+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Toilet training - how long did your toddler take to 'get it'?

So, it's day 3 of our first try at toilet training my DD who is 2 yrs 4 months. Heaps of accidents the first two days, better today but I'm still not sure it's really clicking with her.
    I guess I was wondering how long it generally takes, if she doesn't get it I'm happy to go back to nappies and try again later.
    How long do you give it to work? I'm
    happy to try for 2 weeks as DH and I are both on school holidays but also don't want to push it too long if she's not ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    About 10 days with dd1 aged 14mths. Bout 2wks with dd2 age 16mths

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    DD1 was 3yo and I honestly don't remember how long it took as it was so long ago. I remember poo being a challenge more than wee.

DS was 26 months and refused to wear a nappy one day. He wet his pants at breakfast then after that he just got it straight away. No poo or wee accidents.

DD2 is 2 years 9 months and started her yesterday. She had 2 accidents at daycare and 1 at home because she didn't make it to the toilet on time. Today she had 1 accident at daycare and did half a poo and a wee on the toilet at home. The other half of the poo was in her undies 😷

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I tried just before he turned 3 for a day or two and he just didn't "get it" , a few people told me to keep trying but I didn't see the point and was not a fan of cleaning up and the ten changes of clothing a day I witnessed my SIL go through with her daughter so at 3.5 I tried again and told him once the nappies ran out then it's time to use the toilet like daddy and he literally got it within a few days ( wee and poo) and after 4 weeks was night trained as well ( we have only ever had 1 day time accident and 2 night time ones in 18 months - so it was definitely worth waiting

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (23-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS1 was 2.5. Wees were straight away, poos took a few months. But that was anxiety around doing them in the toilet, not figuring out when or how IYKWIM. He stopped wearing nappies as soon as he had wees sorted and never soiled himself, just had huge anxiety around poos and would avoid going for days at a time. He was dry overnight a month or so later.

DS2 was a week shy of his third birthday and had both sorted within 3 days. He still wears a nappy to bed (he was 3 at the start of July) because he wets once every few weeks or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was just over 3 and it took 3 days for him to get the ideas and he was day and night trained all together by 4th day. He refused to wear nappy at nights and would wake up if he wanted to do a wee

Thanks
    Reviews
    On first attempt after a few days she totally didn't get it, so we went back to nappies for a few months, had another try and that time she had it sorted in a week or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was just over 3 and took 3 days, it was very easy I had tried since 2.5ish but it didn't click so I decided to leave it until she was a bit older and go cold turkey, no nappies. There were 2 days of accidents then on the third day she got it, night time too. It will happen when they are ready, I stressed about it so much but it was so easy in the end!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried with DS at about 2.5 but didn't push it, it was winter too and too cold for constant changes and/or letting him run nude for a few days. He's now 3 and it didn't take long. We have used undies and a potty, but he never has done poo in the potty (thank goodness!!!) only on the toilet.
    It all just comes together for them, but can take longer depending on circumstances ie; if you can stay home for a week or so then fine, but that's not always possible, we have a life! So going out, we would put a pull up nappy on, so he could wee if we were nowhere near a loo. I found I had to "let" him have accidents, so that I could demonstrate a point. IE Mummy saying "go to the toilet now" rather than "do you need to go" is for a reason.
    I remind him or ask him every now and if he needs to go, and even now sometimes he will say "no" but have an accident 5 mins later because he has just been too busy and involved with something.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, Day 4 and I think we are seeing some progress, no accidents at all this morning and she is actually telling me when she needs to go. We've been at home all morning so that's probably made it easier, out and about might still be a challenge! I wouldn't say we've got it all sorted yet but at least I can see some hope on the horizon!
    It's really interesting hearing all the different ages and how long, so I really appreciate everyone's input