+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Hiring a nanny.

So DH and I are going to be looking for a nanny for DD 3.5 and DS almost 1, for 2 days a week.

We have NO clue where to start. Even once we have someone, we have no idea what we can expect from a nanny.

Eg do they have their own car with child seats in it or do you leave them your own car or do they just stay at home with the kids and walk them.
    Do they make lunches and snacks etc or do we have to have that done already?

Also do we get any rebates like the CCR or is that only for child care centres and family day care?

Are agencies better or an ad in the paper? How much can we expect to pay? A per day / per hour fee?

I'm thinking of going through an agency just in case the nanny is sick so there's a back up plan perhaps.

We really are just very clueless so any advice about what to do and how it all works would be much appreciated.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing out of interest.

I know someone that uses a nanny - all I know is that they have provided her a car and car seats as she needs to do kindy drop off with another bub, I don't think this is the norm though as my cousin nannied for a while and she used her own car seats and car.

As far as I know at the moment CCR is only for day care centres/FDC, not privately hired nannies (otherwise I think the demand would be higher).

I'd like to know more too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    ASquared, I was totally clueless about this too, until I started looking into it recently. I will try to share what I have found, but hopefully someone else will come along with more insight too...

Eg do they have their own car with child seats in it or do you leave them your own car or do they just stay at home with the kids walk them.
    - A friend of mine had a nanny who had her own car and car seats and used to drive the kids to play dates/ swimming lessons etc. But I think this depends on the Nanny and what you feel comfortable with.

Do they make lunches and snacks etc or do we have to have that done already?
    I think my friend's Nanny did this for the kids, just have to have a well stocked pantry.

Also do we get any rebates like the CCR or is that only for child care centres and family day care?
    I don't think so, but apparently the government was talking about a Nanny trial starting next year to trial some sort of rebate - I have found it difficult to find any info on this though.

Are agencies better or an ad in the paper? How much can we expect to pay? A per day / per hour fee?
    My friend used an agency to find the nanny - we need a nanny or something like this. But lots of the agencies just put you in contact with the nanny for a fee, they don't sort out contracts/ how much you pay/replacement nanny etc (although there must be some that do). My friends nanny was $25/ hr a few years ago, she was awesome, very experienced, older lady. I think maybe it ranges from about $20-25 /hr. But you also need to pay superannuation, sick leave, annual leave I think.

All sounded a bit too complicated for me, so I've still got my fingers crossed for a place in childcare next year.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I've employed nannies since DD1 was 1yo. I've had 6 in total. All very different. I've had my current nanny for just over a year.

My first I found through the findababysitter service. I've always had good nannies through that website. I have used a nanny service but they just found me one ( at a huge fee). There was back up provided if she fell sick.

A nanny will pretty much do or not do whatever you ask (within reason). Currently my nanny has my 2yo three days a week and my 4yo son on one of those days.

We provide a car and she takes them to activities, the park, swimming, and does a school pickup as well. She does all meal preps for them too.

My last nanny didn't do all the food but did a lot of creative play and craft after school. That was lovely for them but I needed someone more practical. She also hangs out the washing and, puts it away.

We live in the burbs so providing a car is essential. There simply isn't enough for her to do within walking distance. It also gets really hot here so walking isn't always practical. However she's in her 30s and I trust her implicitly. When we lived in Melbourne our nannies tended to be young uni students. They didn't drive the kids as we lived in the inner city and it wasn't necessary.

I pay $26 an hour. That's at the higher end but my nanny is a qualified teacher and I want someone who takes the job seriously. I've found when I paid less the nanny was a bit less professional. She also has 4 kids over the school holidays which I think deserves a bit extra.

I take tax out and have to lodge quarterly statements with the ATO

She also gets sick and annual leave.

Can't think of anything else. Just put everything on the table and assume nothing. I leave copious routine notes at the beginning and ask them to keep a diary for the first few months. That gives me some comfort while we're all getting to know each other.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (17-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hiring a nanny.

My girlfriend found people on findababysitter.com and interviewed 20ish candidates.

They found a girl who has worked for them 3 days a week for the past year and they are very happy with her.

If you have the room at home, could also consider an au pair. They are much less expensive but live with you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    I'm not keen on an au pair especially as we will only need a nanny for 2 days a week but I'll check out that site. Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I'm having a look through that site now and there's a lot of 18-22ish year olds whose experience is caring for younger brothers and sisters.

What are people's thoughts on that? I think I want someone older than that probably 40s + someone with kids maybe?

What do people generally look for? I know it can be quite individual but I'm really not sure how to start narrowing down what we are after, other than availability on the days I want.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I'm having a look through that site now and there's a lot of 18-22ish year olds whose experience is caring for younger brothers and sisters.

What are people's thoughts on that? I think I want someone older than that probably 40s + someone with kids maybe?

What do people generally look for? I know it can be quite individual but I'm really not sure how to start narrowing down what we are after, other than availability on the days I want.
    I was a nanny at that age and started out with only that sort of experience. IMO, a younger nanny could be awesome if you get someone sensible. Thinking of myself then and now, I would have to admit I am now as a mother far more rigid about how I will and won't discipline a child, what *i* think is important for their upbringing and well being, etc. I am far more opinionated, whereas as a young nanny I just did as I was told and had lots of fun with the kids I also think I would personally prefer someone younger as a) they are more likely to have more energy to play raucous games and b) I would feel much more comfortable telling a 20 year old what to do than a 40 year old.
    That's just my personal thoughts though, lots of people do prefer an older more experienced person.

I really do think that the most important thing you're looking for is the instinct that tells you 'yes, she's the right one'. You want to get along with them and above all trust them. Not only are you trusting them with your kids but she will get to know a LOT about your life by being in your house all day. One of my employers told me that one of the main reasons she picked me is that she could see my book poking out of my bag, and she was currently reading the same one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post

I was also a nanny at that age for 2 different families. A 10 month old and a 2.5 year old. I couldn't drive but was trusted to take them out via public transport, it got a bit repetitive staying at home all the time so we met up with other kids for play dates or I'd go to the shop and run my errands etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Personally I have had a mix of both and prefer younger nannies. I had a woman in her 50s who had had 5 children and she was amazing in so many ways but I was incredibly reluctant to get her to do things my way. She had raised 5 kids to adulthood and was pretty set in her ways. In the end I felt as if I was walking on egg shells at times.

As we have no family around us our nannies become part of the family. The kids grow to love them and sometimes see them as big sisters. It's a great relationship. My current nanny is in her 30s and is great too but has kids of her own and if they get sick she has to care for them so can't work. It's a total PITA as am a contractor so I don't have leave entitlements.