+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default At home activities for 14 month old

Any ideas for at home activities to do with a 14 month old?

I spend two days a week at home with him when dh is at work as im still learning to drive, so we dont really go out on those days. im running out of ways to keep him entertained now that hes more active.

This weekend hubby is out at a sporting comp all day one day so ds & i will have 3 consecutive days at home. So im after ideas!!

We play with his toys, read books, play in the backyard when we can, go for walks, play with tupperware, pots & pans etc, he helps me with housework

What else can we do? There are no suitable parks within walking distance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Painting, theres a great page on fb that has some really good ideas. Lots of texture play all sorts of fun things

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DizzyDaisy For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What kind of things are textured play?

What paints would you recommend? He puts everything in his mouth. And throws things like dishes, brushes etc so it will need to be easy to clean off the tiles/walls or the concrete outside

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Water play is always great - he could "paint" the concrete/outside walls with water, help him poor water into different cups.
    Honestly though, it sounds like you're doing a great job interacting together!
    The only thing I'd suggest, and I know you aren't mobile but depending on what is in walking distance or bus/train, I'd suggest playgroup, library for story time - just get out of the house and see some different faces.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im working on playgroup, really keen to join one but its on the other side of the suburb & the buses are a pita, working up to driving there currently. Ive made good progress with driving recently.

Story time at our library goes by age groups & ds's age group runs on a day when im at work/hes at daycare. If i ever get comfortable driving further than just around our suburb, im keen to take him to kindyroo or a toddler music thing i saw.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Pasta necklaces, water painting (fences/walls/concrete), play dates, just casual walks, build a cubby inside with sheets, dancing to music

My kids were usually happy just to potter around with me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    - An obstacle course with lots of climbing over cushions, tunnels, over chairs, etc.
    - Rolling/throwing balls outside (or we used to use socks inside and try to throw into the laundry basket).
    - Digging and playing in the dirt
    - Sticky contact (the kind you cover books with) taped sticky side up on the table so he can stick bits and pieces to it (e.g. pieces of material, sticks or leaves you've collected on your walk).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm so stoked to hear that the driving is coming along! I was a completely phobic driver and only got my drivers licence when my oldest was four - and I lived on a farm!

Another good thing is indoor tents and cushions just a sheet and a couple of chairs and they love exploring, playing peekaboo. Cardboard boxes are always a hit too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well done on the driving! (I don't drive at all, I hate the thought!)
    And I agree that it sounds like you're already doing quite well.
    Second misskitty's box suggestion, save your empty nappy boxes, wipes boxes, tissues boxes and stack them, climb in them, put things in them...
    For an interesting edible sensory thing, I sometimes buy cheap yogurt and just let him go nuts, feeding himself and playing in it (naked/just in a nappy and straight in the bath afterwards)
    Singing and dancing. Let him pull all the clothes out of a drawer and throw them around, my DS loves having clothes thrown at him and on top of him for some reason (toddlers are weird!). Stack all of your pillows and cushions into a mountain to scale. Blow bubbles.

Oh and you know that comedy bit where you stand behind a bench and pretend to be walking down stairs/going down an elevator/etc, my 14 month old thinks it's hilarious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    What kind of things are textured play?

What paints would you recommend? He puts everything in his mouth. And throws things like dishes, brushes etc so it will need to be easy to clean off the tiles/walls or the concrete outside
    "Toddler Play At Home" is the page on fb they have heaps of great idea for texture play.