+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sports bra recommendation when feeding

Hi, I'm not sure if I have this posted in the right area or not but I couldn't find any others.

I'm just wanting some advice from some mums who do fairly high impact exercise & are still breast feeding their baby.

I have an 11 week old daughter & have been given the all clear for a while to get back into exercise. I have been doing a mums n bubs fitness class for the last 5 weeks but I really want to get back into jogging.

I have bought a maternity sports bra but I still feel so much bounce when I move around! I've been also wearing a crop too over it for extra support but don't want to start running & do damage.

Does anyone know is it ok to wear an underwire (high impact) normal sports bra for about an hour each day? I've read that underwire is a no no when feeding bub but I need to sort something out. I love feeding dd so probably won't be stopping anytime soon but I don't want to delay getting fit again.

If I wear underwire will I cause blocked ducts? I have had mastitis already & I don't want it to come back.

Any advice from anyone would be much appreciated & thank-you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a D cup & find lorna jane crop tops very supportive for running. I had the same problem maternity sports bras not supportive enough.
    I never risked underwire while feeding as I was paranoid about mastitis (never got it in 15 months of feeding but probably just lucky).
    Also a Berlei wire free sports bra I got from Myer was great.
    Apparently running bare do a good maternity sports bra? I just ended up wearing the regular ones mentioned above & feeding before I got in my running gear. It gets easier once Bub doesn't feed as often!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Check out Cadenandshae - they are a New Zealand company and do great nursing sportswear. From memory they do a wide range of sizes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is it absolutely essential that you need to feed while wearing the bra? Assuming you're not running for hours on end?

I used to wear all my sports gear with a regular breastfeeding singlet to gym, feed DS, then put him in the crèche and I would quickly change into a crop top sports bra for my workout. And change again after, usually took the opportunity for an uninterrupted shower before I picked him up!

I found for both pregnancy and breastfeeding 2 x crop top style bras were best, enough support for running but no wires. Can get funky and creative with different colours and styles layered if you want. Target has some good cheap ones.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps for the suggestions, I really appreciate it There's not much in the way of sports bras to wear when feeding that are made for high impact exercise. Will probably look into suggestions of crop tops over top.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Is it absolutely essential that you need to feed while wearing the bra? Assuming you're not running for hours on end?

I used to wear all my sports gear with a regular breastfeeding singlet to gym, feed DS, then put him in the crèche and I would quickly change into a crop top sports bra for my workout. And change again after, usually took the opportunity for an uninterrupted shower before I picked him up!

I found for both pregnancy and breastfeeding 2 x crop top style bras were best, enough support for running but no wires. Can get funky and creative with different colours and styles layered if you want. Target has some good cheap ones.
    Nah, I'm not wanting to feed while exercising but was just after maternity ones because they don't have the underwire in them. All the ones with no underwire seem like there's not much support & was wondering if there was a good brand out there made for higher impact exercise such as running. Last time I went for a jog I had maternity sports bra, crop top over but it just felt like I had no support where I needed it. Might look into a different brand crop top

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Good plan. I wouldn't go spending a fortune as you will most likely find your breasts will shrink over the next few months... And then you'll need a smaller size. So annoying all this body shape changing 😂

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wear normal sports bras when exercising post baby. I too prefer/need the support. The reasoning behind no underwire is to avoid mastitis.

As I don't usually get that I don't worry.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I wear normal sports bras when exercising post baby. I too prefer/need the support. The reasoning behind no underwire is to avoid mastitis.

As I don't usually get that I don't worry.
    Same here