+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What does early labour feel like?

Hi ladies. I'm almost 39 weeks along with DC2. My first labour was precipitous. I woke up with very strong contractions 4-5 mins apart. There was no early labour that I felt (although I do wonder what went on before I woke up).

My question is, what does early labour feel like? I've been getting lots of period pain and mild back ache in the evenings recently. Tonight more so. Nothing major and definitely not painful, but I find myself wondering how it'll start if I'm awake. I assume I won't just be sitting here and then suddenly be in agony.

Will the pain come in contractions/waves? Or is lingering period pain/back pain normal before contractions start? How long did your early contractions last (30 seconds? 1 minute?)

Thanks so much for any info. I'm getting so excited thinking about it. Hopefully it happens in the next week or so!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had back pain intermittently through the night. I was exhausted, so while it kept waking me, I didn't time anything. My waters broke the next morning. After that I think the contractions started at about 8 min apart for about 30 seconds. It felt like very mild period type pain for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My second labour started with waters breaking. Then absolutely nothing for 30hrs. Then it started with period pain, then slow cramps.

Constant back pain is a positive sign.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. I wasn't sure if early labour back pain should come in waves or be constant, so that's good to know. I haven't had a sore back this pregnancy, so it must be some sort of sign. I've been losing my mucous plug too, with more lost today. Period pain is almost at the stage of needing a heat pack, so that's increasing too. Fingers crossed! I'm so excited! Trying not to think too deeply of the labour itself though, or I'll scare myself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So different for everyone. Great that you have lost your mucous plug that sounds promising! Try to rest (yeah right) while the contractions are slow. You've no idea how long it may go on for (hopefully not long though!).

When labor started for me it was like lower back period pain. On and off every 10 mins or so. And gradually got shorter between, within an hour or 2 it was 7 mins, then 6, then 5 and so on...never stopped or stalled and I had never had any braxton hicks etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any update?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, my DD was born last night! I guess what I was feeling a few days prior was my body ramping up for labour. I ended up having about 3 hours of pre-labour, where my contractions varied from barely noticeable to slightly painful. They came in waves in my tummy and back. I had bloody discharge all day. 4 hours of active labour followed that. Longer than with my first, but much better!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to quietlyhopeful For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (25-09-2015),JustJaq  (25-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In similar shoes now myself. Losing mucous all week with on/off waves of period pain. No bloody discharge yet tho.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by quietlyhopeful View Post
    Hi ladies, my DD was born last night! I guess what I was feeling a few days prior was my body ramping up for labour. I ended up having about 3 hours of pre-labour, where my contractions varied from barely noticeable to slightly painful. They came in waves in my tummy and back. I had bloody discharge all day. 4 hours of active labour followed that. Longer than with my first, but much better!
    Congrats!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I'll be in the same boat as you. My first I had no early labour.