+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh you ladies are the best! Your personal stories and practical advice have been so helpful. It's nice to know these things so I feel a little more in control about the whole thing, eases the nerves. Petrified about the first BM because I already suffer pregnancy constipation and associated 'ailments' IYKWIM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Koarlo View Post
    Oh you ladies are the best! Your personal stories and practical advice have been so helpful. It's nice to know these things so I feel a little more in control about the whole thing, eases the nerves. Petrified about the first BM because I already suffer pregnancy constipation and associated 'ailments' IYKWIM
    I was also petrified about the first poo! I had an emergency c-section so no advice about the lead up but post? Definitely ask for laxatives asap - let the nurses know that you have constipation issues and as SOON as you feel anything in the chamber, shuffle yourself to the toilet (ring the bell if you aren't steady on your feet) and support your wound and just try and get things moving.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Koarlo  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    In regards to that all important first poo, don't stress about it happening straight away. It will usually take 2-3 days after your c/s for things to happen. When you do go, have a little stool in the bathroom for you to put your feet on. This will help open up your back passage and make it easier.

Also drink lots of water, if you're taking endone/oxycodone/anything with codeine in it, ask for something in the first couple of days. Movicol, lactulose or the like. Steer clear of fibre supplements like Metamucil, psyllium husk etc as with the stronger drugs mentioned above can all cause constipation and fibre isn't recommended for medication related constipation. Drink pear or prune juice when they offer it as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was booked for a scheduled c section but wound up with an emergency. I'm not sure why now, but I hadn't packed hot packs? One of the weird side effects of the Eli can be (residual) wind pain? Mine was in my shoulder-weird I know but it passes in a few days. It was quite painful and only hot packs and peppermint tea seemed to help.

My mum was allowed in recovery with me but on hearing everyone else I'm thinking they may have gotten her as I'm very anxious and hubby with in the scn with bub. I had requested them both in theatre too but was only allowed one.

Like everyone else, food was the last thing on my mind. So disappointing as you dream of those forbidden foods the whole time then suddenly aren't interested lol

Just s heads up too as I found this a bit confronting, you often get a clean after your c section by the nurse and the wiping down there was just odd...not bad or painful, just odd with the numbness and the area so I had just wished I'd had a heads up

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tootsiegirl For This Useful Post:

Koarlo  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Gosh this is bringing back memories of how I was feeling before my C-section.

It was my birthday the day before I had the c/s, so I spent the day packing and re-packing my Hospital bag and then baked myself the biggest, chocolate birthday cake!

I didn't have my Mum at the Hospital, only my DH, however he stayed with bub holding her with skin to skin contact whilst I was in recovery. I think I wrote that in my birth plan I had.

I don't have big breasts, so I found the lying down to breastfeed a bit tricky in the early days, but I just propped bub up on a pillow.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but make sure you have some 'Granny undies', as in, briefs that cover your wound, as you don't want to be wearing undies where the elastic sits on your scar. I also made sure all my undies were black.

I too was petrified about my first B.M, however I was given some Movicol to drink and it ended being way better than I thought it would be. I also used a little foot stool which helped immensely.

Another thing I didn't know about, is the possibility of 'wind pain' inside your stomach after being opened up. The air bubble pain was at times excruciating and I had no idea what was wrong with me. I'm not saying this will happen to you, however, I wish I had known it was a possibility. In that case, make sure you have some 'De-gas' or similar in your bag or at home (just in case).

Another I used to do was gently blow dry my wound once it was un-covered and/or sit in the sun for a few minutes to air it out, it helped a lot.

All the very best, I hope you have a safe and beautiful birth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Koarlo  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if it's been mentioned or not but with my planned c-section I was woken up at 5am (stayed in hospital the night before) to eat breakfast then I was nil by mouth until after my c-section which was at 1pm. The nurses in recovery were naughty and gave me a lemonade icy pole because I was soooo thirsty and then once I was back in my room I was allowed sips of water. The midwife said to only have sips of water to start with it to avoid bringing everything back up again. I think I had dinner that night but can't really remember. Funnily enough with my emergency c-section nothing was ever mentioned about food and drink afterwards but they were at different hospitals.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Koarlo  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What did you do the day before your scheduled CS?
    The morning of mine we wished my mum a happy birthday! Yep bub born on her birthday. i took dad to work and we peeled and cut 5kgs of apples and stewed them up...

Will my mum be able to visit me in recovery?
    you shouldn't be there long. my df was with me. mum was waiting with our 4yo in my room when i got wheeled back in.

How did the first breastfeed go, did you feed laying down? laying down. mws held bub. in recovery and helped position for the first few until i was sitting up enough.

What foods did you eat the day before your scheduled CS?
    Normal food. morning of i was allowed a light breakfast before 7am so had one piece of vegiemite on toast.

Should I pack a snack bag now for when I'm able to eat solids again or should I wait and get DH to bring some stuff in?
    i took some. didn't eat any but at least they were there. its upto you.

Call the mws whenever you need. they don't mind
    try get moving as soon as possible.
    raise the bed riiiiight up so you can see bub easily
    limit visitors. i actually called everyone - even df on my 3rd (i think) day and said i needed sleep, please don't visit till i call, and please tell everyone I'm not wanting visitor's today. it was hard as i. missed my 4yo like crazy but i needed it as id gotten about 5hrs broken. sleep since the first night as i felt i had to entertain my visitor's.

Congratulations in advance, and good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Koarlo  (16-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll definitely ask for movicol then. Should I skip the metamucil sachets I bought?

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did it go??? Honestly, I didn't have that much toilet trouble...I was just nervous. Give it a few days before you try anything- you may be fine! I was recommended to try something basic and gentle like actilax on day 3 and to have prunes with breakfast. Something worked, it was fine. You won't want to be rushing to the toilet as many stronger laxatives will make you do (and the possible cramped Ng they cause...)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Koarlo View Post
    I'll definitely ask for movicol then. Should I skip the metamucil sachets I bought?
    Yeah, at least until you're off the stronger pain relief. Good luck!