+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Child giving away toys at school

Last edited by BubbleGuts; 02-09-2016 at 13:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't ask for them back and dont replace them. Maybe she'll get upset when she realises whst she's done and be more careful next time. Its a really nice thought though :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

BubbleGuts  (17-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How does your DD feel about it? Do you think she wants or expects you to replace them?

I would be pretty upset if my DS did that, but I wouldn't want to get involved in trying to recover the toys either.

I would let her experience the natural consequences of her actions and have a stern chat about giving things away without discussing it with her parents first.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

BubbleGuts  (17-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd let it go. I don't spend that much money on toys for this exact reason, but it sounds like her heart was in the right place and I couldn't be mad at her for that.

If she comes to you later expecting a replacement or asks you to get them back, take advantage of your teachable moment then

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Belle201 For This Useful Post:

BubbleGuts  (17-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm my prep has done this at times and I've had to talk to his teacher. He brings in toys for show and tell but afterwards they are to stay in the teachers locked cupboard.
    My son has came home with toys too and insits his friends gave it to him but I always give the stuff back to the teacher and explain what he told me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DrDrakeRamoray For This Useful Post:

BubbleGuts  (17-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What a thoughtful dd you have! Sounds like something my dd would do.
    I would explain to her that although it was a nice thing to do next time she should talk to you first.
    Also explain that the toys she gave away will not be replaced, if she wants them replaced she will have to work hard for new ones (i do a month long sticker/job chart that she completes to earn a new toy)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

BubbleGuts  (17-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How sweet of her. I agree with others don't bother following up on getting them back. Let DD learn the lesson that giving is good, but you need to ensure you have enough and not expect to have the items replaced.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

BubbleGuts  (17-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 who is also 8 does a very similar thing but I find it comes around too! She will come home with brand new fancy stationary that her friends have given her or jewelry and hand accessories. I go to Kmart and buy some cheapie stuff to swap around with her friends now so it's not expensive things.
    I would point out that her toys were expensive and as much as she was being a great friend she needs to be more sensible with what she would like to 'share' with her friends.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

BubbleGuts  (17-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What would I do?

I would let it go, I would tell her I was proud of her for being so generous with her friends, however she doesn't need to take any more things to School now.

One of my daughters is forever taking little knick knacks/toys to School for her friends, she has done this since Preschool and no amount of 'chats' from us dissuades her, so now we leave her be. And to be honest, at 8 years old, it seems to be the done thing, as I have noticed she has been bringing home little things from her friends doing the same and it hasn't always been the case.

If you're really feeling strongly about it OP, maybe a chat to her Teacher so that the Teacher can give a little reminder about bringing toys to School etc.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (17-09-2015),BubbleGuts  (17-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all! I will let it go and let her suffer the natural consequences and use it as a learning experience for her. She has such a kind heart, I don't want that to change.
    Thanks again 😀