+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Angry Visa debit skimmed - anyone experienced this?

So I logged into my online banking this morning to discover most of my pay is GONE, and two large pending transactions on my account.

Some thieving scumbag has used my card details (VISA debit) to make unauthorised purchases. This is not a 'credit' card, this is my freaking income that has been stolen

My bank is ING and I immediately called them to cancel the card, but it could take weeks to get the money back (I've just lodged a dispute transaction form).

Gah, this is awful

Has anyone had a similar thing happen, and if so, how long did it take for you to get the transactions refunded?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh thats horrible!! Hope they are able to get your money back asap!

We have had it happen before- some 'photography' company tried taking a fairly large amount out of our account (we have debit cards as well)- the bank picked up on it before we did and notified us, they froze the account immediately until they confirmed we authorised it or not. Was very grateful!

A few times we have had unauthorised direct debits come out (things we had authorised but they took a lot more than we authorised), the bank was on it as soon as we called and refunded our money. They said it would take a few weeks but was back in our bank the same day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    So I logged into my online banking this morning to discover most of my pay is GONE, and two large pending transactions on my account.

Some thieving scumbag has used my card details (VISA debit) to make unauthorised purchases. This is not a 'credit' card, this is my freaking income that has been stolen

My bank is ING and I immediately called them to cancel the card, but it could take weeks to get the money back (I've just lodged a dispute transaction form).

Gah, this is awful

Has anyone had a similar thing happen, and if so, how long did it take for you to get the transactions refunded?
    It took 5 weeks for us with a different bank. They were able to stop pending transactions but anything already gone was gone for the whole 5 weeks. Sorry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh no! Not nice at all 😱

My only experience with fraudulent use was when my handbag was stolen (my phone was in the bag so had to wait till I could get in touch with DH to cancel cards). So in 30 mins they went PayPass mad...but weirdly most of the transactions where for 30c items??? I mean what were they buying? Freddo Frogs?

The bank was pretty good with refunding (except for one transaction weirdly) but it did take about 3 weeks all up. Annoying but it was just refunded to our credit card. Heaps worse for you as they used your actual money so you can't even access that!

I really hope the bank moves fast for you! Do you have any idea where your details got skimmed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I just googled the name of one of the purchases and it's a gun shop in America that doesn't ship internationally.

I also feel an extra level of suspicion now, as they have hit up my bank account within a very short time frame of my pay going in. If anyone could see my banking patterns, they would know that on Wednesday mornings my account balance significantly decreases as I pay all my bills.

I feel really vulnerable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Timing does seem suspicious doesn't it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    I really hope the bank moves fast for you! Do you have any idea where your details got skimmed?
    The fellow I spoke with at ING said it's often from using an ATM, though I rarely use ATM's. I don't use my visa debit for online purchases, so maybe he's right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also a thought - if you have any direct debits coming out of that account it may be an idea to contact the companies to postpone or delay transactions until you have funds as you don't need rejection fees on top of this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    Also a thought - if you have any direct debits coming out of that account it may be an idea to contact the companies to postpone or delay transactions until you have funds as you don't need rejection fees on top of this!
    Good point. Thankfully I had *some* savings aside and I was able to transfer some money back into my everyday account to cover it. It's a lucky thing I get paid weekly.

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Mine was skimmed but luckily the bank caught it before I did with an odd overseas transaction. They didn't release the funds.

I hope you get your funds returned quickly. In the meantime change all your online passwords, banking and anything linked - ie. PayPal.

If you bank on your computer run scanning software to ensure there is no malicious software downloaded accidentally on the machine.

If you are feeling really vulnerable change banks (if that is an option) and start with a clean slate.