+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS was 4.4kg, birthed in the reclined position. In hindsight I should've been more upright, but every time I tried I felt nauseated so I stayed put. His birth was 7.5 hours and required vacuum and episiotomy.

DD was 4.2kg, birthed in just 3 hours (nearly didn't make it to hospital on time). I gave birth standing up, pushing stage is listed as 6 minutes...she practically fell out of me. So clearly standing up worked well for me. I got a 2nd degree tear with her, I think it was a little too fast.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    All my babies were over 4kg. Interestingly, my third was my smallest and only c-section.

DD1 was 4.11kg. I was induced with drip but was already in labour (had strep b) and had second degree tear. Labour was not active due to monitoring.

DS was 4.85kg. It was quite an active labour, was only lying down for last hour as that was the only position I was comfortable in. I had no tearing but his shoulder was stuck. With a push on my stomach, he came out.

DD2 was 4.07kg and was transverse lie when I got to hospital at 5cm dilated so had to have emergency c-section.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    No my ob knows I don't want cs. But I'm not in as good a head space this time plus with the other crap I have going on she is worried about my emotional coping ability vs my physical ability.
    I wrote a really long pm to you, but not sure if it sent, because when I hit post I had been logged out. Let me know if you didn't get it, I'll re-write it later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't receive it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What the others have said. Plus it's all about control when the head is coming down. You want the head to stretch the perineum as much as you can to reduce any risk of tearing. Apart from maintaining an active labour (upright, walking around, sitting on ball etc) you want to be able to open your pelvis as labour progresses. Sitting on the toilet is actually a good place to be (provided you're not actually having your baby there ) as it opens your pelvis nice and wide. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know you've already had lots of responses, but I thought I'd offer some extra reassurance. My friend had 4.5kg and 4.8kg babies. Both labours were under 10 hours, no drugs, no tears. Obviously a lot depends on baby's position, mother's pelvis size etc., but just extra reassurance that it is possible! She said her labours were not overly painful. Another friend had a 2.1kg baby and said the pain was horrific, and went for an epi. For me (and my very average sized baby), the contractions were the worst part, not the actual delivery. I went drug-free but would also describe the pain as horrendous. I guess what I'm trying to say is that baby size doesn't necessarily correlate with labour pain and ability to birth naturally.

Good luck. I hope you can avoid a CS, but as long as baby arrives healthy then you've done a wonderful job no matter what.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My oldest was 4.6kg and completely posterior through the labour/birth. He had a 38.5cm head as well. I'm not going to lie, it wasn't pleasant and left me almost needing surgery at 4 months post partum due to internal tearing that wouldn't heal. However, I managed it without assistance (episiotomy excepted). I do think if this birth wasn't my first baby it would have been easier to manage (my next birth was a breeze in comparison!)

my advice would be to stay mobile, continue to stay in good positions to prevent baby from being posterior (all fours, leaning fwd on fit ball, etc) and other than that... Just try and stay mentally strong!

it is tough. I think the worst thing for me was the posterior factor. The back labour was awful.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just an update. Dd3 was born 5 days ago after a 2.5hr labour (1st contraction to birth). She was 4.46kg 38cm head circ and 55cm long. She was LOT then went OP and obviously rotated again. It appears I always have posterior labours.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I laboured on the toilet and in the shower. Birthed in the shower on all fours and had no tearing or grazes. Also managed to completely ruin my obs shoes as it was too fast for her to change into scrubs.

She was very supportive of my decision to stay in the shower and birth my way. Just threatened jokingly to send me her bill for the shoes. The MW was fabulous and respected my choice for no internals and no continuous monitoring. She instead got wet every time she used the portable Doppler to check the heartbeat.

It was a good and easy birth (in hindsight, during it sucked).

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (09-10-2015),sunnygirl79  (09-10-2015),wobbleyhorse  (09-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Just an update. Dd3 was born 5 days ago after a 2.5hr labour (1st contraction to birth). She was 4.46kg 38cm head circ and 55cm long. She was LOT then went OP and obviously rotated again. It appears I always have posterior labours.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I laboured on the toilet and in the shower. Birthed in the shower on all fours and had no tearing or grazes. Also managed to completely ruin my obs shoes as it was too fast for her to change into scrubs.

She was very supportive of my decision to stay in the shower and birth my way. Just threatened jokingly to send me her bill for the shoes. The MW was fabulous and respected my choice for no internals and no continuous monitoring. She instead got wet every time she used the portable Doppler to check the heartbeat.

It was a good and easy birth (in hindsight, during it sucked).
    Congratulations! Rockstar mumma! Total respect. Really glad it went so well for you and gives all of us great hope/confidence to hear stories like that. Good on you for sticking to your guns.

My OB always has amazing shoes I can only hope I have a speedy delivery like you! (Would settle for twice as long tbh!). Well done 😊