+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    no

the implicit message behind making available free kits is 'its ok to take drugs, here we will provide a way to test them for you' ... its a statement of acceptance that drug taking is ok.
    No, it doesn't actually.There are already websites set up where people can post about good/bad pills. Harm minimisation does not encourage drug use. Like Delirium said, that is a huge myth.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

monkeymama  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    15 years ago, pre kids, I was a raver. We actually used to buy test kits back then even ($40 a kit that would last for approx. 100 pill tests), because while we wanted to party we didn't want to take something bad. And yes, we did end up with a few bad pills, and we did not take them because of the test results (we also never bought from that source again). We didn't take the drugs just because they were "safe", we took them because we wanted their effects but weren't prepared to trust any Tom, Richard or Harry drug dealer to be telling us the truth.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to trustno1 For This Useful Post:

monkeymama  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes.

I am of the School of thought that people are going to do, what people are going to do and after seeing a documentary on the success of this sort of thing in the Netherlands and Sweden I think it was, where they have actual drug Chemists etc set up at dance parties and raves etc, as well as clinics in the Netherlands where people can take their drugs/pills to, I am very much in favour of this sort of thing.

https://dancesafe.org/
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 22-09-2015 at 09:19.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I would support this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I would also support this.

I am all for harm minimisation.

For those interested here is an article about drug policy in Portugal. Just over 14 years ago Portugal decriminilised drugs and the success they have had in preventing drug overdoses and other harm caused by drugs is food for thought. They approach drug use from a public health stance rather than a criminal stance.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10301780.html

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

delirium  (22-09-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeymama View Post
    I heard the report of the young person that overdosed recently and my first reaction? Legalise.

So yes I would be very supportive of testing kits and any other harm reduction methods - including legalisation of certain substances.

Why is it ok for adults to choose to write themselves off with alcohol, but not ok to safely purchase & take a pill that also alters your mind for hours? Yes people can still have bad reactions with a regulated substance.. Like alcohol. Who hasn't known or come across the angry rum drinker? At least if it was legalised there could be safe, regulated and reliable sources to purchase from.

As a teen I was a drug taker, we took risks but we didn't think they were stupid risks at the time and no one would have convinced us otherwise. We saw all the drug education, we saw people OD in films or in the news. We weren't unruly douchebag teenagers either - we were all well educated, one of the guys is now in neuroscience. My point is we did it anyway knowing all the risks. Just like cigarette smokers. Just like people who binge drink alcohol on a night out.

As a society we don't have the resources to keep up with or even touch the sides of the illegal drug trade. If we did, there wouldn't be one (considering this "battle" has been going on way longer than any of us have been alive).

More sniffer dogs & police at festivals is NOT the answer. This makes it worse - so many kids see the dogs, panic, and take all the drugs their holding at once and find themselves in serious danger. I've witnessed this first hand just a couple years ago at Splendor in the Grass, two young guys carrying their heavily drugged almost passed out buddy on the path up to the entrance at 10am (yes ambulance was called). Other young people "pre-load" which means to take as many drugs as you can handle before attending an event - also a serious risk of ODing.

http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/449093/gr...-festivals.htm

Anyway I know on this forum I will most likely be slammed for this opinion so I'll stop here.

http://www.urban75.com/Drugs/drugten.html

http://www.thefix.com/content/decrim...en-years-later
    my answer to that is - its not ok.

we have a MASSIVE problem with alcohol abuse in this country. Alcohol abuse fills our hospitals, causes massive domestic violence and family abuse, motor vehicle accidents and all kinds.

Saying - "well alcohol is legal" isnt a good argument for making something else legal

I dont propose to know all the answers. Hell I dont know ANY of the answers ... but I would need a fair bit more evidence before thinking that this was a good idea.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

monkeymama  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    This is just purely my stance, but drugs have been around since we became homo sapiens. Peyote from the cactus. The Aztecs used Magic Mushies, tobacco, and a seed that was a hallucinogen. Mummies of ancient China have found to have THC in their tissues. Ancient priests used opium and alcohol has been around for tens of thousands of years.

I believe it's how we manage the use. From a medical not criminal stand point as Cheerlee says. I'm not necessarily advocating legalising Ice, in fact I'm not. But the criminality of drugs often worsen the cycle. The black market, 'bad' drugs, theft ect is from it being illegal. Many don't seek treatment as they fear being charged or having their kids taken.

It's time to look at drugs through a different lens, both legal and illegal bc what we are doing thus far isn't working.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

monkeymama  (22-09-2015),PomPoms  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would have to say no.

Reason being, I have never really been involved with drugs or drug takers in any way, so I don't have any insight into the workings of the minds of people who do this. I can only go off MY personality.... which at a young age, something like this would definitely have encouraged me to take drugs where I otherwise wouldn't have. Sounds stupid, but that's the way my brain works and that's all I can go by. Had this been available when I was a young and stupid teen, it would have given me that reassurance to go yep, it's safe, I'll do it. Maybe other people's brain's don't work like mine, but it does surprise me that many people think it wouldn't encourage drug usage. I think that it would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Maybe other people's brain's don't work like mine, but it does surprise me that many people think it wouldn't encourage drug usage. I think that it would.
    There's actually a lot of scientific research that has gone to harm minimisation...before I had studied drug and alcohol abuse myself, I would have said no...but after reading the evidence I changed my mind. I can't share links because they are all paid articles, but I suspect that those who are saying yes probably have done some research themselves at some point.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

monkeymama  (22-09-2015),MsViking  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    So you didn't drink before you were 18?!

To the people answering no, is it more to the mandatory part or just the idea of kits in the first place?
    I didn't drink before I was 18. No I lie, I drank at schoolies when I was a couple of months before I turned 18, but otherwise, it was just something you didn't do, because it was illegal and unsafe. As soon as I turned 18 and I could legally go out and drink, I drank myself into oblivion on a weekly basis.

I know these kits wouldn't be changing the law on drug usage and they would still be illegal - however for teens like the kind of teen I was - who basically went "I'm going to do this now, because I can". Well. I really don't see how it's not an encouragment to do so.

BUT as I said before I honestly have no idea, and I guess a lot of the people saying yes to the kits DO have experience in this area and understand it a lot more than I do. I just personally morally couldn't support it. It's not something I'd get up in arms about and protest if it happened though. If it saved someones life, it's done it's job. Just hope it wouldn't encourage too many others into a life of drugs they'd have otherwise stayed away from.