+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    How are you feeling Monnie? I'm so over the phlegm and the coughing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mother has had pneumonia 3 times in the last 4 years and it is really hard on her being elderly. Last year when she had it she coughed for over 3mths and nothing helped, she had several different antibiotics and prednisone and it didn't budge until I read that black licorice can help and after a few days she had completely stopped coughing. She told her doctor and she confirmed it was a known remedy that had been used for thousands of years. Who knew. So now we always have a bag in the pantry and at the first sign of a cough or sore throat we are into it. Gives my mother the trots though. WARNING black licorice should NOT be eaten by pregnant women under ANY circumstances !!!! If you are going to give it a try it must be real licorice not fake stuff. We buy the Darrell Lea soft black licorice because it has real licorice extract and have 3-4 of the small sticks twice a day.

After my son had it when he was a child I gave him Olive Leave Extract and that really aided his recovery + lots of Vit C.

Hope you are feeling better soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Might try that WiseOldOwl. I'm partial to licorice. Might wait until I stop coughing up the phlegm thoughts don't want it sitting on my chest. I was taking huge doses of Vit C powder before finally getting diagnosed, but stopped as didn't know if it would react with the antibiotics. Seeing my Dr on Monday so was going to check that with him. I forgot to ask the chemist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I meant to say your poor Mum too. I can't imagine getting this and feeling this bad for this long every year :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know it's dreadful and she's missed family occasions because of it and when DS2 was in hospital last year she couldn't go to see him. Thankfully she didn't get it this year (yet) and we think that's because she had the licorice every time something started to come on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm half way through my antibiotics I'm feeling a bit better I have had two chiro trips and a physio so I'm not sure if that's helped.

Interesting about the licorice I will buy some even though I hate it I will just get choc covered 😝 I take olive leaf have done for years. Even the kids do. I get the peppermint flavour and they think it's panadol 😏

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I'm half way through my antibiotics I'm feeling a bit better I have had two chiro trips and a physio so I'm not sure if that's helped.

Interesting about the licorice I will buy some even though I hate it I will just get choc covered I take olive leaf have done for years. Even the kids do. I get the peppermint flavour and they think it's panadol
    What's half way? I'm on day 11 and while my cough is less, that's the only real improvement. I still can't breathe deeply/normally, still have next to no energy and just feel shattered . I'm on a dose of 1000mg of Clarithromycin, and it obvious,y hasn't killed the bug yet as still coughing up phlegm.

I'm just so tired and grumpy. And I feel awful as the kids are suffering as I just don't have the energy to do anything with them. The husband has been good with cooking and cleaning, but he might have to go away for 3 days this week for work and that scares me! I've only managed to cook once in the last fortnight and it wore me out completely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I've turned the corner. Starting to feel better finally. WiseOldOwl - I'm going to try your licorice trick. I'm still coughing a bit, but only getting phlegm a couple of times a day so hopefully it will help the cough go away finally and my throat can heal. I have finally got my voice back after a month, but I sound very rough.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Clooney For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (26-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to hear your finally on the mend. Definitely give it a try,hope it does the trick so you can finally kick the bug to the kerb.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Clooney View Post
    I think I've turned the corner. Starting to feel better finally. WiseOldOwl - I'm going to try your licorice trick. I'm still coughing a bit, but only getting phlegm a couple of times a day so hopefully it will help the cough go away finally and my throat can heal. I have finally got my voice back after a month, but I sound very rough.
    Yup, glad you're on the mend it's horrid being sick especially when you have kids x