+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Keep your plate away from him so he can't grab at it. Ds would do that too if I let him near mine! I stick him in his high hair far enough away from the kitchen table so he's not grabbing everything on it.

For each main meal feed him til he turns his head away or starts spitting it out/throwing it on the ground. This is ds telling me he's had enough. You just have to make sure you have enough food on hand - anything you don't eat can go back in the fridge til the next meal/day.

From my times ds is eating roughly every 2-2.5 hours (except for the middle of the day when he's sleeping). I've found that's enough if he's eating enough at main meals.
    I have trouble knowing when hes finished because throwing food for him isnt a sign of being full. Its something hes always done, i think its a game.

He never wants what i put on his highchair tray, he wants my plate & everything on it. If i dont give it to him he screams & has a tantrum, if i do give it to him he throws the plate. So i just dont have a plate anywhere that he can see but im not a fan of eating somewhere he cant see me while he has food in case he chokes, so i just dont eat while hes eating

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So do a share plate. If he wants food off it, ask him what he wants and put it in his hand. Don't give him the plate.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (19-09-2015),amyd  (19-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (19-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    So do a share plate. If he wants food off it, ask him what he wants and put it in his hand. Don't give him the plate.
    How do i know what he wants? He just goes 'muummm muuummmm MUUMMMM!!!!!!' and points frantically at the plate. So i have to offer him the plate & let him take something off it, and then of course he wants the plate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Offer him one of everything?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Now hes eating & i cant keep up with how hungry he is!

"Do you want some carrot?" point to carrot. Etc etc.

Or do the "Mummy's having some carrot, do you want some carrot?" If he always wants what you're having.

ETA - just because he wants the plate, or points at it, doesn't mean you have to give it to him. You can try the above, or put two different things in each hand and let him pick.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (19-09-2015),Pearlygirl  (19-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (19-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like you're doing a great job as is!! Can you make my meals too lol? When you're feeling stressed try to remember that it's just a phase and he will grow out of it. I think there also might be plates that suction onto the high chair so they can't be thrown. Sorry I don't have much more advice except hang in there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's great that he loves his food! People have offered some great suggestions about what to offer.

But, it sounds like he needs some (gentle) firm boundaries.

`You are hungry, I will get some food but please stop screaming'
    `You are throwing your food, does that mean you are finished?' `You threw your food again, thankyou for telling me you are finished' (take him out of his high chair and set him down'.

You are the Mum, it is OK for you to sit down and eat too. Some self care and looking after your basic needs is important.

Maybe acknowledging his screaming will help you cope with it `Please stop screaming, I can't concentrate and I am trying to get your food ready'.

It is OK for him to learn he needs to wait a couple of minutes while you prepare food.

I'd strong suggest looking at Janet Lansbury's writing, she is excellent and follows an RIE philosphy'.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Full House  (19-09-2015),Happymum2  (19-09-2015),Hollywood  (19-09-2015),misskittyfantastico  (19-09-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (19-09-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    It's great that he loves his food! People have offered some great suggestions about what to offer.

But, it sounds like he needs some (gentle) firm boundaries.

`You are hungry, I will get some food but please stop screaming'
    `You are throwing your food, does that mean you are finished?' `You threw your food again, thankyou for telling me you are finished' (take him out of his high chair and set him down'.

You are the Mum, it is OK for you to sit down and eat too. Some self care and looking after your basic needs is important.

Maybe acknowledging his screaming will help you cope with it `Please stop screaming, I can't concentrate and I am trying to get your food ready'.

It is OK for him to learn he needs to wait a couple of minutes while you prepare food.

I'd strong suggest looking at Janet Lansbury's writing, she is excellent and follows an RIE philosphy'.
    This ^^

I've recently been setting some firm but gentle boundries with ds and I think it's helping (with other issues though he will throw his plate when he is finished but I've been reinforcing the idea that if he is done he puts the plate on the table).

With the hungry all the time thing...do you have predictable meal times? I think this helps my ds. Also for my ds 2 hours between meals is a long time...so I'm not surprised your ds wants food at 3pm and 5pm. I think feeding him every hour is excessive though...maybe he is bored, thirsty or just wants to play?

It sounds like you're doing a great job. It's a difficult stage as they want to be more independent but their communication skills are poor (hence the screaming).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (19-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly I'd let him tantrum. I don't ever give ds the plate because he does the same thing. I also can't put lots of food on his tray because it ends up on the floor. It is a game. They all do it! He gets a bit of food on his tray at a time to eat, if he keeps throwing it away, spitting it out and not eating we stop. I'll offer it to him a bit later or at his next meal time if he refuses again.

My DS is only a little younger than yours and he is already having little tantrums if he doesn't get what he wants. Bad luck. DS wants lots of things he can't have (eg the computer, plates of food, DH's beer, standing in the bath, eating dog biscuits - you get my drift). He throws tantrums, that's ok.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (19-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    How do i know what he wants? He just goes 'muummm muuummmm MUUMMMM!!!!!!' and points frantically at the plate. So i have to offer him the plate & let him take something off it, and then of course he wants the plate.
    Pick up 2 things and let him take 1.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (19-09-2015)