+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Behavior Issues - 20 Month Old

DD is missbehaving a lot lately. She has a very bad temper when she doesn't get what she wants. She only says a few words so I know it has a lot to do with frustration (hopefully?) and she isn't in childcare yet maybe they will do a better job in teaching her social skills with other children.

When she is around other kids she has the urge to grab, push, bite, pull hair or take what they have. She will push and shove them until I stop her. These poor kids are doing nothing wrong. Dh and I try not to give her a small smack on the hand but try to talk to her. She doesn't get 'time-out' yet and chucks the biggest tantrum when we take things off her as punishment I.e if she throws the iPad on the floor.

Will she grow out of this? Any helpful tips? I'm too embarrassed to take her to anymore playgroups at the moment.
    Last edited by Rachael3; 14-09-2015 at 05:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's all totally normal at least for my 21 month old, she will definitely grow out of it if you show her what is expected, keep boundaries firm and choose your battles. The tantrums are hard to deal with but totally normal and I just explain it to
    DH that she is learning how to cope with her emotions and it's all about working out which tantrums she needs help through. Often my DD will have a tantrum and there is Some chance of reasoning with her but other times there's no chance so I just scoop her up and remove her from the situation. My CHN explained it to me like adults: sometimes there are situations we can deal with on our own we might get a little heated then we move on but then other times we need to call or talk to someone to help us work out our emotions and calm down - same thing with toddlers.

They dont understand that that an action hurts yet but I usually try saying ohhh that hurts mummy when you hit/push like that and makes mummy not want to play with you,ignore behaviour and turn slightly away from her. Heaps of praise when she is doing things you like, ohhh dd i love how you're reading that book quietly, good girl putting your plate on the bench,etc etc. don't stop taking her to the park(I know it's embarrassing) I have a pusher too I give 2 warnings and then we leave, every warning needs a consequence so she can understand that her and your actions mean something and make the choice (hopefully the right one),so I say "our friends don't like it when we push/pinch etc, if you do that again we will have to go home" keep it simple and follow through. Toddlers are hard work!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

Rachael3  (14-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is just like this and still now at 25months can be rough with other kids. Shes defiantly getting better lately though. I often watch other kids doing the same thing and think its more down to a communication issue and frustration with not being able to express their wants. Toddlers!! O the fun!! also who decided to make them so strong!! Lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Rue For This Useful Post:

Rachael3  (14-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Normal toddler,
    My 2 yo doesn't touch the iPad for this reason and I would watch as I know he can be agresive

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ThenThereWereThree For This Useful Post:

Rachael3  (14-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thx everyone will try your tips especially threatening to leave the park/playgroup and follow through with it.