+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I find I don't need to take heaps of space in fridge/freezer. Just make things for the week. Cook a batch of pikelets, take one/two out overy night to defrost. Keep the rest in the freezer. Boil up eggs every 2nd-3rd day. Just peel and leave in fridge. Make some hummus - it freezes well in small containers. Just take out the day before to defrost. With fruit - precut every night. Cut up cheese or buy cheese cubes. Yoghurt in pouches are great. Oh, even make a batch of mini quiche or something in muffin tins. They freeze well. So does zucchini slice. It won't take up too much room at all and if you take it out and he doesn't eat it you can keep it there for the next day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Re: food for yourself you can do it the night before or just put him in the highchair in the kitchen and prep/eat next to him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's fabulous he is eating for you but its ok to let him tantrum for 2-5min while you get something ready for him. He will need to learn that mummy needs time to do stuff.

Chickpeas, kidney beans and butter beans are great snacks.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

amyd  (19-09-2015),TheGooch  (19-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know its ok to let him cry but i cant deal with it. I dont know if its a pnd/anxiety thjng but i end up with stress through the roof, half the time i end up crying too, cause he just wont stop till I feed him & i can never be fast enough to suit him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    And how do I make food for myself? Due to the screaming i just need to get food made for him as quickly as possible, i dont have time to make myself anything as well. So i eat a yoghurt or something if im lucky (but he always wants mine so i dont get to eat it anyway) & then eat properly when hes asleep. If he wont sleep like yesterday then i struggle to eat. Its like having a newborn again!
    You eat when you can. With 4 kids it's only now my youngest is 2 my life is regular. Even then she's still incredibly needy. I eat food I can prepare quickly and with one hand, and eat with one hand.

You adapt. You have to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Re prep time and eating yourself - I don't feed my kid special foods - he eats what I eat so when we eat it's all
    together. This will cut down food prep time for yourself as you're making enough for everyone to eat instead of separate meals, then sit down and eat with him.

I have times when I feed ds rather than allowing him to graze all day long. Outside of food times its play/sleep. I don't think it's a great habit to start allowing them to dictate when they get food personally.

7-8am He eats toast or weetbix or fruit and yogurt for breakfast.

10am Morning tea is fruit.

11.30/12pm Lunch is eggs, vegetables, left overs from last night, sandwiches, tuna etc (all fairly easy to put together). Usually picky type food he can eat himself.

3pm Afternoon tea is cruskits/avocado/rice or corn crackers with a spread, cheese cubes and so on.

5.30/6pm Tea is the main family meal and then usually fruit and Greek yoghurt or fruit and custard.

Hth

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know its ok to let him cry but i cant deal with it. I dont know if its a pnd/anxiety thjng but i end up with stress through the roof, half the time i end up crying too, cause he just wont stop till I feed him & i can never be fast enough to suit him
    I had to teach myself to detach from the crying/screaming. If you can stick in headphones with loud music and don't look at him. I forces myself to sing a song/speak quietly. When I did that my anxiety could not peak. The speaking is just random stuff like 'just going to the fridge.. I see milk etc etc'. I'm sorry but kids cry a lot. They won't stop for years. And you need to be able to help yourself by controlling your anxiety. He will be fine for those few minutes. Then cuddle and feed etc and move on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was actually more of that line of thought pearlygirl so ive been trying more specific meal times, but it just doesn't seem to be often enough as we have massive screaming.

If i ate what he eats i dont get any as he takes mine & either eats it all or throws it at me or on the floor

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have healthy snacks and meals ready to go for you in the fridge. When my daughter was younger I'd fall into the trap of snacking on biscuits and lollies all day because I could just grab them. So maybe have some grapes washed in a bowl, ripe bananas in the fruit bowl, melons already sliced. I find my 2.5 year old still takes ages to eat so I can usually prep something quickly like a salad sandwich and eat it in the time it takes for her to eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was actually more of that line of thought pearlygirl so ive been trying more specific meal times, but it just doesn't seem to be often enough as we have massive screaming.

If i ate what he eats i dont get any as he takes mine & either eats it all or throws it at me or on the floor
    Keep your plate away from him so he can't grab at it. Ds would do that too if I let him near mine! I stick him in his high hair far enough away from the kitchen table so he's not grabbing everything on it.

For each main meal feed him til he turns his head away or starts spitting it out/throwing it on the ground. This is ds telling me he's had enough. You just have to make sure you have enough food on hand - anything you don't eat can go back in the fridge til the next meal/day.

From my times ds is eating roughly every 2-2.5 hours (except for the middle of the day when he's sleeping). I've found that's enough if he's eating enough at main meals.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (19-09-2015)