+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Completely understand that you're not comfortable with either! I didn't sleep while DS slept on me - but I knew if he slept then the next day would be easier than if he didn't. I wasn't going to sleep while he was crying all night, anyway. I didn't know he wouldn't sleep in the cot since he had previously without issue. We co-slept only because we were away for 4 days and I just couldn't handle not sleeping for that long. I can't nap through the day, so it was that or nothing.

My DS is a terrible sleeper, so if he refuses to nap the first time I put him down (which isn't often these days), I get him up after 40 min and try again later on. You could try that if you really want to teach him to nap in the cot and aren't too concerned with whether he has a sleep at the right time.
    @wobbleyhorse has a good point. It could work somewhere else. Does he sleep in the pram when you are out at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    He only very occasionally sleeps in the pram. He wont sleep in the portacot at my parents on the inlaws place.

Im crossing my fingers that he'll be so tired when we are away that he will just crash in the portacot

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Getting him to sleep in the portacot

Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    You may find that when the cots set up in the hotel (ie. Not at home) he will sleep in it. My DS never slept in the portacot at home but when it was set up at mums or at a friends place and it was nighttime/ he had his sleeping bag on etc he slept in it.

Best wishes!
    This. I personally wouldn't bother trying to make it work at home, he'll just be overtired for the next sleep creating a knock on effect for you. I'm sure he'll sleep once it's in a different environment, he's proved he can in childcare.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 17-09-2015 at 16:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ive never actually tried or thought to prepare my babies for travel cot sleeping.
    Just took the cot away with us and put them in it at sleep time.

The only time i ever had an issue was with DD2 when she was almost 2 she just climbed out all the time - she was very tall so did it easily.

DS (2.5) is on his 5th night in a row sleeping in the travel cot as we are on holidays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Could you hire a proper cot while you are away - lots of places have hire for baby businesses

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids are great sleepers, but horrible in the portacot. They hate it. These are my suggestions of what has worked for us -

- put DS to sleep on a mattress or similar on the floor. My kids have both slept on those little fold out lounges, or even a bassinet/moses basket put on the floor (My kids fit in a moses basket type bed until around 18 months). Then you can lay next to DS/ rock him to settle (bassinets are so easy because you can rock the whole bed) & when he is asleep, get up & sleep in your own bed.
    - Sit up in a chair or in bed & doze with them on you. I know you said you aren't comfortable with this & I totally get it, I never bed shared with babies, but when they were older (18months+), I found myself much more comfortable bed sharing with them. You might find yourself more comfortable with the idea the older he gets & more able to move around etc?
    - Put DS in the car (if you have one?) & drive around until he is asleep in the car seat, & then recline the front seat & sleep in the car.

These are all things we have done at one time or another on holidays. We have also taken turns with being awake with a child - usually I am heaps better than DH on little sleep, so he will sleep most of the night, from say 11pm-4.30am, and I will stay up with the baby. Then I will wake him up, he will stay up from 4.30am, & I will sleep from 4.30-7 or 7.30.

Personally, I haven't found holidays with my kids particularly restful. They don't always sleep great when they are away from home. I think you just have to expect to get no sleep at all, and then any sleep you do get is a bonus! It's all about perspective, lol. Two nights with hardly any sleep is manageable, I think. I always find that when I've only had an hour or two of sleep, when I get up in the morning & have a shower & get out and about, I shake of the tiredness & barely even realise I am sleep deprived. Hopefully he will sleep well, but expect him not to so that you don't get disappointed, & try to shake it off & enjoy yourself anyway!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-09-2015)