+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Possible dairy intolerance?

Hi everyone.

Just writing to see who has any experience with CMPI and whether or not you think it sounds like my son may have it. I'm sorry if the post is all over the place, I'm terribly sleep deprived so just writing things as I remember them.

From day 1 breastfed DS2 had been a more 'spewy' baby compared to his brother. His burps always seemed quite wet and on several occasions I said to my husband that perhaps he had a little bit of reflux (which I thought was normal to some extent with new bubbas) the spews didn't seem to worry him and he gained weight just fine. He has also been and still is now a very gassy, farty baby and his farts always smell absolutely terrible.

DS2 has always been quite wakeful, feeding 2 hourly day and night and only catnapping during the day. From quite early on he has had pretty bad eczema which seemed to flare up if he ever had a formula bottle when he was at home with his dad. We had seen the gp about this but he just prescribed some cream which did help between flare ups.

You could probably say my diet is high in dairy, a smoothie with yoghurt and milk most days, along with some cheese and even a glass of milk here and there.

Now DS2 is almost 6 months old and sleeping terribly at night. Last night for example his longest stretch of sleep (first stretch) was 2 hours and as the night went on he was waking sometimes only 20 mins after he'd settled back to sleep. When he wakes he seems quite uncomfortable and is quite gassy to doing several farts and also squirming a little and farting after I put him back down after a feed.

Could any of this be a sign of a dairy sensitivity? Or something else?

Thanks for any advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi my bubs has lactose intolerance but i have had it all my life as well so he definately has my genes. When we saw the Peadeatrician he said that the symptoms included excessive weight gain, explosive wet poos, nappy rash, bloating etc. As soon as we put him on lactose free formula and took the lactose out of his breast milk his symptoms did clear up. I got to say the doc did say lactose intolerance in babies is uncommon so it could be a temp thing. There is also lactose overload where breastmilk comes out too quickly and bubs guts cant cope with the amount of fast flowing milk. You cannget his stools tested if your worried and cut dairy out of your diet to see if things improve. Not sure inwas much help as my bubs is 3 months and is a serial catnapper despite the change in his food 😯

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I think @A-Squared has a couple of babies with CMPI, she might be able to help..

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like there is a possible intolerance of some sort there. Is he still breast feed? If so are you able to cut dairy out of your diet for 2 weeks and see if that makes a difference?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds exactly like my dd and she was CMPI. Eczema, reflux and excess farting are symptoms of it. I would eliminate dairy for a few weeks to test. You have to eliminate milk solids from any processed food you eat as well. I have to say though, it probably won't fix the cat napping. My DD had that as well and that was an entirely different problem to fix.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies!!

Yep he's still breastfed. I guess I just wanted to see if it was a possibility before I cut dairy, but right now I'm willing to try anything to see if he will settle.

Any tips for me when cutting dairy out? Anything I should be wary of that has hidden dairy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cut out dairy (and soy) 4 months ago as my daughter had suspected CMSPI. There's the obvious things to cut out - milk, butter, cream etc but I didn't know that some wines are made using milk products and when out I assume everything has dairy unless stated on the label (or I can confirm with the cafe/cook etc).

I've found most cafes supply almond milk (but all usually have soy so you can sub with that). You can still have dark chocolate - just check the label as some still have milk solids.

I found some good reference websites which I'll come back & link for you.

I noticed a difference within a week and had a completely different baby behaviour wise within 2-3 weeks.

Best wishes with it all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So for the last 24 hours I have taken a bit of a log of his sleep. With that and just thinking of his behavior these last few weeks it seems he is at his 'fussiest' about an hour after his feed. Would you think this is a telltale sign of CMPI? During the day we have been interpreting this fussiness as tiredness and trying to put him down for a nap which turns into a huge struggle. Maybe he isn't tired but feeling really uncomfortable?

I'm definitely going to cut dairy and see how we go. But in the meantime should I try and feed less overnight? Because he's so wakeful I've been feeding him every 2 hours overnight.

I also just wonder why it seems it has gotten worse since about 4 months old? Did anyone else find their bubs only seem to get worse as they got older?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes being fussy after a feed can be a sign. Mine would be screaming the house down about an hour after a feed. Also he definitely got worse as he got older.
    Inregards to cutting out dairy other than the obvious I found it just came down to reading the labels of EVERYTHING. So many things you wouldn't think would have dairy in them do i.e potato chips (milk solids in flavouring). Also be aware ot takes up to 4 days for the dairy to completly leave bubs system so make sure you stick it out for a good week atleast.
    Also know some bubs are also sensitive to soy so if you can go dairy and soy free to start with and then introduce soy later on if you wish.
    I probably wouldn't try to drop the night feeds just yet as he is probably using that as comfort atm, hopefully the frequency will drop off as he starts to feel better.
    Goodluck and keep us updated with how you go.

Thanks
    Reviews

Just thought I'd give you all an update

We went dairy free for about 6 days when without thinking hubby gave bub some cream cheese on toast. He ate it an didn't seem to react at all. So I've introduced dairy back into my diet and slowly into bubs with no reactions.

However it seems he is reacting to eggs. I noticed the other day he was a bit red around his mouth after eating some veggie pancake but I thought maybe he's just scratched himself while shoveling food into his mouth, but just now he had some more of the pancake and this is what happened. Excuse the back pics, the little man wanted the phone.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1443420878.233196.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1443420891.781653.jpg

The physical rash of his eczema is being managed ok with some cream the doctor prescribed but the poor little thing is just so itchy all the time. As soon as you take his clothes off he always scratching his chest and tummy, even as I type this he is upset and scratching at his chin where it was red after having egg.

Have any other mummies had experience with an egg allergy?

ETA I'm calling the docs now to make an appointment with the GP ASAP