egg Donation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-07-2015, 20:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Babybee Prams
Save $50 in our pre-Christmas sale! All Comet's now only $500. Our bassinet & stroller set includes free shipping AUS wide, $75 free accessories, 18-months warranty & a 9 month free return policy. Check out our new designer range today!
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
KindyROO
KindyROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available at three Brisbane and two Gold Coast locations. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!