+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm glad I posted in this thread. Looks like my garden will need more watering than I realized!
    I'm actually surprised I haven't killed anything in it so far!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm glad the water restrictions have been lifted, as can I see some serious watering coming on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What do you ladies use to keep the bugs away?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olive Oil View Post
    What do you ladies use to keep the bugs away?
    My hubby is the king of all things vege patch I will have to ask him. I know there are natural organic sprays you can use but tbh the best way is to use some kind of barrier - like netting. Bugs tend to be worse in warmer climates.

I haven't tried planting sugar loaf cabbage etc which is sometimes used in commercial organic farming as the bugs go for those instead of your greens. Apparently this isn't so effective on smaller home gardens ie might just attract the grubs..,

If bugs really take the over unfortunately you need to rip out the plant/s and start again (unless you are happy to use pesticides etc).

I think rotating the types of plants each season also helps pests/disease resistance but once again I only know little bits as my DH is the expert (works in vegetable agriculture).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Olive Oil  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I'm in Brisbane.

Basil,parsley, thyme, mint, rosemary and coriander, thai basil, Vietnamese mint, sage
    Lettuce, tomatoes, spring onions, carrots, beetroot, snow peas, rocket.

These are the things I've had best luck with, zero luck with kale or spinach as grubs ate it.

We put shade cloth over our garden in summer or it fries.

Keep the water up to the mint and lettuce.
    I'm in Brisbane too, I have found if you plant Kale next to your spinach that the grubs eat the kale and leave the spinach alone! But if you plant the spinach on its own they will eat it.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (24-09-2015),NoteToSelf  (22-09-2015),Olive Oil  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've made a move, I've started to poison the weeds that are currently in the garden to make a start on getting the soil ready.

Does anyone know if I should I buy some Phosphorus to put through the soil?
    (I remember my former elderly neighbour doing this years ago).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Mint is best grown in a pot. It will spread and takeover your garden otherwise. We successfully grew grape tomatoes and snow peas for veggies and then basil, rosemary for herbs. We have since pulled out our veggies and herbs as the plants died off and we decided to do something different in our garden bed that's less maintenance. I still have rosemary and basil though (in pots) and want to grow chillies and coriander too. Just need to find the motivation (and money!) to do it

11. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (24-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have not read the other responses yet, but I find Thyme and Oregano grow really well. Once planted they need basically no attention.

Parsley can be good - but just be careful with it. We had a plant where we used to live and it was too good. The parsley plant was taller than me and I'm 5 Foot 4. Hubby pulled it out and it came back again.

I've grown zuchini's which did amazing and pumpkins. Tomatos are really easy

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellie29 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    I've made a move, I've started to poison the weeds that are currently in the garden to make a start on getting the soil ready.

Does anyone know if I should I buy some Phosphorus to put through the soil?
    (I remember my former elderly neighbour doing this years ago).
    I asked in the garden section of masters what soil to buy and if I needed that. The person showed me a bag of soil which had lots of good stuff for the veggies.
    I think it was this. ...
    And my garden is doing pretty well. Even a few tiny tomatoes have started to grow.
    Attached Images

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post: