+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Now hes eating & i cant keep up with how hungry he is!

My 14 month old ds has FINALLY started eating properly. So this is all fairly new to me.

Now he seems hungry almost constantly & im running out of ideas of what to feed him.

He has 2-3 serves of fruit a day so i dont think he should have much more than that & he has a reasonable amount of veggies.

Everything has to be preprepared because he has no hunger cues at all until suddenly he decides hes ravernous & starts screaming & wont stop until I feed him. His crying has always had an effect on me & it sends my stress levels through the roof so anything i feed him needs to be very easy. Even heating stuff up in the microwave involves lots of screaming. Im trying to keep finger food on hand that i can give him while im prepping but even that doesnt always work.

Im struggling to find enough variety. Dh just goes, oh give him a sandwich or some pasta. But he can't have sandwiches or pasta multiple times a day.

Like yesterday he ate:

Breakfast - one whole weetbix with strawberries & was still hungry so i gave him some more

A couple of hours later he was hungry again so he had a bottle of half & half formula & cows milk (trying to wean to cows milk) then wanted more so i gave him a peanut butter sandwich with some cheese & cucumber & a whole kiwi fruit. He ate pretty much all of it.

Then a couple of hours later he was hungry again so i made him some scrambled eggs with two eggs & some steamed veggies - he ate all of it!

By now i was ripping my hair out trying to find things to give him.

He was hungry again a bit late so i gave him a banana which he ate all of.

Then for dinner i was completely out of ideas & wasn't able to cook anything as he was screaming. It was 5pm & he had eaten an entire banana at just before 3pm & yet he was ravernous again.

So dinner he ended up having tinned tuna with pasta & steamed veggies. He ate a fair bit of it & then still had a reasonable breastfeed before he went to bed.

This has only started since we've night weaned.

I cant keep up!! How do you do it?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yoghurt, cheese, mini muffins, carrots sticks with dip, fruit, sultanas, pikelets, crackers and cheese, tasting plate, left overs, mini quiche

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Toddlers graze so it's normal to have 5 or 6 small meals a day, I usually had snacks on hand and meal planned weekly so I knew exactly what he would be eating , a few good instant snack ideas:

Boiled eggs - boil up a batch twice a week and keep them in the fridge

Rice cakes - plain brown rice cakes and put avocado or any nut butter on

Baby bel cheese - quick and easy and because of the wax cover they can be out of the fridge for an hour or two without going bad

Yogurt - five am organic yogurts have 70g pouches which they love at that age

Apples - whole apples are a brilliant snack as it takes them a while to eat it

Corn - corn on the cob keeps them occupied for ages - I used to give him that while making dinner

Antipasto plate - olives, feta cheese cubes, cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes, capsicum

I agree with not giving too much wheat every day and the easiest , healthiest breakfast lunch or dinner for me was an egg pancake - 2 eggs mixed with chopped herbs or baby spinach, tomato, chia seeds , cheese and mushrooms and fried in mini fry pan , cut into strips and they feed themselves , takes 2 mins and is full of iron, protein and vitamins!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids (both my non-fussy and my fussy eater) would have 5-6 meals plus 3 bottles of milk at that age.

Eg. 7am breakfast, 9am crackers, yogurt and fruit, 11.30 lunch, nap time, 2pm snack, 4pm snack and 6pm dinner. Some kids can't have a late snack or they won't eat dinner - but not my kids!

It's at about this stage, as a first time mum, that I understood why half the baby food aisle consists of toddler snacks!! They just eat all.the.time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I tried to feed my toddler these sorts of things: bbq chicken, grilled fish, or fish fingers, tuna mornay, homous and other dips eg yoghurt dip, meat balls of all varieties, mini fritatas (cooked in muffin tin)- Id cook in advance and freeze small bags of meatballs etc so I could access quickly. I found protein stuck with them much longer (eg meat, eggs, fish ).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the ideas!

Should I feed him every hour? Cause at the moment we have screaming after approx two hours. How on earth do i even have enough preprepared food to feed him every hour? We'll need a bigger fridge/freezer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Now hes eating & i cant keep up with how hungry he is!

So happy to hear that he is eating so well for you Heartstringz! Growth spurt maybe too? I think what you have been feeding him sounds great, variety is awesome, but don't get too worried if you have to give him the same thing for two meals in a row, he probably won't mind.
    I often give my DS something to eat quickly while I prepare something else, like some strawberries while I microwave his meatballs.
    I would aim for food maybe every 2 hours, unless he asks for it sooner.
    Last edited by LittleBug'sMum; 19-09-2015 at 10:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Could he be thirsty?

You don't mention water or fluids. DSS always seemed hungry, but quite often a bottle of water was enough for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes he has water with every meal plus whenever he wants it in between

10. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

DT75  (19-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And how do I make food for myself? Due to the screaming i just need to get food made for him as quickly as possible, i dont have time to make myself anything as well. So i eat a yoghurt or something if im lucky (but he always wants mine so i dont get to eat it anyway) & then eat properly when hes asleep. If he wont sleep like yesterday then i struggle to eat. Its like having a newborn again!