+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Birthing big babies

I'm currently 38.5wks with my third. I was induced with my first and she was 4kg 38cm head circ. The labour was NOT pleasant and was long, ardous as she was posterior and need a vacuum at the end. No tears or grazing.

Dd2 was a spontaneous birth but posterior too but at 3.5kg she turned easily and was born in 3.5hrs after a long pre labour. No tears again.

This time my ob has just warned me that this baby is going to be big and may end up in a CS if it's bigger than my first.

This did throw me out a bit. I trust my ob completely and she doesn't beat around the bush. She is a straight talking doctor and knowing her she is trying to get me used to the idea of a long vs short labour.

So my question to you hubbers is- any suggestion how to birth a big baby ? 4kg + baby? As in specific moves or techniques. I'm ok with pain threshold so at this stage not planning an epidural so I will have the ability to move.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Your ob is being completely unfair. She's not great, sorry. Posterior babies don't generally come out easy no matter what the size, and first babies tend to be the hardest too. There is absolutely no way known to man that your ob could predict the labour you will have based on the sizeof your baby. I think it's really awful that your ob is placing this fear on to you....there is no scientific evidence to back her claims. None at all.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

MadSci  (25-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks but I'm not looking at arguing about my doctor but rather techniques to birth a big baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had 4 babies 1st 2.8 kg (six weeks early probably was going to be a big one), 2nd c-section over 4kg (breach), 3rd and 4th Vbac both over 4kg. I only got grazing with the first 2.8kg baby. So I agree your Doctor could not possibly know. You have done it before you can do it again.
    I stand up as much as possible during labour, try not to freak out and breath threw the contractions. My longest labour was 8 hours and that was the first. Good luck belive in yourself.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Skye Baby For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 5 babies have been between 4kg exact and 5.2kg and all have been born vaginally with no tearing. My go to position for birthing in on hands and knees, kind of squatting. Open your pelvis up and let gravity help.
    And don't let your OB's words bring fear into you. Fear of pain, of baby getting stuck, of tearing, etc. hinders labour.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to trustno1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Thanks but I'm not looking at arguing about my doctor but rather techniques to birth a big baby.
    Woops, sorry. I misread that last bit (distracted by kids). Anything that opens your pelvis up is good for birthing big babies. So all fours, squatting, or even lying on your side with top leg elevated if you are tired and feel like standing/kneeling is too hard at that point.
    I do hope your ob doesn't try and persuade you to have a c-section. If you can have a vacuum extraction without tears then your body sounds perfectly designed to birth a decent sized baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    Woops, sorry. I misread that last bit (distracted by kids). Anything that opens your pelvis up is good for birthing big babies. So all fours, squatting, or even lying on your side with top leg elevated if you are tired and feel like standing/kneeling is too hard at that point.
    I do hope your ob doesn't try and persuade you to have a c-section. If you can have a vacuum extraction without tears then your body sounds perfectly designed to birth a decent sized baby.
    No my ob knows I don't want cs. But I'm not in as good a head space this time plus with the other crap I have going on she is worried about my emotional coping ability vs my physical ability.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't but my SIL's 2nd was 4.5kg and she birth him naturally in a bath. Minor tearing, but very quick labor. Her first was 3.6kg and a long difficult labor.

Your ob is probably just wanting to flag a possibility, nothing more. Try not to let that thought enter your mind. Having already had 2 vag births your body knows what to do and is more than capable. Trust your body, don't let negative thoughts distract you. Any position that opens your pelvis and maximises gravity will help - am totally sure you will be absolutely fine, and we'll all be coming to you for tips in a few months 😉

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    This helped me birth my second who was 4.31kgs after my DD (4.22kg was in a bad position and had turned with forceps and delivered posterior).

This was a tip from yoga. Keep yourself up right and don't sink back when lounging about in the weeks leading up to the birth to help encourage the baby to be anterior

Looking at spinning babies website for tips to turn posterior babies

I laboured upright as much as possible or on my knees. Gravity helps!

Birthed in a birthing pool on my knees leaning over the side. I would have birthed in a shower or elsewhere in that position as that really helped me.

I let my body do most of the work when it came to pushing - I think I pushed once right at the end.

Good luck! I found DS's birth to be such a magical experience after a tough birth with my DD

14. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I stayed home as long as possible, had no VE's and only checked with a doppler which she tried to while I was standing upright but had to get on the bed for about two minutes while she found his heartbeat. I believe laying down was a factor in my difficulties with DD.

While I was on maternity leave I found it useful to do some meditation/yoga for about 30 minutes a day just to help me relax a bit.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post: