+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What age did you take dummy away?

In hindsight, do you think it was too early or late?

How did you do it and did it work/what would you do differently?

Thanks in advance! 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The dummy fairy came at aged 3. It worked great for us. Dummy was only used for settling for a sleep and we talked about what a big boy he was and babies needed his dummies more than him etc. The dummy fairy left a present in their place. He asked for a dummy for two nights and then never again.
    It was good timing for us. He understood the concept and took it pretty well

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (21-09-2015),Gracie's Mum  (21-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (21-09-2015),SAgirl  (21-09-2015),SpicyTurtle  (21-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It went a couple of months before DD turned 3. We hadn't planned it at all. She asked for some bubbles we had and I jokingly said I'd give them to her if she threw her dummy in the bin. She willingly did that and when she asked that night for her dummy, we reminded her she'd thrown it in the bin. I think she asked for it once the next night as well and then it was forgotten about. She looooved her dummy but only had it for bed. We were very surprised at how easy it was. I think she was just ready.

Looking to get rid of DD2's dummy these holidays. She's 2 and 4 months but not as attached to her dummy as DD1 was.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnybambino For This Useful Post:

SpicyTurtle  (21-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    2yo for dd2. Should have done it earlier. It was bloody annoying

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default What age did you take dummy away?

18 months, I think it was the perfect time, she wasn't reliant on it to sleep but she preferred to have it.

She started popping them and they were always getting lost, I'd had enough of worrying about it so chucked them all out, think the first night she woke up and cried for 20 minutes but fell back asleep and that was that.

That was a couple of months ago, she has only found one in that time and put it in her mouth, I took it off her and binned in, she didn't seem to care.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DreamyMummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    6 months. Perfect timing for us. I did it at the same time he was learning to roll (and the dummy started falling out-annoying!) so I had to get him out of swaddles and he also moved from basinette to cot. Just did all three at the same time and it wasn't too much of a drama. I was also worried about how it would affect his teeth so wanted to get rid of it before they came through and I'd heard lots a bad stories from people trying to get rid of them when they were older so I tried to avoid that. It was great in the early months but I'm glad I got rid of it when he was still young.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Noty For This Useful Post:

SpicyTurtle  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    About 3 years and 4 months, wish we'd have done it earlier as it was easier than expected!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bel2466 View Post
    The dummy fairy came at aged 3. It worked great for us. Dummy was only used for settling for a sleep and we talked about what a big boy he was and babies needed his dummies more than him etc. The dummy fairy left a present in their place. He asked for a dummy for two nights and then never again.
    It was good timing for us. He understood the concept and took it pretty well
    Pretty much exactly what we did

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (21-09-2015),SpicyTurtle  (22-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We didn't. DD ditched it all of her own accord somewhere around 9 months. Now she just sucks her thumb, and even then only when she's tired and wants to go to sleep.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Catzilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My charge was 2 yrs old when the 'dummy fairy' took it for a baby who needed it. She got a stuffed toy fairy in return, but I think she's a bit resentful towards it. Asked for dummy a few times the first few nights and then was fine.

Her parents decided it was time as she was heading toward an overbite.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TandR For This Useful Post: