+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you have a funeral plan (morbid topic I know)

Just as the title says do you have a funeral plan? I have thought about what I would like on and off over the years but never told anyone exactly what I want, so after losing Dad and seeing how sudden it a life can end I am obsessed with getting every detail in place like wills and insurances for the kids and DH. Then I realised well no one really knows what I want so I sat down and made a list of everything like choices of who I would like to do the eulogy and other speakers and what I want to be wearing, the songs I want played and what to do with my ashes and I said to DH I would like him to do a plan to but so far he is resisting and I think he thinks I am being a little nuts but I told him it's not crazy to love and respect him enough to want to give him the send off he wants but he still says it's not a normal thing to do. So I ask who has done up a funeral plan? Or is it not normal and I am just crazy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Whilst we don't have a funeral payment plan we know the wishes of each other. Before dh leaves on deployment we sort this stuff out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure if you mean a payment plan for funeral as well? If so, I don't think its necessary. Check your life insurance and many (I think most if not all) release funds in order to cover a funeral. Regarding all the wishes you want - I think its lovely. I would guess you can add this all in your will.

And you're not crazy. Sometimes when someone close to us passes away unexpectedly we question mortality - it's normal.

When it comes to your DH you can explain why - it's ultimately up to him but it may make you feel better to write it all down.

Lots of hugs to you. I know you are going through a tough time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I don't have a paid plan.
    Everyone knows my wishes.
    Whatever is cheapest and save the money for the living (family). No service as such just a family day where the people who love me remember the things we did together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have mums entire service written down on goggle drive. What songs
    What verses
    Who is to do what.

All that was important to her so we went through and planned it all before one of her operations.
    Our family has had a sudden unexpected death in the last few years so we have all talked about it a fair bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, mine's planned. We have our cemetery plots leased because our stillborn son is in one of them. Death has been something I've thought about a lot, even as a child. I'm probably a weirdo haha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely we do! Was pretty organised as it was being the people we are but even more so after FIL passed away earlier this year. He didn't have a plan in place really, everyone put their two cents worth in thinking they knew what he wanted etc, there were disagreements along the way but it did all come together and was lovely in the end. Remembering dates and times was a challenge too.

Dh and I have now discussed things in more depth as to what we each want and have written stories on our lives, inclyding the songs we each want. Our wishes are clear, our history is clear. Noone needs to argue or guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    not really no. don't have wills done yet either which is something we prob should get onto actioning.

re actual funeral/burial plans, I have no idea what dh wants. I think I would like to be cremated and have ashes scattered in the ocean but no idea beyond that.

I don't like/trust the idea of those funeral payment plans. they make me nervous and I'd sooner put $20 aside each week/fortnight into a separate account of my own rather than hand money over to someone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So glad I am not the only one. I don't mean a payment plan (we have coverage in our insurance) but things like what songs and ashes or buried and things like that. After exposing things (for what feels like the 100th time) DH has now typed up a plan so next time we go to the solicitor we will get our plans added to our wills.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, DF and I have spoken about it. We know each other's wishes.
    Wills are done, we have spoken to who we would like the children to go to.