+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default C-section, Last minute tips and Q's.

Hi, I've got one day left till my scheduled c-section. I'm after some last minute tips to help me either before, during or after the birth.

Other general questions; What did you do the day before your scheduled CS?
    Will my mum be able to visit me in recovery?
    How did the first breastfeed go, did you feed laying down?

Food Questions; What foods did you eat the day before your scheduled CS?
    Should I pack a snack bag now for when I'm able to eat solids again or should I wait and get DH to bring some stuff in?

Thanks fellow hubbers, a little nervous but very excited.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koarlo View Post
    Hi, I've got one day left till my scheduled c-section. I'm after some last minute tips to help me either before, during or after the birth.

Other general questions; What did you do the day before your scheduled CS?

Should I pack a snack bag now for when I'm able to eat solids again or should I wait and get DH to bring some stuff in?

Thanks fellow hubbers, a little nervous but very excited.
    The day before I got my hair cut :-). It was a long while before I could do that again.

I'm not sure if they let anyone other than your partner into recovery but you could ask. If it's like me, you're actually not there very long anyway and it's fairly busy with nurses checking your obs and trying to get baby to latch. That was where I did my first breastfeed and yes, I was laying down and they helped to hold the baby in position. All breast feeds were laying down for the first day or so.

I can't recall what I ate before. Normal food I guess. I didn't take any snacks. The hospital gave me food as soon as I was ready for some. That was a private hospital so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Good luck for tomorrow. Such an exciting day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsErinR For This Useful Post:

Koarlo  (15-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    What did you do the day before your scheduled CS?
    --Mine was an emergency so not relevant.

--Nope but you're only there for 15 minutes. Your baby will be waiting for you when you get out

--I just stuck him straight on while I was in bed with the back angled up so sort of reclining. I was so excited to breastfeed and I think that helped.

--n/a

--You won't care that much about food but by all means have some favourite things handy.
    I
    --take in a camera and some music if you like
    --if someone is coming into theatre with you,ask them if they want to see behind the curtain or not. If not, tell the doctors so they can tell your companion where to look to avoid seeing you opened up
    --ask for delayed cord clamping. Waiting a bit allows a huge volume of blood to transfer to bubba

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Koarlo  (15-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Ps good luck. It's not so scary and it won't hurt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine was an emergency c-section and I was under a general anesthetic so it was just me in recovery for a long while and bub was with hubby in the ward.
    As soon as I was taken up to the ward, I fed my daughter and I was semi-reclined but was able to hold her on my own.
    Make sure you have undies which are full, high briefs - they support your wound really well and don't rub on it. I got some cheap black ones from Target.
    Make sure you take it easy, good luck!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Koarlo  (15-09-2015),Skye Baby  (15-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How exciting! Congratulations for your big day. I bet you can't wait until you have bubs in your arms!

Before your c/s: shower, shave legs, wash hair etc. Most people are surprised how grotty they feel after having an operation. That first shower after will be amazing. If you do those few little things first, it will make you feel slightly better to tide you over.

During your c/s: chat to your hubby, chat to your anaesthetist (they're often very good at distraction haha) and most importantly, hand over your camera or phone. The anaesthetists or their assistants are usually stars at getting awesome action shots of your little ones arrival while escaping all the gory stuff.

After your c/s: limit your visitors, at least for the day of your c/s. You'll be a bit sore once the spinal wears off and will still be bleeding. I know a lot of mums feel uncomfortable with lots of visitors while sitting on a blood soaked pad and not being able to do anything about it. Once you're up and about its so much easier.

It's unlikely your mum will be able to come into recovery, but you won't know until you ask. The hard thing will be that theaters and recovery are usually in restricted areas with staff access only, so it will be hard for your mum to actually get in without staff going and getting her. Worst case scenario, she should be able to wait on the ward for you and see you all the moment you return.

First breastfeed should occur in theatre/recovery. Yes you will be lying down, it's not great, but the nurses and midwives will do what they can to facilitate a comfortable breastfeed. Once you're up on the ward, you'll be able to sit up a bit more, but I generally find its hard for mums to get comfortable breastfeeding in bed for the first 12-24hrs after a c/s.

Food: eat whatever you want the day before! Enjoy! The day of your c/s though, my general recommendation is to eat food you're happy to vomit up! You may feel nauseated during or after your c/s, and the last thing you want is the OJ burn coming up your throat. For what it's worth, they WILL NOT want you to vomit, so let your nurse/midwife/anaesthetist know ASAP so they can give you something before it's too late.

By all means, pack a snack bag of food. You'll definitely want snacks for when you're awake in the middle of the night. The day of your c/s though, don't eat food until the staff allow you to eat. If you eat too soon you can have issues with nausea and vomiting, plus issues with your bowels (the peristaltic motion of your bowel is temporarily disrupted during any abdominal surgery). You could end up quite sick.

My most important advice though is to just breathe! It's very overwhelming for some people going into an operating theatre, having the spinal put in and then the sensation of being numb from the belly down. Think of things you can use for distraction. Keep talking to each other as well. It will help keep the nerves at bay, and before you know it your doctor will be telling you your baby is out.

Obviously my advice is only from "the other side" and I'm sure other hubbers will have a wealth of tips and tricks to get you through. Good luck and best wishes!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (16-09-2015),Koarlo  (15-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can eat anything straight away. No special diet needed before or after..

dd went to her daddy and met her poppy and brother before I got a cuddle but it didn't worry me. I asked him to take her to meet them first.

I wore granny undies as they were higher up and didn't run on wound..

I fed her half laying down half sitting up.

Best thing I did was if I had to cough or sneeze I held a pillow to my wound. Seemed to help with the pain

Catheter and drip were out 12 hours later and I was up walking and showering as soon as they were out.

Good luck and confratulations

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Koarlo  (15-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The day before my c-section was my birthday! That morning we had an appointment with my OB & after diagnosing pre-eclampsia I was told I would be admitted to hospital that night & baby the next day. So DH & I went out for lunch (big burger!), came home & I triple checked my bags. Then on the way to the hospital we got noodles for dinner.

Day of c-section I had DH there. Mum didn't listen to me & visited while I was still in recovery (I didn't want anyone apart from DH there but of course she didn't listen). I couldn't keep any food down for ages after my c-section. I didn't want snacks but it would probably be a good idea for your partner.

As soon as we had baby & I was stitched up the nurses helped me breastfeed. I was still laying down & couldn't move so they asked me if it was ok then latched baby on me. They were really good as I had no idea about anything

Good luck, it'll go by quickly & you'll have your beautiful baby in your arms before you know it

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

Koarlo  (15-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was emergency so no plans for the day before. But I think shaving legs, washing hair etc is a good idea!

No one was allowed with me in recovery apart from my husband who was present at the birth. I was too busy vomiting anyhow!

First breastfeed was great. I was back on the ward, as my blood pressure had to stabilise first, and I was semi reclining.

Just see how you feel about food. I had zero appetite for days afterwards thanks to all the drugs and just the general effects of surgery. DH can bring whatever you fancy at the time.

Another tip, please take the laxatives they'll give you because I didn't think I needed them then didn't go for a week afterwards thanks to the codeine! Lol

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Koarlo  (15-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh yeah I forgot about the laxatives!! If you need them - take them! I got a liquid one and it just tasted like delicious sugary sweetness.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Koarlo  (15-09-2015)