+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Visa debit skimmed - anyone experienced this?

If the transactions are pending, can't the bank just cancel them? I'd be pushing it with them as that doesn't sound right to me.

I agree too to change banks. I can recommend Commonwealth. We went OS a few years ago and the morning after we arrived, went to get cast from an ATM and then fuel for the car. Hubby got the cash and was filling up when I got a phone call asking if we were OS as they had noticed a charge that was unusual. It would have been within 10 minutes of us withdrawing the funds! So I was very happy they checked with us so fast and feel comfortable they have checks in place for these things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    If the transactions are pending, can't the bank just cancel them? I'd be pushing it with them as that doesn't sound right to me.
    You would think so, but they are unable to (I've had this confirmed by two different operators).

Considering I have identified one of the stores that the thief used to buy goods at, do you think I should contact them directly to report it? Keeping in mind, it's a gun store in the USA.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    This is the situation I was talking about before- the affected customer (family member of a FB friend) wrote this on ING's FB wall

URGENT - Dear ING Direct and to my friends and family that are with them currently as a bank. I am beyond outraged and devastated that you have allowed our savings account to be emptied and our money stolen this morning by an unknown fraudulent party. Or should I say thank you for leaving us with 87 cents. As surely this is enough to pay our bills and live on and buy food. After accessing an ATM to withdraw money last night, shortly after this morning at 4:47am a random transaction for $0 occurred. Surprisingly enough this did not flag on your system. Following this a 30 further transactions occurred a period of 31 minutes to drain our entire savings account of thousands of dollars to 87 cents. And yet THIS also did not flag on your system or get any of your attention. How did this happen. Where is your security. Where is the safety and customer service? When we called you today immediately after we noticed this and spoke to a manager we were advised that we had to complete a form and that it may take up to 75 days to get our stolen money back and yang even then there was no guarantee. We were then told to access our joint savings account and transfer money from this. This account gets interest and is not supposed to be touched. We lose out on interest now and were told that you would not refund or fix that either. We also confirmed that all these transactions are still pending as all occurred in the early hours of this morning and yet you could not cancel them, contact the vendor and do something about it until it's too late. How can a bank that was made aware of money being stolen and in process do nothing as the card team is not in on the weekends and as he transactions are occurring in America. Well I can assure you I am currently in Australia. So we have to have our entire savings stolen before you can do something not whilst it is being taken? Is this a joke? What if we had a family to feed and or no family or friends to assist or savings financially would you then care to take immediate action? This is disgusting, had been beyond stressful and frustrating. Here my husband and I sit hungry with no savings to even buy food because our bank with the great reputation and customer service allowed all our savings to be stolen, would not action whilst they could do something and have not helped us. Did I mention that we are going on our honeymoon in 5 weeks? With what money? We expect some action and real customer service immediately. Friend and family please read this and consider your options. Needless to say once we get our money back, which I am still trying to be optimistic that you will change our minds about you we will need to reconsider our bank and ire everyone reading this to learn from our experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Eeep @Mod-Nomsie, sounds awfully familiar to my situation.

Might have to switch to a bank. I want minimal fees though! I don't even need a debit card, it's just what you get given when you get an everyday ING account.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Eeep @Mod-Nomsie, sounds awfully familiar to my situation.

Might have to switch to a bank. I want minimal fees though! I don't even need a debit card, it's just what you get given when you get an everyday ING account.
    I have just opened up an account with {a big 4 bank}. They have a LONG list of businesses they do fee-free accounts for. Eg, because I work for the department of education, I pay no fees on any accounts. You may find something similar to that.
    Shop around- I'm sure there will be at least one bank willing to help you out. I also have my everyday account with the {edited for privacy}, but I think they're a lot rarer around your area. However, I've never been able to fault them, and when my paypal was hacked they couldn't have been more helpful.
    Last edited by Mod-Nomsie; 16-09-2015 at 16:47.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My bank of Melbourne credit card was fraudulently used.
    I lodged a dispute with my bank and it took about 2 weeks to get the money back.
    But in the mean time they cancelled the card so it couldn't continue to be used.
    The bank was able to get the money back directly from the store (weird s3x shop in Sydney) because the billing address and the delivery address weren't the same or something like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would point out this info to ING

http://www.visa.com.au/personal/secu...iability.shtml

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to work for a local building society in Newcastle. This was a regular occurrence but fortunately our systems often caught it before it got too bad and the would put a hold on customers accounts and notify them to come in to a branch. We always advised lodging a police report and getting an event number from them. You will more often than not see a small odd amount transaction before the big ones, they do this to "test" to see if it will work. Seeing that your transactions are still pending then it really should not take very long for your money to be made available to you again as they haven't actually sent it yet. I've had a bad experience where someone used my credit card to buy p0rn via paypal. They did not use my paypal and paypal confirmed this but Westpac stuffed me around for so long and then said it was too long ago to credit me back so I lost over $500. Just make sure that they cancel your card and issue you a new one with a different number.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks everyone for the input.

I have now opened an account with one of the 'big 4' banks.

I can't help but feel this could have been handled much better had I not been with ING.

So now I wait for my money...fingers crossed it won't take an eternity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you look at the link I posted above, Visa says you should be reimbursed within 5 business days. If it takes longer, it goes against Visa's terms and they can get into a fair bit of trouble (at least that's what I was told by someone who works for a bank)