Scheduled Induction - what to expect? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Scheduled Induction - what to expect?

Hi Ladies,

I am booked in for this Thursday night for a scheduled induction at 38 weeks due to GD. At last check I was 1cm dilated with a soft cervix (bishops score of 4) so hoping that will help things along.

Just wondering what I should expect to happen, and if anyone has any tips/advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Do you know what type of induction they're planning?

I was induced with my first baby with a Foley catheter - it was a tiny bit uncomfortable when they put it in but mostly just awkward as you have it stuffed in your undies or taped to your leg overnight.

I felt period type pain over night and was sufficiently dilated the next morning to have my waters broken. They also started the syntocin drip at the same time. Contractions were full on straight away but didn't get worse so managed with gas and although I was monitored I was able to move around (off the bed/on the ground/hands and knees etc). Bubs was prosterior but turned during labour.

Baby was out 4hrs later. Yay!

I think my biggest tip is to just go with the flow, be aware of possible outcomes (ie, c/sec) and enjoy the ride :-)

Best wishes 😀

ETA: is there anything else you would like to know?
    Last edited by wobbleyhorse; 21-09-2015 at 18:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    Do you know what type of induction they're planning?

I was induced with my first baby with a Foley catheter - it was a tiny bit uncomfortable when they put it in but mostly just awkward as you have it stuffed in your undies or taped to your leg overnight.

I felt period type pain over night and was sufficiently dilated the next morning to have my waters broken. They also started the syntocin drip at the same time. Contractions were full on straight away but didn't get worse so managed with gas and although I was monitored I was able to move around (off the bed/on the ground/hands and knees etc). Bubs was prosterior but turned during labour.

Baby was out 4hrs later. Yay!

I think my biggest tip is to just go with the flow, be aware of possible outcomes (ie, c/sec) and enjoy the ride :-)

Best wishes ������

ETA: is there anything else you would like to know?
    This is exactly what I wanted to hear Dr mentioned that foleys catheter overnight is the plan. And good to hear that you managed without an Epi - I keep reading so many stories of people having to have an epidural because the contractions got too much.

Just a question - am I ok to have PJs on overnight while the catheter does its thing, or go straight to the raggedy/cheapy nighty I got to labour in?

Thanks
    Reviews

I was induced with gel 5 days overdue and GD.
    They checked me at 6pm I was 1cm dilated and put in the first lot of gel. The plan was every 6 hours. Almost instantly I felt contractions and they were pretty painful. I am a total wuss can't even get my legs waxed but DP convinced me to hold off on asking for an epi. Midnight rolled around and I felt the urge to push so next thing I knew I had a baby within the hour. So I didn't really get a chance for an epi anyway.

That's my super summarised induction story anyway.

ETA just saw your response that your doc is going with the catheter sorry I don't have anything to add with that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I just wore PJ's overnight then changed into a hospital gown when they broke my waters.

I've since had a second baby (spontaneous birth though) and I have to say, I liked my induction just that bit better than the spontaneous. I'm not sure if that's because there was a plan or a sense of this is happening and happening now rather than the 'is this a contraction, no, yes, oh god it is....' Then the drive to the hospital, then the assessment, then moving to the birth suite..anyhoo, I'm rambling now.

Best of luck with it all and be sure to let us know how you go 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd heard so many induction horror stories, I was convinced it would inevitably lead to an epi for the pain and then every other kind of intervention. But it wasn't that bad! I mean, it was obviously pretty damn painful, but I still managed an otherwise natural and intervention free birth.
    The downside was that I couldn't use water for pain relief because of having the monitor attached, but an upside of that was that I quite liked watching the contractions come and go on the little print out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced at 39+6 with my first.
    Waters broken, when contractions didn't start I had the drip.
    Laboured in the spa with gas.
    I'd do it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with my second, due to choleostasis. It was a great labour! I didn't need gel, they broke my water (piece of cake) and then I requested time for contractions to begin without he drip. I ended up with 1.5 hours (thanks to an awesome midwife!). They didn't start, so I had the drip, but only needed a little bit to get labour started. 1 hour 25 min later, I was in the shower and decided I needed an epi. The midwife told me to hop on the bed, so she could check me out and organise the epi. The next contraction, I said "actually, I need to push" and so my hubby had to run and push the "help needed" button to get a second midwife in. 5 min later, dd was born in the shower!

I was terrified of being induced, but it was great

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was induced at 40+5, can't really add anything other than to try to ensure the drip isn't in your dominate hand, really hard to wipe your bum when you get the "clearing out" happening with the wrong hand good luck, mine was my 4th birth and it went quiet well with just gel and I managed with just gas for the last hour

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ba ha ha!!!! Classic!

I also have 2 great induction stories (gel) and two straightforward births. Absolutely happy to have another induction this time round if u go over.

Had an epi with the first one, 12 hrs in more because I was getting exhausted rather than not being able to cope with pain, and I had only got to 4 cms. The epi replaced my body to fully dilate, and give me a rest so I had the strength to push her out.

Second Bub I didn't need the epi, but it was much faster!