+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting on a schedule. Maintaining Sanity

I have a 5 week old and have heard a lot of different things in getting the little squish on a schedule. Does anyone do or have started a schedule this young? He either sleeps all day or will be awake all the time and either way fights it at night. He will then wake up in the middle of the night and be up for like two hours and cry if you put him down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Getting on a schedule. Maintaining Sanity

I think at 5 weeks it's a matter of just doing what you're probably already doing.. Keeping things loud and bright during the day, keeping it as dark as possible when he wakes at night, don't interact with him at his night feeds. I bath my boy at about the same time each evening. Try and persist with day sleeps but maybe wake him if he sleeps too long between feeds. My breastfed boy is 10 weeks and is kind of just starting to find a rhythm, there's probably more chance of predictability if your bottle feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Way too early. If you want more sleep at night, you can try to keep him up more during the day. Wake him for feeds every 2 hours. Also, try to give him a good feed before bed time, this could get you a 4-5 hour stretch.

I say this with a 6 week old in my arms who has been up since 3 (it's 5) and won't settle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
    I think at 5 weeks it's a matter of just doing what you're probably already doing.. Keeping things loud and bright during the day, keeping it as dark as possible when he wakes at night, don't interact with him at his night feeds. I bath my boy at about the same time each evening. Try and persist with day sleeps but maybe wake him if he sleeps too long between feeds. My breastfed boy is 10 weeks and is kind of just starting to find a rhythm, there's probably more chance of predictability if your bottle feeding.
    This is excellent advice. To be honest my girls really only established a schedule at 4-6 months.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
    This ^^

You can start adding little routines if you like. By routine I mean more so a ritual. At about 2-3 months we started a bath feed bed ritual to the evenings...not at a set time, just whenever was appropriate for my ds. Often at this age this meant we did this at 9-10pm as ds wouldn't settle for the night until 10pm or after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends what you mean by a schedule.
    If you just mean mostly sleeping at night and most awake time during the day, then I think PPs have given great advice. Calm, dark, minimal interaction at night. Feed/change and straight into settling... loud and bright during the day. It can take a while, but he'll get there.
    If you mean a routine where you can plan/predict times and lengths of feeds and naps, then it's probably a bit early. You could try, but at that age it's more likely to cause you stress that it isn't working.
    As for maintaining sanity...do what you can, sleep when you can, and remind yourself that it won't last! It's hard at the time, but it'll pass.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my first and second babies fell into a routine quite easily at around 5 months. I have found that my LO just wasn't responding to any kind of routine I was trying to put in place. Now she is almost 8 months and she has got herself into a routine on her own. She now settles quite easily and is beginning to settle herself during the night, although she still needs help. All babies are different. I think 5 weeks is a little early. Your LO will go through lots of growth spurts and so her sleeping and routines will all change with each one. Just try to be patient.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbasmum For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (19-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    From day 1 with my 3 I made sure there was some noise when they were sleeping, ensured they weren't up for too long. They just fell into the routine with the consistency by 4 to 5ish months. I think at 5 weeks it is a bit early to be sticking to a really strict routine, you will only stress yourself out. My big tip though is to not try to keep bub up more during the day to hope they sleep better at night, overtired bubs are more difficult to settle.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 19-09-2015 at 21:03.