+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hormone results - not sure what to think

Hi ladies
    I am mum to a gorgeous and troublesome 2.5 year old. We would love to add to the family but no luck so far.

I am concerned because I have been testing for ovulation using a LH urine test. I have noticed that my luteal phase is all over the place (sometimes 3 days, mostly 7-9 days, occasionally longer). I went to my dr to check my hormone levels as everything I have read says that a) luteal phase should be consistent and b) a luteal phase of less than 10-11 days means you will be unlikely to conceive.

GP ran some standard hormone tests, day 3 and O+7 (calculated by me using LH surge tests).

She called me last night to say the results are fine, looks like I'm ovulating, egg reserves are good, hormone levels okay, brushed off any extra questions about it.

Being the curious type, I dropped by the doctors to see what my results actually are.

Day 3 LH: 14 IU/L
    Day 3 FSH: 14 IU/L
    Day 3 E2 (Oestrogen): 44 pmol/L
    AMH 20.3 pmol/L
    O+ 7 days Progesterone: 26 nmol/L

From some initial googling (and info is quite hard to come by!) i can see that this means I probably don't have PCOS. However, FSH of 14 seems to be considered high for ovulation issues, Oestrogen levels are low, AMH levels are on the dodgy side, and Progesterone levels although indicating I ovulated, are considered to be on the cusp of too low to sustain a pregnancy.

According the to the test results I fall in the "normal" range for everything apart from Oestrogen.

So I guess my next question is, what do I do next? Should I just relax, take her word for it and keep trying? Or should I see someone else who might be a bit more clued up on the subject? I can see that my results are "normal" but when you look at them altogether it appears I could need some help. Should I go to another GP or a fertility expert? Or am I jumping ahead of myself?

It is awkward as my preferred fertility clinic requires a dr's referral! The worst thing is that all my knowledge has come from consulting google where there are obviously 100s of different opinions on the matter.

Background
    TTC: 7 months

Has anyone been in a similiar position or have more knowledge on what these test results mean that can give me some words of wisdom?

Thanks for your advice ladies...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have any real knowledge, but just wanted to chime in and say that you can easily go to another dr and just request the referral

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure about the hormone results, but that AMH seems pretty good to me. Don't forget that Drs have trained for years to do what they do, and are able to understand the complete clinical picture. If you're not convinced, maybe see another GP. Ps I think all fertility clinics will require a referral.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not a dr so can't give you any real advice, but my GP told us at the start of our TTC journey that they don't take much notice unless you have been trying for 12-24 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also can't help with the hormone results but it can't hurt to see another GP to get a second opinion. Once you hit 35 they suggest getting further help after 6 months of trying. I'd book into the FS now (they will need to see the referral at the time of the first appointment but should let you book in over the phone without it). Has your partner done a semen analysis? He can get this requested from his GP. I'm not sure what else you can do in the mean time. Hopefully you'll be UTD soon and will have to cancel your FS appointment, that's what happened to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had very similar levels in my natural FET cycle that got cancelled (I'm a surrogate, so doing IVF for that, not for fertility issues). But I have not had issues falling pregnant naturally when trying for my own kids. So while not the ideal numbers, it is still possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Sounds to me like Luteal Phase Defect. You can still ovulate every month, but like you say, the lining doesn't build up enough to sustain a pg. Most implantation occurs from 6-12dpo. You are shedding your lining long before it can burrow in and get comfy.

A herb called vitex (it really does work) is good for this issue.