+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Labour question

I had a csection as my first birth. Second was a vbac and I had to go to the hospital straight away. I'm currently pregnant with my third. My question is, after I have had a successful vbac, am I required to still go to the hospital straight away when I go into labour?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I wouldn't be heading in ridiculously early - they'll still send you home if you're just in early labour.

Head in once active labour starts, your waters break or you have any other concerns.
    My waters broke with my second and I called the hospital. They told me to come up as soon as I could. Would my waters breaking be the reason they asked me to come up asap?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah only go in when you need to. I'm in the same situation as you. First birth c section, second was a vbac and now 29 weeks pregnant with number 3. I won't be going in until labour is established, but can be seen by my birth centre midwife at home before that for assessment. And last time my midwife was ok for me to remain at home once my waters had broken as long as they were the right colour. So I did.
    They often like VBACs to go in a little sooner because of monitoring you more closely, but I'll be holding off as long as I can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would talk to your health professional. personally for me next time I must go in at the earliest sign of labour as I dilate very quickly ( literally just made it to hospital with my 2nd). If I wait until contractions are close together I'll be having an accidental home birth

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was supposed to go in early with both vbac's. I'm not great at judging that though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why do they ask you to go to hospital if your waters break? I had a c-section for my first birth (velamentous cord insertion) but my waters broke the day before the c-section was scheduled... The hospital asked me to come in straight away but I assumed that was because of my cord issue? I'll be attempting a VBAC in February next year. If my waters break again before contractions start (like last time) will I need to go to hospital straight away again?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cant wait to be a mummy View Post
    Why do they ask you to go to hospital if your waters break? I had a c-section for my first birth (velamentous cord insertion) but my waters broke the day before the c-section was scheduled... The hospital asked me to come in straight away but I assumed that was because of my cord issue? I'll be attempting a VBAC in February next year. If my waters break again before contractions start (like last time) will I need to go to hospital straight away again?
    We ask all women to come in if they think their waters have broken for a variety of reasons.

1. We perform a speculum examination to rule out a cord presentation or cord prolapse. This is where the cord either sits in front of baby's head or prolapsed into the vagina. Cord presentation would mean a vaginal delivery is not recommended and a caesarean would be safest option. A cord prolapse is an obstetric emergency necessitating delivery ASAP.

2. To check the colour of the waters. If there is meconium in the water, they will likely want to induce your labour or offer a repeat c/s in your case if labour hasn't started.

3. To check that what you're actually feeling is amniotic fluid and not vaginal discharge. Not everyone has a big pop and gush, so any suspicion of ruptured waters needs confirmation.

4. Once your waters break, the sterile environment your baby is in becomes compromised. The risk of infection clearly skyrockets once the sac is compromised. If nothing is wrong when you present, then they'll be happy for you to go home and await labour to crack on, while monitoring your pulse and temperature for signs of infection.

Hope this helps.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (15-09-2015),Cant wait to be a mummy  (16-09-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (14-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    We ask all women to come in if they think their waters have broken for a variety of reasons.

1. We perform a speculum examination to rule out a cord presentation or cord prolapse. This is where the cord either sits in front of baby's head or prolapsed into the vagina. Cord presentation would mean a vaginal delivery is not recommended and a caesarean would be safest option. A cord prolapse is an obstetric emergency necessitating delivery ASAP.

2. To check the colour of the waters. If there is meconium in the water, they will likely want to induce your labour or offer a repeat c/s in your case if labour hasn't started.

3. To check that what you're actually feeling is amniotic fluid and not vaginal discharge. Not everyone has a big pop and gush, so any suspicion of ruptured waters needs confirmation.

4. Once your waters break, the sterile environment your baby is in becomes compromised. The risk of infection clearly skyrockets once the sac is compromised. If nothing is wrong when you present, then they'll be happy for you to go home and await labour to crack on, while monitoring your pulse and temperature for signs of infection.

Hope this helps.
    I understand this is routine and policy at your place of work but I have had a different experience both of my labours. I had rupture of membranes prior to established labour both times, both times I rang and they were happy for me to plod on along at home and wait for labour to establish, knowing that if that hadn't happened in 24 hrs I'd need ab's and induction.

First labour this took 12 hours before we headed in as labour established but in that time my midwife rang a few times to check movements and that my waters were still clear. Second went a lot quicker and we headed in after only 3 hours.

These are not VBAC experiences tho, but it seems like your saying across the board you get anyone with ruptured membranes to present straight away @M'LadyEm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    I understand this is routine and policy at your place of work but I have had a different experience both of my labours.

These are not VBAC experiences tho, but it seems like your saying across the board you get anyone with ruptured membranes to present straight away @M'LadyEm
    Correct. It only takes 1 bad outcome to change policy, and that is why our policy has changed. Most women are in and out within 10-15 minutes (unless it's horrendously busy in which case it's usually about half an hour). We explain to them on the phone our reasoning and most people are happy to comply. In saying that, as a busy hospital our chances of having a complication such as a cord prolapse/presentation, infection, meconium stained liquor (which happens relatively often) etc is much greater due to the sheer volume of people who come through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Correct. It only takes 1 bad outcome to change policy, and that is why our policy has changed. Most women are in and out within 10-15 minutes (unless it's horrendously busy in which case it's usually about half an hour). We explain to them on the phone our reasoning and most people are happy to comply. In saying that, as a busy hospital our chances of having a complication such as a cord prolapse/presentation, infection, meconium stained liquor (which happens relatively often) etc is much greater due to the sheer volume of people who come through.
    Fair enough. I guess I'd be fairly miffed if I had to go in as we live about an hour away from the birth centre, to go in for a check then go home again simply isn't practical.

If I had any other issues or was GBS +ve I would have a different stance.