+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default I love my new house and garden BUT...

OMG. The spiders.

Just pulled a load of washing out. Found some legs at the bottom of the machine.
    Hanging it up and found the rest of him. A bloody funnel web.

Had another funnel web 3 weeks ago walking casually across the laundry floor.

Adding to this, FOUR redbacks decided to make a NEST- egg sacks and all- under dd's water play table. Where she sticks her fingers.

Plus an assortment of gross wolf type spiders and other creepy ones hiding in various spots throughout the house, like under the dogs water bowl and went to pick it up.

Plus this THING on my fly screen door- what the hell is that one?!? It was quite big before I sprayed it.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1442540865.091707.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1442540879.798114.jpg

I just hate spiders, they terrify me, and they are EVERYWHERE now the weather's getting warmer. I'm too scared to be barefoot at night .....

I have the heebee geebees big time, specially after that funnel web in my washing this morning!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yuuuuk... I'd get the place sprayed. It costs a bit but we had ours done before we moved in to our rental and had no creepy crawlies for a good year. Worth it IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh man, I'm so scared of spiders!

I can't believe a funnel web was in your house I would be beside myself.

I would totally get the place sprayed.

That spider you killed looks like a huntsman to me. Harmless, but hell to the no would I want one in my house

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would get the house sprayed without a doubt. Ewwwwwww!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We spray our own place. You can buy the stuff from Bunnings or even bigW etc. probably doesn't work as good as the professional stuff but we just spray every month or two in summer.

I do like that we don't get funnel webs in WA. I'm not overly terrified of spiders as it would hurt but on the whole you'd usually be ok (as I say we don't get funnel webs in WA). Snakes however... And we get tigers and brown snakes on our property. They give me the creeps!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (18-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah that looks like huntsman to me, wouldn't worry about that but I would freak right out if I saw a funnel web. In the house???? What did you do? Where do you live?? I'm in Sydney (sutherland shire) never seen a funnel web they are the only things I am actually scared of especially after ds was watching the deadly 60 show and they had footage of one and talked about them coming into the house and hiding in shoes!!! ds has been scared ever since. We don't spray but I think I would if I actually saw a FW.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I love my new house and garden BUT...

I know what the usual huntsmen look like and it was slightly different but maybe it's a wood/outdoorsy type one?

As for the funnel web on the floor- I actually keep a can of spray in every room so dumped a can on it, waited till I was sure he was dead and got the dustbuster to catch it. I was shaking so much but had to be brave for dd's sake. It was after several days of heavy rain so assumed it was a once off

I want to get professionals in but DH thinks I'm a big wuss, but he's never home to deal with it! He's promised to spray indoors but still hasn't a month later (I would but I'm 35 weeks preggars and worry about stinking out the house with a toddler and dog at home with me).

Eta: shani2 I'd rather a spider than a snake any day.... OMG that's too scary to even comprehend.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 18-09-2015 at 12:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I was shaking so much but had to be brave for dd's sake. It was after several days of heavy rain so assumed it was a once off
    That would be me - I'm a mega wuss, but if it's a threat to DS I instantly get brave and take care of that shiz!

We occasionally get those white tail spiders that rot your flesh if they bite you - I spray them and then suck them up using my Dyson stick vac.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1442544054.139932.jpg

When you say new house, do you mean newly built? Building stirs everything up and the spiders can be bad. I would call someone and get it done too. I hate spiders!

I'm also in WA and agree I'm glad we don't have fun ell webs here, but snakes worry me a lot. We live on property so I know they are out there, I just hope they stay out of the garden and house area!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (18-09-2015),HollyGolightly81  (18-09-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (18-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is be ringing around to get quotes on getting the house sprayed inside & out.
    For peace of mind once bub comes too