+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think it would make more people take drugs. It would still be illegal so you'd have to be willing to cross that line.
    You'd have to find a way to buy said drugs etc And even if it's tested it doesn't make it safe and good for your health.
    So no I don't see people not taking drugs now starting to take them just because of these kits.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Full House  (22-09-2015),harvs  (22-09-2015),Mod-Uniquey  (22-09-2015),monkeymama  (22-09-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    no

the implicit message behind making available free kits is 'its ok to take drugs, here we will provide a way to test them for you' ... its a statement of acceptance that drug taking is ok.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

harvs  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Would kits really make it safer though? Would people genuinely not take something because the kit said not to? They've already spent the money and taken them to the festival so that would mean they'd have to be willing to attend the festival drug free. I kinda lean towards many people still taking them, when you take a pill you do so knowing it's usually cut with something and drugs are pretty expensive in Australia (compared to UK and USA) so I imagine some not wanting to feel like they wasted that money.

I didn't read your link though so maybe that was all addressed? Does this mean they'd not search for drugs before entrance?

Also...we often took the pill before entering...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (22-09-2015),monkeymama  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

harvs  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely. I'm all for harm minimization cause, you know, less harm = good.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

harvs  (22-09-2015),monkeymama  (22-09-2015),MsViking  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I understand where you are coming from.

That link I posted says that the majority of users that were asked stated that they wouldn't take the drug if testing revealed that the drug wasn't what they thought/was insufficiently pure etc., and that they would warn other people, so I'm not sure about that argument.

The majority also stated that they would use testing gear if it was available.

Of course if doesn't guarantee that people will make good choices, but I tend to be in the 'if it saves a life it can't be so bad' camp.

I hadn't thought about it giving people a reason to take drugs who normally wouldn't. I'd be interested to know how accurate that is. One reason I never touched pills was because I was terrified of ODing, and I'm not sure that testing kits would allay that fear...
    I vaguely remember a story I listened to on Hack (Triple J) a while ago. It was about drugs and injecting rooms. They also mentioned how easy it is to buy drugs (you can do it online!) But in the online community there are groups who 'review and test' the drugs so people know which ones to avoid. This is similaelr. I know illicit drugs are illegal. But that does not stop people from taking it. What may is if they think they bought good ecstacy but really after testing they found half was rat poison. This could've saved their life. Same with knowing the purity.

So if this happened then what/how can they provide diaposal ao aomeone elae doesn't find it and pick it up and take it. Or a desperate person doesn't just 'raid' the place for drugs?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

harvs  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps unsurprisingly I think its a good idea, though I'm with the "strongly encouraged" rather than "mandatory".

Yeah, people will take drugs regardless but every little bit helps.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

harvs  (22-09-2015),monkeymama  (22-09-2015),turquoisecoast  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I heard the report of the young person that overdosed recently and my first reaction? Legalise.

So yes I would be very supportive of testing kits and any other harm reduction methods - including legalisation of certain substances.

Why is it ok for adults to choose to write themselves off with alcohol, but not ok to safely purchase & take a pill that also alters your mind for hours? Yes people can still have bad reactions with a regulated substance.. Like alcohol. Who hasn't known or come across the angry rum drinker? At least if it was legalised there could be safe, regulated and reliable sources to purchase from.

As a teen I was a drug taker, we took risks but we didn't think they were stupid risks at the time and no one would have convinced us otherwise. We saw all the drug education, we saw people OD in films or in the news. We weren't unruly douchebag teenagers either - we were all well educated, one of the guys is now in neuroscience. My point is we did it anyway knowing all the risks. Just like cigarette smokers. Just like people who binge drink alcohol on a night out.

As a society we don't have the resources to keep up with or even touch the sides of the illegal drug trade. If we did, there wouldn't be one (considering this "battle" has been going on way longer than any of us have been alive).

More sniffer dogs & police at festivals is NOT the answer. This makes it worse - so many kids see the dogs, panic, and take all the drugs their holding at once and find themselves in serious danger. I've witnessed this first hand just a couple years ago at Splendor in the Grass, two young guys carrying their heavily drugged almost passed out buddy on the path up to the entrance at 10am (yes ambulance was called). Other young people "pre-load" which means to take as many drugs as you can handle before attending an event - also a serious risk of ODing.

http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/449093/gr...-festivals.htm

Anyway I know on this forum I will most likely be slammed for this opinion so I'll stop here.

http://www.urban75.com/Drugs/drugten.html

http://www.thefix.com/content/decrim...en-years-later

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeymama For This Useful Post:

harvs  (22-09-2015),Moxy  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yes. I believe in harm minimisation. My experience is that people are going to do drugs if they want to, providing harm minimisation strategies statistically does not encourage drug use. That is a huge myth.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Full House  (22-09-2015),harvs  (22-09-2015),monkeymama  (22-09-2015),MsViking  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I don't think it would make more people take drugs. It would still be illegal so you'd have to be willing to cross that line.
    You'd have to find a way to buy said drugs etc And even if it's tested it doesn't make it safe and good for your health.
    So no I don't see people not taking drugs now starting to take them just because of these kits.
    I think there'd be a whole lot of people who would believe that testing is makes it ok. Because they know now that they're not taking a 'bad drug', they're taking a 'good drug'.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (22-09-2015)