+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    Fair enough. I guess I'd be fairly miffed if I had to go in as we live about an hour away from the birth centre, to go in for a check then go home again simply isn't practical.

If I had any other issues or was GBS +ve I would have a different stance.
    It is hard when people are a distance away. But at the end of the day, they chose to deliver at our hospital knowing full well how far (or close) we were to their house. We can't make people come in, and that would have to be a judgement call on their behalf. We just document that they refuse to come in for assessment then if something goes wrong they can't complain about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agreed, but everywhere I could birth is a 40+ min drive, not a lot of choice but that's our choice to live semi rural. You have inspired me to check with my midwife that our FBC practice has not changed in the past year to requiring mums to come in on rupture of membranes, although I can't imagine it has.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At least you are informed, understand the risks and aren't stupid about it. Some people just don't understand the consequences. We get people that don't even tell us that their waters have broken. They come in during spurious labour and then go, "yeah I've been leaking fluid for about a week. It's greeny yellow and smells funny". It's like banging your head against a wall sometimes. The best thing we can do is inform people of the risks/rationale behind notifying and presenting to hospital. It's up to them what they do with the information.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    Fair enough. I guess I'd be fairly miffed if I had to go in as we live about an hour away from the birth centre, to go in for a check then go home again simply isn't practical.

If I had any other issues or was GBS +ve I would have a different stance.
    I was gbs+ and the birth centre still wasn't concerned about me rushing in. My waters broke at 1.30 at home and I got to hospital around 6am after having contractions for several hours. The midwife on the phone told me to stay home longer but I went in anyway to see my own midwife. I was only told to watch for colored fluids or signs of a prolapsed cord.

It makes me nervous when I hear info like this - I don't really get why some hospitals make you rush in and others are much more relaxed about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm being induced for an attempted vbac on sunday night with a cook's catheter. I was told if i go into labour on my own or my waters break before then to go straight in for monitoring due to risk of uterine rupture, pre eclampsia etc
    Last edited by meandmyboys82; 15-09-2015 at 10:39.