+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Weaning from the breast

As the title suggests i have decided to wean DS (6 weeks) from the breast. We have had issues with him sucking for hours at a time and we have found the issue is i am not having a let down. No matter how hard i try to make it 'let down' i dont. This led to a cranky hungry overtired baby and he hadnt put on the recommended weight at his last check up. It also led to a cranky tired Mummy!

We have already started supplementing feeds for bottles and he is a different baby. So happy and will sleep, he is content playing rather then only being on my boob. At first i thought id mix feed but now i want to fully wean.

I am wondering how you weaned without issues with mastitis etc and any tips you have for me to get through? I guess im wondering what the timeline would be before my milk dries up.

Today we:

BF 230am
    BF 5am
    FF 730am
    FF 1030am
    BF 1230pm
    FF 320pm

So i made it until 1230 before my breasts were slightly engorged. I dont know if thats a reflection of my undersupply? But it almost seems too easy?

Can anyone suggest the best 'routine' for me for knocking off the BF?

Sorry my post is a bit all over the place!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you have a pump? I have not weaned yet (I have a 2.5yo though *sigh*) so have no experience but I would probably try and drop the 2.30am feed first. If you feel engorged and have a pump - just have a little pump until you have relief (hand expressing is fine too). Then I would drop the 12.30pm feed. Leaving the last being the morning feed. Use cold cabbage leaves. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I weaned ds1 at 6 months so he wasn't having as many feeds by then especially overnight but was still having 3 hourly feeds during the day. I just gradually dropped a feed over a few days at a time and then down to one a day for a while, then every other day for a few before stopping. I never had any issues with engorgement or mastitis but your supply may be different as baby is so young. I didn't express or pump but as I said I didn't get engorged much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As he sleeps for 6-7 hours overnight i think my breasts are kind of used to the long stints and dont get very engorged. They start to hurt a little and i can tell i need to feed him or release some milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I weaned both of mine (at 3mo and 5mo) quickly. I just dropped feeds and expressed by hand for comfort. I had a few days where I was a little uncomfortable but it didn't last long. I did it over about 4 days with DD (supply was rubbish anyway and she was comp fed since birth) and about a week or two with DS. It was harder with DS as I had a well established supply.

If you want to do it slowly just drop a feed every few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I would also drop one feed a day for 2/3 days and slowly wean like that. Your body will soon catch up and you shouldn't get engorged.

You just need to be careful not to express off too much if you do get I comfortable or you will continue producing milk. But by cutting out 1 bottle at a time you shouldn't get engorged anyway.

Good luck!