+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    oh that's crappy then that they're saying no cancer. is this exclusion subject to a waiting period or it's a flat out no unless you pay the increased premiums now?

what other insurances have you got besides life? eg: income protection (which you get it you can't work due to disability/illness or injury), trauma etc?

Insurance is so bloody confusing (and expensive).
    I think it's harsh if it is just Life cover.

If there is a medical loaded added I think that is super harsh.

I would have assumed *maybe* a cancer exclusion (for the particular cancer) with the option to review in x amount of time.

TPD again - I would assume an exclusion. Same with Trauma/Critical Illness.

So in summary - they are harsh.

If you want to call the company (I would suggest you do) then ask to speak to the underwriter who assessed it and ask them what the reasoning is. They should be able to explain it (the underwriters at work do it all the time).

If you do not understand or think it is unfair ask what is required to change the assessment (time? Dr report? Etc etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband has has cancer twice in the last 7 years. After the second time our financial advisor told us we needed to wait 12 months before even looking at getting a new policy. It's about to tick over 12 months in November so I guess we will prob have similar issues ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbleGuts View Post
    My husband has has cancer twice in the last 7 years. After the second time our financial advisor told us we needed to wait 12 months before even looking at getting a new policy. It's about to tick over 12 months in November so I guess we will prob have similar issues ..
    Thanks for your reply. I hope all is good with your hubby. It's been over 12 months for us, so really not sure. I def will get DH to see a financial advisor asap and try sort this out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I hope all is good with your hubby. It's been over 12 months for us, so really not sure. I def will get DH to see a financial advisor asap and try sort this out.
    Would like to hear how you go with it. Hubby is ok, missing a few internal body parts but cancer free which is main thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys. I am a financial adviser and deal with insurance applications every day. Definitely first port of call is to seek advice from an experienced financial adviser. Secondly DO NOT cancel your existing policy - It should still be valid providing there was no cancer exclusion in the first place.

You have got some good advice in here (must give you my disclaimer given I AM an adviser that I can't/am not giving you personal advice with limited information and you should seek advice ASAP).

Most of the time in this situation I would ask lots of questions about diagnosis, treatment, prognosis etc, and then ring around and get a pre-assessment from various underwriters on exclusions or loadings etc. that way you have an idea before you go down the application path what the likely outcome is.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have if I can 😉

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to careermum For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (21-09-2015),twinklify  (21-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by careermum View Post
    Hi guys. I am a financial adviser and deal with insurance applications every day. Definitely first port of call is to seek advice from an experienced financial adviser. Secondly DO NOT cancel your existing policy - It should still be valid providing there was no cancer exclusion in the first place.

You have got some good advice in here (must give you my disclaimer given I AM an adviser that I can't/am not giving you personal advice with limited information and you should seek advice ASAP).

Most of the time in this situation I would ask lots of questions about diagnosis, treatment, prognosis etc, and then ring around and get a pre-assessment from various underwriters on exclusions or loadings etc. that way you have an idea before you go down the application path what the likely outcome is.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have if I can 😉
    Thanks so much, that's great. Yes the original policy def had no exclusions so good to know it's still valid. I was worried that the cancer would void that one as well.

DH jumped the gun a bit contacting the insurance company direct. You think they would have told him to talk to a financial adviser... Which is where he organised the original cover in the first place. Not sure why he didn't just contact the FA again, probably didn't think it was necessary for an upgrade.

Will have a chat to him and see how we go.