Has anyone been in the situation where the centre their child is attending has decided to cut the hours your child attends and dictates what hours they are able to be there?
My son (he's 3.5) has only been at the centre since July. They have had some behavioural issues with him, which I thought we were all working together to get past. We have been cooperating with the centre-attending meetings, taken him for a speech assessment and also have booked to see a paediatrician for an assessment (but the wait list is long). We have also been implementing strategies suggested by the centre staff so we are all on the same page.
They recently asked for our permission for inclusive services to come and assess at the centre to see if they would be eligible for funding to have hours for an extra support person to be around. They got approved for temporary funding of 15 hours a week. Things seemed to be going well and we were being told he was having good days.
Last Wednesday they asked me to come in for a meeting which I was told was just to discuss the funding etc. However I was told that they feel they cannot support my son at the centre for anymore than the funding hours which would mean 3 days a week for 5 hours a day, and they would like it to be from 9am-2pm. And they wanted this to start Monday.
My husband and I both work full time. Me on a rotating roster which I don't get any say in. My husband works for himself so a bit more flexibility but as the business is only new he needs to spend a lot of hours on it to build up customer base.
Childcare isn't easy to find here and everywhere I have rung so far is full. I don't know whether moving him will do more harm than good, or whether I should get him out of the centre that seems to be labelling him without any type of diagnosis.
Quite a few people have told me they aren't allowed to do this, but I rang another centre trying to find a place for him and they asked why I was moving him so I told them the whole story and they said 'oh yes we have had to do that before' and suddenly she decided that they wouldn't be able to support him at their centre either.
I'm between a rock and a hard place. I only returned to work in the middle of this year because are finances are tight, so cutting back work or staying home isn't an option right now (I wish it was).
He really is a lovely kid. I don't feel his behaviours are so bad they warrant all of this. I feel that though he may have some speech delays, that perhaps he is just struggling to adjust to being in care as prior to this he has been home with me.