+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Applying for a rental as a single parent

Hi. I'm hoping for some advice on applying for a rental property. A bit of background, I currently have a 9 week old baby & two older children, 3 & 5. My partner left when I was at the end of my pregnancy and I had to move back in with my parents. My mental health is starting to take a beating as a result, my parents are quite over bearing, my kids don't respect any rules because it's not my house etc.
    anyway, long story short, I'm wanting to try and secure a rental for me and my kids. Does anyone have any hints or tips regarding strengthening my application? I've essentially rented privately through my parents (in their investment property) for the past 5 years. I'm currently on maternity leave but have regular work to go back to and I am receiving the single parent pension. Is it even possible to find a place given my circumstances? How can I make myself seem more desirable to a landlord? Thanks for any replies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I got the second rental I applied for as a single parent. Didn't do anything extra to secure it but you could add a cover letter perhaps explaining your situation and previous rental history.

I didn't have any myself so just applied anyway and I got it.

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DreamyMummy For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (15-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely agree with the cover letter-explaining your current situation and reinforce the positives (job to go back to, etc.). Good luck OP!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chillies For This Useful Post:

peanuthead  (15-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. @DreamyMummy, did you have any other form of income or just the single parent payment if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
    Thanks ladies. @DreamyMummy, did you have any other form of income or just the single parent payment if you don't mind me asking.
    I didn't, just parenting payment and family tax benefit, I did secure work after getting it but not at the time of applying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamyMummy View Post
    I didn't, just parenting payment and family tax benefit, I did secure work after getting it but not at the time of applying.
    Awesome, that gives me some hope!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wrote a cover letter too. And provided them with a lot of supporting info. I will reply more later.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

peanuthead  (15-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK so I have gotten 2 rentals as a single parent, after applying for so so many. This is what I did different-
    I wrote a cover letter. I introduced myself and my kids, explained that they are quiet in personality, I made sure to put in there a reference to my separation or ex husband or something, just to try and subtly point out that I was not one of 'those' single mums (yes these stereotypes do still exist), that I was studying a uni degree, I also put in there that I had an investment property (which was my marital home that I was selling) but I put that it was tenanted and that I know the importance of getting a good tenant that respects the property etc etc.

The other thing I did was I provided paperwork to everything they needed plus more, before they asked for it. ie 100 points of ID, bank statements, bank balances (to show I could immediately pay deposit and bond), Centrelink statements, child support statements, pay slips (I was only casual), and written references. The real estate was sooooo impressed at all of this and told me this is the reason they gave me the place, because they didn't have to go back and forth digging for documents off me.

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps. I've started on a cover letter, but I'm not sure of im on the right track, putting in too much info or not enough. Do you think I could show you where I'm at with it & you could tell me if I'm on the right track?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey OP, how have you got on with your applications?