+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Weaning off dummy

So when I had ds1 I thought the dummy was the best invention ever as he was a very sucky baby who would latch on for 12 hours straight overnight as he just needed to constantly suck. Giving the dummy meant I could continue breastfeeding and I found it a great aid to calm him down in many situations.
    When ds2 was born I had no hesitation using the dummy again and initially he wasn't too fussed about it but when he got bad colic it really helped to calm him down at times when he was crying. Now he's pretty attached to it and I'm starting to see the downfall of it especially with regards to sleeping. It's started to become a sleeping aid and when he wakes up without it he gets upset and frantic and I have to put it back in. I'm trying to start getting him to self settle and it's going well but it does involve using the dummy.
    He's now 12 weeks and I know I'm not strong enough to just wean him off it slowly as I end up giving in as soon as he gets upset and I know the dummy will calm him down. So the only way I think I can get him off it is to go cold turkey but I'm terrified of doing this.
    Has anyone taken dummy away at this age? If so how and how long did it take for things to improve as I imagine it's pretty horrendous at the beginning?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    So when I had ds1 I thought the dummy was the best invention ever as he was a very sucky baby who would latch on for 12 hours straight overnight as he just needed to constantly suck. Giving the dummy meant I could continue breastfeeding and I found it a great aid to calm him down in many situations.
    When ds2 was born I had no hesitation using the dummy again and initially he wasn't too fussed about it but when he got bad colic it really helped to calm him down at times when he was crying. Now he's pretty attached to it and I'm starting to see the downfall of it especially with regards to sleeping. It's started to become a sleeping aid and when he wakes up without it he gets upset and frantic and I have to put it back in. I'm trying to start getting him to self settle and it's going well but it does involve using the dummy.
    He's now 12 weeks and I know I'm not strong enough to just wean him off it slowly as I end up giving in as soon as he gets upset and I know the dummy will calm him down. So the only way I think I can get him off it is to go cold turkey but I'm terrified of doing this.
    Has anyone taken dummy away at this age? If so how and how long did it take for things to improve as I imagine it's pretty horrendous at the beginning?!
    It's easier now. Take it away cold turkey and adjust his sleep and calming without it. At age 2-3 it's so hard. I had to cut the end and say the fairies took it and put it in the bin 😏 others might say other ways but my daughter was obsessed I couldn't even talk or give her food

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    It's easier now. Take it away cold turkey and adjust his sleep and calming without it. At age 2-3 it's so hard. I had to cut the end and say the fairies took it and put it in the bin 😏 others might say other ways but my daughter was obsessed I couldn't even talk or give her food
    My ds1 is nearly 2 and still has his dummy but it doesn't bother me too much as he sleeps brilliantly as he can find the dummy himself and at the moment he's started the horrid tantrums. My plan was to wait until he can understand a bit more and we take it away but I know it will be hard.
    I'm just more worried about ds2 getting into bad sleep habits but I just can't imagine taking it away and letting him scream when I know giving it to him will calm him. I guess they find other ways of calming down, it's just going to be tough for a while. I just wondered if anyone had done it and how long it took for baby to adjust.