+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Getting him to sleep in the portacot

Help!!!

Im currently trying to get ds down for a nap in the portacot in preparation for a trip away soon. He currently refuses to sleep anywhere but his cot at home & the cot at daycare.

The portacot wont fit in his room so its in another room but ive got his normal white noise machine & light machine going, hes in his normal sleeping bag & he has his normal comfort toys.

So far he is running around the portacot playing & being stupid. I dont think he understands that he is meant to be going to sleep, even with all the normal sleep cues.

Any tips for how i can get him down???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No help. My two never ever slept in the portacot. They hated it. We gave up pretty quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS usually takes 2-3 nights to adjust to sleeping in his portacot when we go away so it may just take a few attempts for him to get used to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rose&Aurelia i have no choice as we are going on an interstate trip soon & staying in a hotel etc for a wedding. If he wont sleep in the portacot then ill be sitting up all night holding him which id prefer not to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got the same problem. Except he has slept in his portacot previously, and now won't. Our last trip away I ended up with him sleeping on me the first night (no sleep for me that night). The next 2 nights we ended up co-sleeping after I rearranged everything else. We even struggled with that. Could you maybe lie down next to the portacot and pretend to be asleep???
    If you end up making it work, please let me know how!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yea I understand that frustration. We bedshare in those circumstances now. I understand that's not everyones cup of tea.

If it's only for 1-2 nights can you and your dh take turns cuddling him to sleep?

My kids sleep on me when they are sick so I know what it's like to have a sleeping child on you all night. I usually plonk myself on the couch and get comfy enough to doze off intermittently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im currently lying on the bed next to the portacot with my back to him - 'asleep' as far as he is concerned. Hes still being silly.

Dh & i can take turns but he wont transfer, never has, so one of us will have to sit up all night & hold him. Thus ruining the next day as one of us has had no sleep whatsoever. This is the first holiday we will have had since ds was born.

And it will probably end up being me anyway as when dh doesnt sleep he usually ends up with a full blown migraine the next day.

Im not comfortable with bedsharing or dozing while he is asleep on me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You may find that when the cots set up in the hotel (ie. Not at home) he will sleep in it. My DS never slept in the portacot at home but when it was set up at mums or at a friends place and it was nighttime/ he had his sleeping bag on etc he slept in it.

Best wishes!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (17-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids would never sleep in a port a cot at home when i tried this. But when we were in a different environment they would go down fine, i would take the sheet already on their cot at home with me any comforters they sleep with and a bottle of milk
    Hopefully this will be the same for you

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (17-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just continue to pretend to be asleep and ignore him, that's what I do with Dd sometimes. I face the other way and she still mucks around and then it all goes silent and she's out like a light and then I can take a nap too haha.