+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much should a 2.5 year old be talking?

So I am wondering if anyone can tell me how much a 2.5 year old should be talking/saying. Someone just told my mum that my 2.5 year old twins have their own language and aren't talking as much as other 2 year olds. I don't agree at all, I think they are talking just as much as any other 2 year old I know in fact I thought they were talking much clearer than other kids we know the same age. They say everything you ask them to they have conversations with us. They ask questions and daily are saying things that I am not even sure how they learnt it. And they do make believe play together and it sounds like a normal conversation not baby talk. I also have a 3.5 year old but he doesn't talk so I don't really have much to compare it to other than other children we know. I tried to have a conversation with my mum about what exactly was said but she is annoyed that I am offended by it. I think I have a right to be offended when I don't agree. I don't think they have their own language either, they play really well together but they don't say words that people can't understand but they seem to understand each other. They don't do that at all. This person that told my mother this has met them for maybe 15-20 minutes 3 or 4 times. They do get really shy when people they are not familiar with are around so I don't think it's fair to make that assumption that they don't talk as much as other 2 year olds when she doesn't know them or have had much interaction with them. Anyway my eldest son has a speech therapist coming to the house next week so I will ask her just for myself because maybe i can understand them but others can't. But I wanted to get other peoples thought because I am just so annoyed at the moment. I really think I could become a hermit and hide away and never see people sometimes. 😔

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    They sound fine to me!

Ask the speech therapist about language/speech expectations for 2.5 year olds, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (15-09-2015)